Notices

Dealing with work

Old 03-15-2014, 01:27 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Dealing with work

How does everyone handle and deal with work while going thru post acute withdrawal
Old 03-16-2014, 07:26 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

My work performance was a big reason for quitting, for the usual reasons. When I was drinking it was getting hard to enjoy any aspect of my work while hung over or looking forward to a night with my nose in the bottle. It's been almost 3 weeks for me, and I have been paying really close attention to how my work (output and attitude) have been improving. I have much more patience, which makes my interactions much smoother. I guess I'm just enjoying the feeling of getting through the day smoother and more productive.
Old 03-16-2014, 08:31 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

even months after the withdrawals are over regulating emotions and not becoming too stressed remains an issue for me. So I stay poor and work part time, so I have balance and life runs smoother, and I don't get too overwhelmed while learning to deal with life again....
Old 03-16-2014, 08:46 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I am fortunate to have a job where I have sick time and can call in, if needed. I did that a lot when I hit months 2.5-3 and was really having a hard time with PAWS. During those days I would sit quietly, watch netflix and sleep a lot; I tried to listen to what my body and brain needed. The low-no-stress factor is key, too. I try to keep things balanced.

And, while those PAWS times were hard, the result is fantastic - I'm way more sharp and thoughtful and actually recall more stuff - the forgetfulness was getting pretty bad for me.

Do you have the option to take some sick or vacation time?
Old 03-16-2014, 09:27 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Yeah but just seems like I would have to take a lot of time off unfortunately...I know the only thing that will help is time but definitely not going back to drinking
Old 03-16-2014, 11:13 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

When at six months sober and my PAWS was still kicking in high gear, what helped me was to grab onto the small increments of improvement I could compare to where I was at one month and realize that I was slowly getting better.

I didn't have to work, so I can offer no advice there, but perhaps if you look back at those first weeks of sobriety and how rough those were and compare them to your symptoms today, you can take solace that you are slowly improving.

At six and even eight months sober, my hands still shook uncontrollably (it didn't subside until after a year sober); my cigarette would twitch back and forth between my fingers. The shaking didn't seem much better until I reflected back on the constant whole-body muscle spasms I had for the first three months.

I was coming off a decade-long benzo and booze run, so my uphill climb was steeper than most. But the muscle spasms versus finger twitching comparison helped me realize I was slowly improving. Same with the tinnitus and other symptoms.

The fact that you continue to work should be a major sign that you are doing great. Embrace the suck. It gets better and eventually won't suck at all.
Old 03-16-2014, 11:17 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I have to admit that I had more problems at work AFTER I quit than before. I was a functional alcoholic and it did not affect my work while I was drinking. After, when the PAWS set in, I did have some issues. Fortunately it wasn't often and somehow I muddled through. One thing I did was I switched from day shift to night shift because it is less stressful. Quitting drinking had to be done, even if it affected my work. Do what you have to do- even if it involves making some changes in what type of work you do.
Old 03-16-2014, 11:30 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I wanted to add that I think we read about PAWS and just naturally assume we have it if after a few sober weeks we don't feel perfect. From what I understand, PAWS wouldn't be diagnosed until several months from the last drink or drug.

That first month or two I would peg as early sobriety. The anxiety, depression, shakiness, emotional rollercoaster is more apt to be our brain on body dealing without the substance it needed to register as normal.

I'h hold off until the third month or so to worry about PAWS and just call those first weeks the new normal.
Old 03-16-2014, 11:45 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Old 03-16-2014, 11:47 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I'm actually in my fourth month now and just dealing with brain fog and anxiety sucks the big one
Old 03-16-2014, 12:11 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I'm right there with you mrmellow11, I'm 2 and half months sober and I can't hold a thought in my head, I feel OK in the mornings but by mid afternoon I feel brain dead!
Old 03-16-2014, 12:23 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Yeah it sucks...today I feel like I'm in a dream my brain fog is so bad and it's frustrating to have some good days and then have a bad week again