SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Alcoholism (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/)
-   -   Mental clarity .... (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/325171-mental-clarity.html)

karate 03-08-2014 03:39 AM

Mental clarity ....

I noticed Somthing , at moderate amounts of drinking .

My mental ability is reduced the next day as well .

Energy levels are reduced as well as attitude .

Now , think about I have not been excessively drinking ,
But small levels are enough to make my mental job difficult .

Just a little thing to think about .

I was not dependent , but it was enough to take my edge off .

ScottFromWI 03-08-2014 05:48 AM

Still trying to moderate Karate? It's really not something to even think about, it's not possible for an alcohlic. Perhaps you are still struggling with accepting that?

IOAA2 03-08-2014 05:50 AM

For me, an alcoholic, to drink any BS amount is insanity for now I know what I didn't know and realize the consequences of me picking up one drink. I needed to face my demons and stop trying to escape life on life terms with the BS I fed myself as I picked up the first drink of the day. After a lot of sober years I've seen to many lives end as a result of their sh!t fairy feeding them misinformation and the lack of the ability to be honest about their drinking.

BE WELL

karate 03-08-2014 06:10 AM

I can moderate , what I noticed is 3 beers make complex tasks impossible

IOAA2 03-08-2014 06:39 AM

KEEP COMING is an expression that eventually sunk in and was a huge help for me.

BE WELL

PurpleKnight 03-08-2014 06:40 AM

For me lack of energy and mental ability where 2 reasons for me quitting, since then my productivity has sky rocked both at work and at home!!

karate did you not expect that even 1 drink would impair mental capacity and energy?

jdooner 03-08-2014 06:51 AM

I am really laughing out loud reading this post right now - thanks for the laugh on a Saturday morning. I love your tenacity Karate. You will get there one day.

Think of how much time you spend writing on SR. If you can moderate, why are you here? Are you trying to convince us we can moderate?

There has never been an alcoholic that I know of (know many) that has ever been able to successfully moderate. Its the great mirage. And there are pages of epic fails written on this site about this topic. There was even a movement called Moderation Management and the founder went on the Today Show was written up in a bunch of media. She practiced MM and then one day she got drunk got on the highway going the wrong direction and killed an entire family in a head on drunk driving collision. She has since come clean that it was a big illusion and served her time (I would argue every day is a prison sentence for her though).

The alcoholic cannot moderate. Four words Karate. I wonder how much energy you are going to expend to learn those four words and a simple sentence? Good luck man.

ScottFromWI 03-08-2014 06:58 AM

Originally Posted by karate (Post 4515198)

With all due respect Karate, you are fooling yourself once again. It's as if you are completely oblivious to anything that had happened to you regarding your drinking, even very recently. Denial is a common problem for us as addicts...I urge you to seek help as its clear you can't do this alone. Many of us could not, and there is no shame in admitting that.

Nevertheless 03-08-2014 07:32 AM

So what is your point here?
Are you again coming on an alcoholic forum to boast how you can drink like normal people?
Or are you trying to say the 3 beers impairs your abilities?

I have no problem believing one of those statements,but I am finding the other one a bit "far fetched":DA

Fred

alphaomega 03-08-2014 08:22 AM

Hi karate - first I want to preface this with I that I am genuinely confused as to what it is that you are trying to accomplish by repeatedly posting about your drinking. At times I think there is a hint of sincerity in your desire to abstain. Other times I think you are maybe looking for permission to still do it your way and receive our blessing.

But there's posts such as this one where I sincerely believe you are just F - ing with us.

I white knuckled my way through yesterday and I was in agony. I made it sober with the help and gentle nudging of the SOBER people here who have more time under their belts. Per your advice, perhaps I should of had a few to take the edge off ? Granted I might be fuzzy in my thinking today, but what the hell ?

News flash - getting a rise out of alcoholics is like shooting fish in a barrel. You will most definitely hit your mark.

Let me ask you, once and for all, why exactly are you here ?

caboblanco 03-08-2014 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by alphaomega (Post 4515418)
Hi karate - first I want to preface this with I that I am genuinely confused as to what it is that you are trying to accomplish by repeatedly posting about your drinking. At times I think there is a hint of sincerity in your desire to abstain. Other times I think you are maybe looking for permission to still do it your way and receive our blessing.

