Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

humbled again -- sure get's old -- darn how many times

Notices

Old 03-12-2014, 08:29 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

sobering up (for most) is a very humbling experience
now that we are sober our character defects seem to often come to light
it's tiring in a way and humbles the average sobering up one

how many times will I put my foot in my mouth

we had to let go of some old ideas

keeping the minds eye on the E G O
ease God out

Mountainman
Old 03-12-2014, 10:42 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

To me, humility is the conscious awareness of my relationship with God. He's God, I'm not. When I feel humiliated, or as you put it "humbled", it's because I'm being put in my place against my will which usually produces embarrassment and/or guilt. The answer is to not put myself in those places that cause an uncomfortable outcome.
Old 03-12-2014, 02:00 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

sometimes I guess the best way to show love is to say nothing at all
Old 03-12-2014, 02:48 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

Sometimes I think I should just keep it there.
Old 03-12-2014, 02:59 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Mike Tyson Speaks on being humbled

Mike Tyson Speaks on being humbled - YouTube

3 Ways To Be Humble - Real Man Rules #7

http://youtu.be/JCbxnNU6XgM

Focus Outside Yourself

An unjustified conviction of one’s own superior abilities is, of course, the antithesis of humility. But so is an unjustified conviction of one’s inferiority. A humble person looks at himself or herself and sees just what is there, both warts and grace. Humility cannot be achieved by putting oneself down.

So what exactly is humility? To understand this virtue, it is necessary to shift focus away from yourself and on to the larger world. The great religions do give us a key: one should be humble before God, or before the cosmos.

Pride is a focus on oneself as the center of the universe. Pride leads us to forget that other people and other living things have feelings and rights. Pride is putting your own selfish interests ahead of the rest of the world. Pride leads to anger when others fail to recognize your greatness.

Everyone has experienced humility. It happens when you are so caught up in doing something or in something of interest or importance that you totally forget your own existence. The virtue of humility is being able to forget yourself more and more of the time, ultimately achieving the same state of self-forgetfulness even while examining oneself for purposes of self-improvement.

Pride Goes Before a Fall

The ancient Greeks had an idea of pride that they called “Hubris.” In many ancient Greek fables, Hubris was always followed by Nemesis: the downfall. Too much focus on oneself leads a person to forget his environment and others, to make enemies, and in the end to fall. Being humble is a good thing.
Old 03-12-2014, 03:06 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

I don't know I agree that God is jealous. First is says God humbled him then he says the world did.
Old 03-12-2014, 03:06 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Admitting lack of control and dealing with the consequences of long-term addiction is definitely a very powerful exercise in humility. I actually feel that my sense of self worth is becoming much healthier as I continue being sober. When I was drinking I had quite extreme alternating states of self-loathing or overconfidence. Of course none of these were realistic but very self centered. I feel more grounded in my value system even after just a quite short time. I think that surrendering to a power greater than ourselves (whatever that is for an individual) is truly humbling and interestingly empowering at the same time.
Old 03-12-2014, 03:10 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by silentrun View Post

I don't know I agree that God is jealous.

The Meaning of God’s Jealousy

The root idea in the Old Testament word jealous is to become intensely red. It seems to refer to the changing color of the face or the rising heat of the emotions which are associated with intense zeal or fervor over something dear to us. In fact, both the Old and New Testament words for jealousy are also translated “zeal.” Being jealous and being zealous are essentially the same thing in the Bible. God is zealous—eager about protecting what is precious to Him.
Old 03-12-2014, 03:15 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

Originally Posted by Mountainmanbob View Post
The Meaning of God’s Jealousy

The root idea in the Old Testament word jealous is to become intensely red. It seems to refer to the changing color of the face or the rising heat of the emotions which are associated with intense zeal or fervor over something dear to us. In fact, both the Old and New Testament words for jealousy are also translated “zeal.” Being jealous and being zealous are essentially the same thing in the Bible. God is zealous—eager about protecting what is precious to Him.
I just don't believe that God acts upon our stupidity. I think we suffer for that all at our own hand.
Old 03-13-2014, 05:57 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by silentrun View Post
I just don't believe that God acts upon our stupidity. I think we suffer for that all at our own hand.
I have read that over and over
but
I just can't see where it relates to my post
MM
Old 03-13-2014, 06:34 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

I wasn't referring to you I was referring to the video. Although I get what he is trying to say it reads like this to me. I was such so great among men (tallest building) that I became a threat to God. It was God who caused these things to happen because of my pride. That to me is not humility. Humility would be more like this. I was given some amazing talents and opportunities. I screwed it all up by becoming arrogant.