Notices

Fired for drinking on the job.

Old 03-11-2014, 07:54 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Fired for drinking on the job.

I was fired for drinking on the job. That was back in 2009. I have not had a drink for over 4 years, and have had two part time jobs for 3 1/2 years total. I will graduate in May with an AAS in Business Technology. I have been trying to find a full-time job, but I am thinking that my being fired for cause is holding me back. Does anybody out there have experience in getting a good job after being fired?
Old 03-11-2014, 08:25 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

lostone - Oh, I got fired from numerous jobs when I was using. I was an RN, so NOT a good thing.

Redeeming myself has taken time, and lots of it, though I'm not saying that will happen to you.

I don't know if it's a national thing or state thing, but I don't think employers are allowed to tell WHY you were fired, only that they would not rehire you (which still raises flags). I WILL tell you that I put off getting a "real job" for years, due to fear.

I waited tables, I worked at McDonald's. The waiting tables job I got? I was living in a diversion center, and they knew everything. I spent 4 years there, relapsed for 2 weeks, and was still allowed to work at another restaurant in the chain.

I lived in fear of applying for a decent job because I was worried that someone would divulge more than "will not rehire" or that getting SEVERAL of those, I was doomed.

Long story short. I'm just recently into 7 years recovery and I wish I had listened to those who told me "you messed up, you are not that person any more and you DO deserve a good job".

Don't get me wrong, I learned a lot in those jobs. I got robbed, twice, and hurt in one of them and I didn't use. I came to SR.

I'm still struggling, but it will work out. I can pass any drug test, any background check (I was a first offender, but it didn't show in my records and I had to get it straightened out).

I have a new degree, graduated with honors but a field it's hard to get into without experience. I'm working various jobs, but all but one (a hospital) know my background and are tremendous sources of support.

It's been 10 years since my nursing day's, so I don't have to explain those firings. However, most applications still ask "have you ever been terminated" and I always check it. ONE time I was fired had nothing to do with drugs.

I will not tell anyone "oh, I was fired because I was high as a kite", but that's just me. People, today, are fired all the time.

What's most important to me, is that they see the REAL me - not high, drunk, or whatever. I've been a caregiver for over a year. I finally told my one client's daughter my history. It concerned her, but she doesn't judge nor does her husband. I redeemed myself by taking care of her dad. He died, I'm going to rent his house while it's up for sale, if I can come up with the rent.

I worked a volunteer job, for over a year (miss it like crazy now) and didn't reveal my past. As time went on, I realized many volunteers were working off community service and were A's, I opened up. It didn't matter. They got to know me before I opened up, which is what I've done since day one.

Sorry for the novel, but you aren't alone. You don't have to spend years thinking "OMG, what if they find out....?!?!?!?" Get out there, apply. Know what you are going to say when they asked why you were terminated. Some are okay with alcoholism/addiction, but IME most aren't...at the beginning.

Believe in yourself, stay sober, and do what you have to do. Trust me...just do the next right thing and it will work out. FWIW, I spent my time in the rooms of AA. I haven't been in years, SR is my support, but I still use what I learned in AA. I reach for everything that can help me in recovery.

You may not get a job that you consider "good", but I bet you can find a job. My experience has shown me that while I went from an RN to waiting tables? I learned a lot, I made money, and I built up my self-esteem and got another reference.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 03-11-2014, 08:43 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Friend-

I've been there. Several times. And have still prospered.

Remember this...

The most important things that happen to you occur between your left ear, and your right ear. Realize this, and you will gain strength.
Old 03-11-2014, 08:48 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Lostone460

Wishing you the best in that job hunt

D
Old 03-12-2014, 03:17 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

It happened to me too, but I got well and they gave me a second chance xxxx
Old 06-12-2015, 08:43 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Impurrfect View Post
lostone - Oh, I got fired from numerous jobs when I was using. I was an RN, so NOT a good thing.

Redeeming myself has taken time, and lots of it, though I'm not saying that will happen to you.

