Notices

Kidney stones

Old 03-08-2014, 08:01 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Kidney stones

In 2009 I was diagnosed with a 1 week hell of kidney stone(s). The doctor said that although alcohol doesn't cause them directly, in my case at least, I was so dehydrated from not drinking hardly anything but straight vodka.

This causes the urine the kidneys produce to become so concentrated that the small particles and crystals that would normally pass with urine dilution combine together and form stones. The diuretic effect from alcohol causes the dehydration.

If you've ever had a kidney stone, the pain is indescribable. I quit drinking and have been fine for several years. But, you know how it happens sometimes. I went back. Hard. And now as of yesterday BANG! Back again. It doesn't creep up. It hits you acutely. But I don't have insurance so no pain meds. Aleve or Advil doesn't touch it. Going to have to get thru it. I can't work and any movement is so painful.

So....wanted to let everyone know here is yet ANOTHER awful thing alcohol can potentially do to your body.
Old 03-08-2014, 08:25 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

How long were you back drinking for? From my understanding, the stones take months / years to form.

I have had two myself. I think they were unrelated to drinking though. So I empathize with you, and wish you the best. I know you don't have insurance, but it may be worth trying to get seen. If for nothing else a real pain killer and some of the flomax (sp). Not sure how realistic it will be to get through it without some help. My first one was actually not as horrible as they frequently can be, but my second one would have been unbearable had I not been in the hospital for part of it.

One thing I have learned after having them, and doing research on them, is they really is no concise and definitive explanation for what causes them. Many different opinions on this.
Old 03-08-2014, 08:32 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Phoenix Rising Again

Ouch! I'm sorry you're having to go through this. My ex went through this a few years back and I've never seen anyone in so much pain. Like Ghostly said, you may want to go anyways to the ER. A lot of hospitals have "grants" or ways to help you with your bill.
Old 03-08-2014, 09:44 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by KissMyTiara View Post
It doesn't creep up. It hits you acutely. But I don't have insurance so no pain meds. Aleve or Advil doesn't touch it. Going to have to get thru it. I can't work and any movement is so painful.
Pain meds are cheaper than insurance in my neck of the woods. I think a trip to the doctor for a prescription should cost under a couple hundred bucks. I pay over twice that every month for insurance.
At any rate I think you still should see a doctor.

Fred
Old 03-08-2014, 02:13 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hey KMT,

There are a lot of free or low cost clinics around - if there's one in your local area you might get some medical advice there?

Free Clinics - NeedyMeds
The 10377 clinics in this database are free, low cost, low cost with a sliding scale based on income, or offer some type of financial assistance.
2-1-1 Call Center Search

2-1-1 provides free and confidential information and referral. Call 2-1-1 for help with food, housing, employment, health care, counseling and more. Learn more about your local 2-1-1 by looking it up here.

D
Old 03-08-2014, 02:16 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I don't have any advise on how to manage the pain, but maybe a joke will help:
ive heard women say they bear the greatest pain ever when giving birth.
I have yet to hear a man who has passed a kidney stone want to even do something that would cause another one!