Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

Anyone else get aches and pains over 2 months sober?

Notices

Old 03-11-2014, 12:46 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hi everyone, I know you can't diagnose people on here, but I wanted to know if anyone else has had the same symptoms a few months into sobriety?

73 days sober and I keep getting on and off muscle ache, like I'm ill without the fever? Its been happening the past week or 2, it comes on for a few hours then disappears. I thought it was down to overdoing vitamin supplements but I have stopped taking them for a week and still no improvements.

I am waiting to get an appointment with my doctor, I wanted to ask if you had the same thing, is it down to withdrawal?
Old 03-11-2014, 02:03 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
~sb

my nerves woke up.....yeah, I kinda had something similar.....see your doc anyway!
Old 03-11-2014, 03:41 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks sugarbear1, every muscle in my body feels sore, when I tense my calf muscles their really sore, that with the weakness, I feel horrible! I will go the doctors anyway.
Old 03-12-2014, 04:07 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

So I went to see a doctor, told him about being an alcoholic, over 2 months sober, explained the muscle aches, he said it was just a virus.

I'm not sure because you get the aches and pain with a fever, your over the worst of it after a few days...I haven't had a fever, the mild muscle ache is on and off for about 10 days now...its lingering.

I hope this is down to my body healing from the alcohol, possibly PAWS? But I thought that was more mental difficulties, rather than physical symptoms? I haven't got a clue what going on?
Old 03-12-2014, 05:27 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I feel the same way!!! Like constant fatigue, burning eyes, exausted physically but my mind is alert. I thought it was just me. I'm 67 days sober and my body just seems sooo tired, no fever appetite is fine, but my body feels yuck.
Old 03-12-2014, 05:39 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi BC, it is very weird! I don't understand after 2 months sober I sometimes feel like I have been run over! Lol.

Why would body aches and weakness be connected to being sober? I wish I knew why this is happening, its getting fustrating, congrats on 67 days sober.
Old 03-12-2014, 06:19 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

You'd have to see a doctor for a diagnosis of your aches and pains.

I get aches and pains a lot more now than I used to, but it's due to aging...
Old 03-12-2014, 06:33 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
waking down

I'm around 75 days and having a similar experience, but I've got complicating issues. I think it's a virus and seasonal allergies. It's weird, though, like my body has flu-type aches or a cold, but very mild respiratory symptoms. Like I've been on the verge of getting really sick for days but never full-blown. Low energy and aches.

Loratadine helped with the allergy symptoms (I had gone off it for a couple of months but people are suffering here with spring coming on, including me) and naproxin helped body and head aches. Still low energy, though. I quit oxycodone last month, and I don't think I had withdrawal symptoms (didn't do it often), but still, I feel pain from a gentle touch, and I'm used to constant moderate pain (but not on the skin).

I'm thinking it will pass, but will be interested how others are doing.
Old 03-12-2014, 06:48 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I sure did. I have a job where I rarely sit down. The only time in my life my legs ever ached like that was a few months after I quit.
The pain probably lasted on and off for a couple months,but it did go away.
There are many things that happen when we quit,that aren't always readily explained. Because not everyone reacts the same. There is a lot that is probably misunderstood,because most people lie about how much they drink when they see their doctor. (I know I did). I think your doctor claiming it's a virus is his way of saying "Iduno".
I don't know how long you drank. But my "career" lasted at least 30 years. So for me I really didn't expect to heel right away. I am not aiming at you. But I feel most people take addiction way too lightly. I drank every day,and taking it away is a major change. I quit 5 years ago,and to this day at times when I try to write a certain letter,such as a B. I write a different letter,such as a T. It rarely happens anymore,but it does still happen. It didn't start until I quit though. And when I first quit,I would screw up 2 or 3 words in a row.
I'll take those little problems any day over drinking though. If i was still drinking I wonder if I would even still be alive.

Fred
Old 03-12-2014, 07:36 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
~sb

I had survived a car accident a year before I got sober and healed while walking to the bus, taking a bus (that is very hard on a body) and working (and numbing my body with alcohol and drugs nightly)....

I felt a lot of body aches and pains when I stopped drinking. I think the nerves were waking up.

Then one sober day I fell and injured my knee badly. Healing the body takes time.

At the age of almost 53 and almost 3 years sober, I feel pretty darn good today.

Give time time. See your doctor. Heal well!
Old 03-12-2014, 08:14 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I am glad you saw a doctor. At the same time, I am annoyed. I don't think you have a virus. I think you had a doctor that did not know how to admit "I don't know." I had one of those, it almost killed me.
Old 03-12-2014, 08:28 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

To the OP. You are still in early recovery and getting over what is essentially an extended period of extreme stress and poisoning torture. It takes a LOT of time to get better. A LOT.

I am 15 months clean now and thinking back, I am only really starting to get over it.

The recovery is also terrifically harsh, so dont rule out the fact that you will most likely need a recovery from your recovery, once you are over the worst of it.

Do consult Doctors, but also keep in mind that you what I am saying here.
Old 03-13-2014, 03:36 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thanks a lot for your replies, doctors can be very ignorant, that was his way of saying he didn't know! I told him i was an alcoholic, unless your symptoms are obvious doctors do give the impression they couldn't care less! Medical care in the UK is free, but I found out the more patients the doctor sees the more they get payed! They love to just push you out of the door as quickly as possible, which sometimes can prove fatal in some cases.

I will just put it down to another symptom of recovery, I was only a daily drinker for a few years, but before that around 8 years I was drinking heavily at the weekends, maybe once in the week as well, so over a decade of binge drinking.....wow, 2 months sober seems like a drop in the ocean compared to that!
Old 03-13-2014, 08:10 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Are you drinking plenty of water ?

It makes a big difference for me .
Old 03-13-2014, 09:12 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hi karate, I do drink a few pints of water in the day, but I drink quite a lot of tea as well, always have.

I don't think I'm dehydrated, my fluid levels haven't changed since the muscle aches appeared 2 weeks ago.
Old 03-13-2014, 10:38 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Also ,like the other post said . At my age and with the amount of things I do ,it seems aches are just part of life .

If I sleep an entire night without something waking me up ,Well its really odd .
Old 03-13-2014, 11:02 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Absolutly it can be symptoms of new sobriety. I had it along with minor twitching..drove me nuts. I got through it with Advil and exercise. Feel great now at 6 months. Make sure your getting all your B vitamins too!
Old 03-14-2014, 04:12 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Thanks AG, its still here...annoying as ever! I have the warm aching feeling you get with a virus, but it is almost 2 weeks now? On and off....this is unbelievable!
Old 02-09-2020, 08:01 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

achy after 2 months sober

I was happy to find this thread. It is old (2014) si I want to know what happened to everyone after some time!! At approx day 60 I started having body aches and a feeling that I was bout to comedown with the flu but I never do! I just keep feeling this way and I have body pain: arms, hands, feet etc.

Did the aches go away eventually? I have a drs appointment so let's see what she says :/
Old 02-15-2020, 01:28 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
~sb

Things change. I don't have those aches anymore!