Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

The lack of sleep is the REAL killer, a question about Ambien.....

Notices

The lack of sleep is the REAL killer, a question about Ambien.....

Old 03-17-2014, 04:28 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  
EndGame

Originally Posted by Mrrryah1 View Post
I couldn't stay sober while taking ambien. It's highly addictive stuff. I don't believe it's necessary, lack of sleep won't kill us, if u want to stay sober, stay away from ambien. Congrats on 24 days.
Insomnia does more than just leave us tired, fatigued and cognitively compromised.

The research literature demonstrates a link between insomnia and heart failure/other cardiovascular diseases, stroke, diabetes, immune system dysfunction, greater mortality risk and other medical conditions. It also places people who are in recovery at greater risk for relapse.

There are non-pharmacological treatments for insomnia, but for many people this is not enough.

Broken sleep is no joke.
Old 03-17-2014, 08:26 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by EndGameNYC View Post
Insomnia ... places people who are in recovery at greater risk for relapse.
I don't want to come off as a shill for Big Pharma, but my experience supports this. When I’m suffering from severe, crippling insomnia and I’m truly desperate for relief, I think the likelihood that I would resort to alcohol again would be much higher if I did not have access to a prescription drug which specifically targets the malady and works as advertised, at least in my case.

To me at least, the relatively small risk of developing a dependency on Ambien is much the lesser evil than either renewing my alcohol addiction or continuing to suffer from unrelieved, intolerable insomnia.
Old 03-18-2014, 04:11 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

I understand this and that sleep is essential.

For many of us and for normal people a little help works. I only caution anyone that after a time it may not work for you and you are right back to square one.

Ambien worked for me for about 6 months. I was still drinking at the time. Not smart. Anyway, it quit working and once again I am without sleep. I only pray that you a not a hard case like I am. If one hasn't tried the another things first and given them a chance, do so. Because even sleeping pills only work for a time.

Alcoholics have an overexcited nervous system and it can take quite awhile to get back to normal. One should cut back on sugar and coffee and engage in sleep restriction and anything else before trying them as a last resort.

Hoping you find good sleep again soon.
Old 03-18-2014, 04:23 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by EndGameNYC View Post
Since when do practitioners of procedures like "surgery, chemotherapy, other invasive treatments" advertise that they heal along personal and spiritual lines as per my OP? I don't imagine that this is what you're endorsing.

Art, literature, history...all tell the tale of the destructive power of unbalanced, manipulative and otherwise unhealthy relationships. Start with some people's relationships with alcohol, money, sex, food, institutions, other people...

The works of William Shakespeare is one of the most obvious and most instructive examples. The French Revolution, the American Civil War, existential philosophy, fascism, 09/11, Freud and the advent of psychoanalysis...feel free to add your personal favorites.
The OP has to do with insomnia, which is a medical condition. Your reply was vague, and suggested that the issue is in fact spiritual, for which there is no pill. Sorry if I was rude in how I responded, but I've seen enough no-med advice from AA people over the last two decades to be wary of things like this.
Old 03-18-2014, 01:38 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Reporting back.

Took a 10mg Ambien pill around 8 PM last night. Got into bed, laid down on my side because I have some mild sleep apnea from my big belly.

Laid there for around 35 minutes and then a few minutes later the Ambien hit the bloodstream. I don't remember anything else other than briefly seeing 8:35 on the clock over on the corner nightstand, so I'm guessing I dozed off a few minutes after that.

Re-gained consciousness and woke up, opened my eyes and the room is dark. I turn over and see the clock, it's 5:14 AM.

So I guess-timate I got roughly 8 hours (9 pm to 5 am).

Not bad at all, I feel worlds better than all of the last week combined. Felt fresh when I woke up. Noticed in the bathroom mirror that my eyes looked a little bloodshot, but that's about it.

I'll be trying again, seems to have worked.
Old 03-19-2014, 05:36 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

AWESOME news. I am so glad to hear you got SLEEP. I purposely checked in yesterday to see how things worked out for you. In my totally NOT professional opinion just continue to be an educated consumer. Keep an eye on things, be aware, but if it works it works. :-)

Sweet dreams:-)

(not so) Angstfull
Old 03-19-2014, 11:40 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Yesterday out of curiosity I decided to skip the Ambien and try one of those "natural" melatonin products. Just to see what would happen.

Also, I experienced some mild anxiety during the day yesterday and a mild feeling of light-headedness which hit at around noon. Like I said I really don't trust ANY prescription drugs and I'm guessing the un-easy feeling is one of the side effects of the Ambien.

Anyways, I drank two cups of chamomile tea around noon and the anxiety seemed to subside. Later when I was ready to nod off I took 1 pill of the "nature made SLEEP" product. It really calmed me down, but it didn't do anything for actually putting me to sleep. I got into bed at 8 pm...... 9 pm rolled by, then 10 pm, then 11 pm, then 12 am. Around 1 am I figured it wasn't going to happen, I got up and drank some water and went to the medicine cabinet.

Broke a tablet of Ambien in half and took the half-piece with a swig of water. Went back to bed, was asleep by 1:40 am or so.

Woke up at 5:21 am. Just a few hours of sleep this time, i guess its better than nothing.

I'll be keeping an eye on how I feel today and see if that wierd feeling from yesterday comes back, i dont think it should since I took a smaller dose but we'll see.

The "future" can't come fast enough, I hope those pesky GABA-a receptors hurry up and heal so I don't have to deal with these chemicals and drugs anymore. No drugs, no chemicals really is best for the body it seems.

I have a relative who has never had a drop of alcohol, never drank a cup of coffee, no prescription drugs of any kind ever......... he goes to sleep right away after about 15 minutes of getting into bed and sleeps like a baby.

Doesnt even use a nightmask or earplugs like I do, and he stays asleep through the night....... i am so jealous. Your health really is your true wealth.