Notices

Harvard Study includes thoughts on moderation

Old 03-12-2014, 12:24 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

I have also heard the stat that if you make it to 5 years, you'll likely be sober for life. Reminds me that even at 18 months, I am still not necessarily out of the woods yet.

Truth be told it really doesn't matter to me whether some people can moderate or not, or whether they would be considered alcoholics or not... all I need to know is that I can't moderate. I have proven it to myself over & over, and have the family history to back it up too.

Onward & upward...
Old 03-12-2014, 09:10 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

I take a look at this alcohol moderation theory. Then substitute alcohol with heroin injected via needle. It just doesnt stack up.

I do not think you can dangle a string in front of someone for so long and they grab it time and time again. Then one day expect them not to grab it without nothing being changed in the mind. Alcohol is but a symptom. This is what the knowledge is and the facts are. The primary problem lays in the mind, not the substance. If the mind does not change, then nothing changes. So why play around with this idea of well instead of shooting 100 grams into the veins, lets just shoot 10 grams. The body reacts the same. The brain doesnt differentiate. It just wants more. So self control and will power never works. The thought pattern has not changed. The thought pattern is everything in th is matter. The amount of the substance means nothing.
Old 03-13-2014, 06:07 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Cascabel View Post

I think that once a person has been away from alcohol for five years or so it is easier to stay away from it; you don't think about it as much. But, from my personal experience, a person with alcoholic potential is not "cured" after five years nor after fifteen or thirty years. Hard won sobriety is a precious thing and to risk it in an attempt to become a "social" drinker is foolish at the very least and for me, bordered on idiocy.
Amen.

For me, I equate moderation with giving the beast that lives inside of me a blood transfusion. Once I wake that Devil up, there's no way that son-of-a-b!tch is going back to sleep.

Thus, given the choice, I'd rather let him rot in hell.
Old 03-13-2014, 06:54 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

The amount of the substance means nothing.
Doesn't it? I hear this frequently on this board. I think the amount of substance consumed is directly related to whether a person is an alcoholic. A person who just has to have a beer after work (and has that craving about 4:30 everyday) to take the edge off is addicted to the chemical (or arguably the idea of drinking the chemical). The person who has to have a liter of rotgut is also addicted. The distinction between the two is the harm caused. The one beer person isn't harming herself or her family, but the liter girl surely is.
Old 03-13-2014, 07:16 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

It's been along time since I saw the point to one drink.