I don't know if it's a national thing or state thing, but I don't think employers are allowed to tell WHY you were fired, only that they would not rehire you (which still raises flags). I WILL tell you that I put off getting a "real job" for years, due to fear.

I waited tables, I worked at McDonald's. The waiting tables job I got? I was living in a diversion center, and they knew everything. I spent 4 years there, relapsed for 2 weeks, and was still allowed to work at another restaurant in the chain.

I lived in fear of applying for a decent job because I was worried that someone would divulge more than "will not rehire" or that getting SEVERAL of those, I was doomed.

Long story short. I'm just recently into 7 years recovery and I wish I had listened to those who told me "you messed up, you are not that person any more and you DO deserve a good job".

Don't get me wrong, I learned a lot in those jobs. I got robbed, twice, and hurt in one of them and I didn't use. I came to SR.

I'm still struggling, but it will work out. I can pass any drug test, any background check (I was a first offender, but it didn't show in my records and I had to get it straightened out).

I have a new degree, graduated with honors but a field it's hard to get into without experience. I'm working various jobs, but all but one (a hospital) know my background and are tremendous sources of support.

It's been 10 years since my nursing day's, so I don't have to explain those firings. However, most applications still ask "have you ever been terminated" and I always check it. ONE time I was fired had nothing to do with drugs.

I will not tell anyone "oh, I was fired because I was high as a kite", but that's just me. People, today, are fired all the time.

What's most important to me, is that they see the REAL me - not high, drunk, or whatever. I've been a caregiver for over a year. I finally told my one client's daughter my history. It concerned her, but she doesn't judge nor does her husband. I redeemed myself by taking care of her dad. He died, I'm going to rent his house while it's up for sale, if I can come up with the rent.

I worked a volunteer job, for over a year (miss it like crazy now) and didn't reveal my past. As time went on, I realized many volunteers were working off community service and were A's, I opened up. It didn't matter. They got to know me before I opened up, which is what I've done since day one.

Sorry for the novel, but you aren't alone. You don't have to spend years thinking "OMG, what if they find out....?!?!?!?" Get out there, apply. Know what you are going to say when they asked why you were terminated. Some are okay with alcoholism/addiction, but IME most aren't...at the beginning.

Believe in yourself, stay sober, and do what you have to do. Trust me...just do the next right thing and it will work out. FWIW, I spent my time in the rooms of AA. I haven't been in years, SR is my support, but I still use what I learned in AA. I reach for everything that can help me in recovery.

You may not get a job that you consider "good", but I bet you can find a job. My experience has shown me that while I went from an RN to waiting tables? I learned a lot, I made money, and I built up my self-esteem and got another reference.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
How did you go about explaining why you were fired at interviews? Sorry for reviving an old thread.
Old 06-12-2015, 09:26 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I hope you find a good job. You don't deserve to be punished over and over.
Old 06-12-2015, 09:29 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Another Day in Paradise

After I was told to go to rehab or lose a very lucrative partnership I ignored my partner's demand and was separated from the partnership. (fired is another way of saying what the end result was.) I have spent my life in an industry that while it is huge, the players all know each other or at least know someone who know you.

After I got sober I began the process of re-engaging myself in the industry. I submitted resumés and made contact with previous contacts. Every time there was an interview or return phone call I made a point early on of telling the interested party, "I was asked by my previous partners to leave the partnership due to a problem I had with alcohol. I have been sober for the last year and actively attend AA. I want to begin our relationship with all the cards on the table and while I want the job, I need you to know that rigorous honesty is more important because that is how I maintain my sobriety."

I re-entered my chosen profession within less than a year and now after 16 years I can tell you that I have been called and consulted many, many times by so many different folks in the industry asking about what the best way to deal with an employee that is valuable but has a drinking problem. At conventions, golf tournaments, and social/business gatherings it is common knowledge that Nagle doesn't drink. I chose to own my past and embrace my future, but I have always known that one slip and the whole place will know that too. As the saying goes, "I was not a bad guy, I just did some bad things."

That is what I did and it has worked for me.

Best of luck,
Jon