Notices

scared of getting the one year syndrome

Old 03-15-2014, 06:56 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

scared of getting the one year syndrome

Right now I love AA and going to meetings and just being a part of the group. I reach a year in less than a month. What if I stop like going to meetings and get lazy again. What if I think I am cured and can drink normally again. I know in my heart I am an alcoholic and can never drink again. Right now my sponsor says I work a good program. There are things I could do better but I am doing the best that I can at this time. I just hear from a lot of people once a year is reached relapse is very common. I plan on never drinking again. Im just worried I guess. I've seen some people relapse after they have reached a year.
Old 03-15-2014, 07:04 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

true I had many 1 year tokens thus no continued sobriety but if you hold close to your program you should have no major problems
mountainman
Old 03-15-2014, 07:07 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Me to. One year on 1st April and a mate relapsed 2 weeks after his year. Thats why i'm sticking to one DAY at a time and keeping up the work rate. No easing down on the gas after my year either. Plan to try and do more, not less, for my recovery.
We can both do this safely and with 'a little help from our friends'....Maybe a LOT....
G
Old 03-15-2014, 07:22 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Being worried is a good thing in my opinion. That is the reason I keep reading on this websight all of the time. I know that I am an alcoholic. I also know that being an alcoholic means in a split second we can forget,or block out the fact we are alcoholics.
So I think being concerned is a good thing. It's when we forget why we quit,or don't care why we quit the problem arises.

Fred

P.S. Congrats on almost a year
Old 03-15-2014, 07:29 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

You just reminded me that I felt the same way when I was coming up on a year.

I think that's an awesome place to be.

It gave me motivation to make sure I wasn't one of those people who stopped going to meetings thinking I was cured.

If this helps any, my first year sober very little changed. Second year my life started to slowly move forward. 3rd year, I started reaping some real rewards in my recovery... and it wasn't really until about year 5 that I felt I completely rejoined the human race. All that time I stuck close to AA, and did, and redid, and redid again... the 12 steps. I went from an unemplyable, agoraphobic, HS dropout, to a list of things I never imagined, or even desired at the time. Went to and graduated college, became a HS teacher, got back into music and wound up touring countries I never before even considered visiting, moved out of my parents house, vacationed in places I never dreamed of vacationing, got married on a beach in Hawaii, became a landlord a few years ago, quit smoking, got in the best physical shape of my life, became a responsible, dependable person who gets along well with just about everybody..... I could go on and on.

My point - none of that happened in my first year. Not even my second year. There is so MUCH more to look forward to. Keep on this path, it's an awesome one.

And congratulations on the 1 year.