Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

Dating a guy, he hid his alcoholism, he just came out of rehab

Notices

Dating a guy, he hid his alcoholism, he just came out of rehab

Old 03-20-2014, 04:23 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TigerLili View Post
He's lying to you, in active addiction and actively engaging with other women on a dating site.

Those are the facts, no matter how we might like to justify them or dress them up.

Early dating is about sizing someone up and deciding if they are a good fit. He's not a good fit.
He went to rehab and is now sober... again. The day he lied to me, he had been drinking. That may be a small difference... but when an alcoholic lies about drinking... I know that comes from the addiction. When I confronted him to his face he admitted it and told me the truth. The dating site... he did not lie about that at all.... I just confronted him about it and said he should not be on there if he is my boyfriend. He did not lie about it or hide it from me.

I don't know if he qualifies as "active addiction" when he has been sober a couple of weeks .... but I have witnessed other loved ones relapse a number of times.... so of course that worries me.
Old 03-20-2014, 04:33 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

If it were me, I'd leave him to do his recovery on his own and go on about living my own life.
Old 03-20-2014, 04:37 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Phoenix Rising Again

Originally Posted by HeySoulSista View Post
He went to rehab and is now sober... again. The day he lied to me, he had been drinking. That may be a small difference... but when an alcoholic lies about drinking... I know that comes from the addiction. When I confronted him to his face he admitted it and told me the truth. The dating site... he did not lie about that at all.... I just confronted him about it and said he should not be on there if he is my boyfriend. He did not lie about it or hide it from me.

I don't know if he qualifies as "active addiction" when he has been sober a couple of weeks .... but I have witnessed other loved ones relapse a number of times.... so of course that worries me.
I hate to be so blunt, but here it is. There are some great people here who have offered some wonderful advice. You seem like you are okay with being lied to and trying to rationalize it to strangers. So, I wish you the best in your decision to be with him.
Old 03-20-2014, 08:34 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Well, its very hard to hide alcoholism. Its quite easy to spot if you know what to look for, but there are some great actors out there for sure. The people who are attracted to alcoholics and drug addicts are themselves sick people.
Old 03-20-2014, 08:56 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by HeySoulSista View Post
But my issue is I have given my heart too soon, too fast to someone who does not deserve it on more than one occasion. I have been cheated on and hurt, lied to and gullible. I have little kids to protect. But I agreed to be his girlfriend before I knew the truth. Already have feelings for him.

Really don't know what to do.

Sista,

The most insidious lies are the ones we tell ourselves. You list all the reasons that pursuing this relationship now is a bad idea for you, and then slip in the caveat that you gave your word and therefore you must see this through.

On top of all the reasons you list (first and foremost being your children) I will give you one more: if you care about him, you would therefore care about his well being. He is not in a place to give his time and attention to a romantic relationship - he must focus on his recovery. If he chooses to ignore his recovery with you or someone more accommodating to his shortsightedness (or deception as the case may be) he likely will not get and stay sober. Both roads lead to the same answer: leave him alone to focus on his recovery or drink himself further into despair - you have no control how he handles this unless you insist on pursing the relationship, in which case you are putting your short term emotional needs over his survival.

Don't co-sign his BS, or cater to your own. If this is meant to be, he will be available when his recovery is solid.
Old 03-20-2014, 09:43 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

So what's your sport?