Notices

I made 30 days! Why am I so glum?

Old 03-24-2014, 07:27 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Recovering

Hi Gabriel

Yep, I was the same. Glum, lethargic, just plain grumpy. I always felt it was rather unfair - feeling down and tired after giving up alcohol. I went to the gym and was still glum and tired. I ate well and I was still glum and tired.

I think some of us just need to go through this as part of our healing. I kept a diary and I could see my mood begin to lift at about 3 months (many people are obviously much faster than this) and by about 6 months I think I was pretty steady and I was positively happy and loving sobriety by 9-12 months.

But that's just me. I think we all recover in our own time.

Be patient with yourself. Be kind to yourself.

Well done on 30 days! Keep it up, but allow yourself to feel whatever you're feeling.

God bless,

Michael
Old 03-24-2014, 04:09 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Gabriel
I know what you mean about coming up with excuses to not try new things. I like my routine, it's a comfortable place for me. It's predictable. Going out of my comfort zone takes a lot of work. I know it is fear based. There's a baseball and football stadium within walking distance from where I live, and I haven't gone to either one in the three years I have been living here. I'm just going to try little things for now, and try to keep building on it. I also enjoy traveling, but haven't in a while. Definitely due for at least a road trip. Good luck and I hope you stay well.
Old 03-24-2014, 04:24 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Gabriel View Post
Well, for all of those out there who are just beginning their sobriety, let me say that I made 30 days and I did not think I would make it. There are a few things that kept me going though. For one, I set my goals low, taking things day by day. I also got a few vitamins to help me through the night sweats and cravings. One of the most important things that I also did was to get a routine going which included signing on here at night after dinner, and writing in my blog and commenting on others' postings. It's one thing for me to be stuck in my own world but I found it soothing to read and learn from others. I will not sugar coat anything in saying that I had to stay focused. Some days were easy and some were hard but I pushed through it...hitting absolute rock bottom in a car accident and court cases that were too close for comfort also sobered me up, unlike my attempts at sobriety before.

So, with all of that being said, I should be grateful to be hitting 30 today but for some reason I feel a bit down. I have realized the dramatic effects that alcohol has taken on my body and mind. I can barely remember things and my emotions are up and down, despite being on a strong antidepressant. No matter how hard I tried to pick myself up today, I failed. Perhaps I should just embrace the emotion. ah ha! Another reason why I drank...I just thought of it and I have, for the past 30 days, been coming up with a lot of reasons why I put that bottle up to my mouth day in and day out. I drank to always feel happy, but this last go around all the fun was over.

Tell me my e-family, have any of you felt this way before when you have something(s) to be grateful for? Does it take the brain a long time to rewire itself to its' original form?
When you allow your body to become chemically-dependent on something, the shock of removing it can be quite a long process to reverse. Many people feel poor or at least have side effects for months. Just be happy you have the long-term low-risk stuff instead of the short-term but potentially fatal symptoms - people literally die of withdrawal in some cases.