Notices

5 days sober, floating feeling, head fog

Old 03-14-2014, 04:08 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

5 days sober, floating feeling, head fog

I drank a fifth of Seagrams 7 five days ago and was sick all day Sunday, then said enough is enough, I have been sober since. I feel incredibly light-headed and have floating, fall feelings consistently throughout the day, my brain feels foggy and my vision is slightly blurry. It's been 5 days I'm wondering if my last binge just damaged my brain beyond repair. Has anyone else experienced this in quitting? It's scary.
Old 03-14-2014, 04:10 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think the best thing is to go see a Dr - it may be nothing.... or it may be something that you need to attend to, wizardry.

Either way if you get yourself looked at, you'll be safe and have peace of mind
D
Old 03-14-2014, 04:16 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

Wizardry, 5 days sober is FANTASTIC, congratulations, rootin for ya.
Old 03-14-2014, 04:36 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Wet brain can happen. Its not a pretty sight at all.
I have had the light-headed ness, had hangovers last for days.
Of course your going to feel bad for the first while, it all depends on how long you have been drinking, the frequency of use and what you drank. For instance, was it gallons of Vodka everyday, Rubbing Alcohol or was it a few glasses of wine. And another factor to take into consideration is your body type. Are you thin and light or big and obese. Obese seems to be the norm in todays society with the fast food guts. The mental fog can last awhile, the spiritual deadness can last forever. Just depends on what you do once you stop drinking.
Old 03-14-2014, 04:36 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Yeah always worth getting checked out to be safe. Congratulations on 5 days. It's tough but you're doing it.
Old 03-14-2014, 06:20 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Congrats on your time so far! I went through a similar feeling during my first couple weeks but it got less intense everyday. I saw my doctor to who told me I was nutritionally deficient and once I got on a healthy diet (whole grains, fiber rich veggies, water etc) and started exercising regularly the fog vanished. Everyone is different and I don't intend to give medical advice, just saying what worked for me.

It definitely doesn't hurt to see your doctor. Best of luck to keep on truckin
Old 03-14-2014, 06:27 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by wizardry View Post

my brain feels foggy and my vision is slightly blurry.

I'm wondering if my last binge just damaged my brain beyond repair.
pretty normal from what I have seen in recovering ones
I was in a fog for a few months
I was very scared wondering if I would ever have clarity again
in short time most get much better
actually today things can be seen clearly through the minds eye

MM
Old 03-14-2014, 06:49 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Definitely go see a doctor if you're concerned about it.

While everyone's bodies react very different to alcohol and mileage can vary greatly, to give you something to compare to I had been drinking (on average, it varied wildly from week to week) 3 drinks a day for 5 months and then 7 months of 7 drinks a day (much harder (binging) on days off of work and continued 3-4 drinks a day during work to get that 7 drinks a day average).

That being said, I was feeling a bit out of it for probably 2 months. I'm halfway through month 3 and am feeling pretty darn "normal." When I quit my balance was wonky for about a week and, while I wouldn't call it blurry (I could focus just fine), I had "wavy" vision (very similar to putting on a new pair of glasses if you wear them) for about 3 weeks. After 3 weeks I could think and walk and do everything perfectly normal, but I just had some bad anxiety and a feeling of the world being "flat and disconnected" till about a week ago (2 months into sobriety). I'm sure all these symptoms will pass with time. It just might take a while.

While "Wet Brain" can happen, I really wouldn't be too concerned with it (at all). That is more due to liver problems than toxicity of alcohol alone. You would have had to have been drinking a LOT of alcohol for a LONG time. It would not be caused due to a single, bad binge (even if it was a fifth of liquor, it would not have "broken the camels back").
Old 03-15-2014, 04:08 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Congrats on five days and do see your doctor if it persists xxxx