Notices

Well here I sit to clean up the mess again.

Old 03-18-2014, 08:17 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Well here I sit to clean up the mess again.

I'm not talking about a DUI or anything like that, I am talking about my house, chores, errands, banking, job hunting. I am 61, retired at 59, regret it, money is dwindling. I used to drink every night after work, now I am binge drinking badly. With time on my hands, I start in the morning & put ice in my wine & basically slowly drink all day till I basically pass out in my bed after late night TV. I'll get 2 weeks sober & then binge drink for like 5 days. The pattern starts with some sort of emotional upset(mild or big). Last week it was after a job interview where they asked me if I could climb a ladder(store displays). I can't climb one, I am 25 lbs overweight, arthritis in the knees, & something wrong with right foot. I don't even know if I can be on my feet all day for a shift. Retail jobs seem to be the only jobs available to someone of my age. I am still smart, funny, friendly, don't look my age & can still be an excellent employee! So, basically here I sit with laptop watching Rachel Ray & know I will be cleaning up all the empties today & this mess surrounding me & starting on Day 1 yet again.
Old 03-18-2014, 08:45 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Just try again. You can do it xxxxxx
Old 03-18-2014, 08:57 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Welcome back. Your despair comes through clear in your post. Quitting is the obvious solution.
Old 03-18-2014, 09:11 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I understand. That is what I did on Saturday.....slipped and started over....sort of the same circumstance. Made a poor decision to stop at the store and slowly chipped away at the bottle....

I would be in trouble if I wasn't working....I'm 44.

Stress is a common trigger for many of us.

Part of my advice would be to spend more time on here until you get things in order. You'll get things straightened out.....just try to be positive and patient.
Old 03-18-2014, 09:19 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

do you think you are or could be justifying your inability to work due to your drinking habits or an excuse not to work?
Old 03-18-2014, 09:19 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by doggonecarl View Post
Welcome back. Your despair comes through clear in your post. Quitting is the obvious solution.
Amen.

A journey of a thousand miles begins with one step. And that first step is the realization that drinking does not make things "better."

Never has. Never will.
Old 03-18-2014, 09:30 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Glad you posted about this missy! There's no doubt you can get back on track and stay there this time. I understand so well about thinking a drink will calm your nerves - but it does just the opposite. My anxiety was through the roof all the time at the end of my drinking career. Our days of drinking for fun & relaxation are long gone & never coming back. Life is so much better without it. We are here for you missylou - you can do this.
Old 03-18-2014, 10:10 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Just a suggestion! If you didn't drink you wouldn't need to go back to work. You could volunteer somewhere?
Old 03-18-2014, 10:23 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Missy I feel for you as I know how frustrating it is, boredom plays a big role also with drinking. I agree with the other poster, could you volunteer somewhere a few hours a week? Would get you out and about at least until something came up and split up the day
Old 03-18-2014, 11:24 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

With work comes commitment and with commitment comes responsibility. Responsibility typical involves good decision making. And you mentioned you could use the money.

Go for it!....you'll find that job you're looking for.
Old 03-18-2014, 12:54 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I have worked in an office for the last 20 years, but I tried retail about a year and half ago. I worked at Ulta- a wonderful cosmetic store, and for about a month your feet and back will hurt.

I took Advil after a shift for a while. I will tell you one thing: you will not want to work retail hungover. You have to be sharp. Or maybe it is a mental tick of mine to try to excel as much as humanely possible at every thing I do.

At any rate, I encourage you to to go to an AA meeting.
Old 05-10-2014, 03:33 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I re-visited my post just now, and I am in the same frickin boat today! Why can't I just leave wine alone. I am miserable today after a week of sitting on the couch drinking.
Old 05-10-2014, 03:53 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Missylou, can you sign on with a temp service? A lot of times, full time work comes from a temp job. Also, can you volunteer somewhere as a way to get you out of the house during the day? Do you like animals? Rescues and animal shelters are always looking for volunteers. You can google "Volunteer opportunities in _________, Colorado to find other opportunities.

Hang in there and find something to occupy your time so you aren't just sitting at home with nothing to do but drink. You can do this! (((HUGS)))
Old 05-10-2014, 03:55 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

You must have enough evidence that your best thinking on how to get sober isn't working? If so go and get help today and try something new. Have you been to AA?

At 61 (old for a drunk, young for a teetotaller:-)) and assuming you have been drinking a while telling you it will be ok and keep trying seems to me like taking the p*ss!
Old 05-10-2014, 03:57 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by missylou View Post
I re-visited my post just now, and I am in the same frickin boat today! Why can't I just leave wine alone. I am miserable today after a week of sitting on the couch drinking.

Starting early was a problem for me as well ,I got to where I would drink about 12 beers working on the farm .

Never got drunk ,just a slight buzz , but felt BAD every evening .

I used to put off starting early .

Putting off starting early was the first step a better life .