But there's posts such as this one where I sincerely believe you are just F - ing with us.

News flash - getting a rise out of alcoholics is like shooting fish in a barrel. You will most definitely hit your mark.

Let me ask you, once and for all, why exactly are you here ?

karate doesn't have to answer to a set of rules as to why he is here..he is seeking support ..information..help for what he might think is a problem..i for one like the fact that everyone is not under some unwritten alcoholic code of conduct to not disrespect the unspoken but easily known values of the cultural alcoholic.ideals..and besides i like his posts

RobbyRobot 03-08-2014 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by caboblanco (Post 4515421)
karate doesn't have to answer to a set of rules as to why he is here..he is seeking support ..information..help for what he might think is a problem..i for one like the fact that everyone is not under some unwritten alcoholic code of conduct to not disrespect the unspoken but easily known values of the cultural alcoholic.ideals..and besides i like his posts

Support has been given. And will be given again. And again. No problem with support being given. This is a recovery forum though, and since its clear Karate is trying to moderate, the support remains what has already been given. Nothing changes if nothing changes.

The ball is clearly in Karate's court.

Amajorityofone 03-08-2014 08:50 AM

Aristotle once said "We are never standing still. Rather, we are constantly spiraling. Either up, or down."

I agree with that statement.

Food for thought :)

Mel12 03-08-2014 08:51 AM

I experienced bad performance on demanding mental or physical tasks on the morning after just one glass of red wine. For this reason, I remain puzzled to this day about the promotion of wine drinking by health professionals. Doctors saying red wine is good? That is a mixed message that is doing more harm than good, I would guess.

caboblanco 03-08-2014 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by Mel12 (Post 4515449)
I experienced bad performance on demanding mental or physical tasks on the morning after just one glass of red wine. For this reason, I remain puzzled to this day about the promotion of wine drinking by health professionals. Doctors saying red wine is good? That is a mixed message that is doing more harm than good, I would guess.

yeah red wine is good in moderation..not 3 bottles a day lol

Mel12 03-08-2014 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by jdooner (Post 4515265)
There was even a movement called Moderation Management and the founder went on the Today Show was written up in a bunch of media. She practiced MM and then one day she got drunk got on the highway going the wrong direction and killed an entire family in a head on drunk driving collision.

My goodness! Yikes!!!

caboblanco 03-08-2014 08:59 AM

that lady Audrey Kisline had returned to going to meetings of a group i won't mention and gave up on moderation management well before that crash

RobbyRobot 03-08-2014 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by caboblanco (Post 4515453)
yeah red wine is good in moderation..not 3 bottles a day lol

Really? Are you speaking from experience, cabo? Along with that, making such a statement on a recovery forum, is that good too? How much wine is okay in moderation, cabo?

From my experience, red wine in so-called moderation or any other way really didn't work for me.

jdooner 03-08-2014 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by caboblanco (Post 4515469)
that lady Audrey Kisline had returned to going to meetings of a group i won't mention and gave up on moderation management well before that crash

No sure I agree with your timeline (yes she stopped 3 months before the crash - not sure I agree with what you are implying though) and have no intentions of hijacking the thread but lets just stick to basic facts that are supported:

Moderation Management was founded by Audrey Kishline, a problem drinker, who did not identify with the disease theory of alcoholism (as presented in Alcoholics Anonymous and other addiction recovery twelve-step programs) finding that it eroded her self-confidence. Kishline never experienced withdrawal symptoms and was able to hold a job and stay in school while drinking. Kishline found that she could moderate her drinking with the help of cognitive-behavioral therapy principles and in 1994 founded Moderation Management as an organization for non-dependent problem drinkers to help maintain moderate alcohol use. MM maintains, however, that it is not for all problem drinkers; that there are some drinkers for whom abstinence will be the only solution.[1]
In January 2000 Kishline posted a message to an official MM email list stating that she had concluded her best drinking goal was abstinence and that she would begin attending Alcoholics Anonymous, SMART Recovery and Women For Sobriety meetings while continuing to support MM for others.[2] Having never ceased her excessive drinking, while attending Moderation Management,[2] in March 2000 she drove her truck the wrong way down a highway, and hit another vehicle head-on killing its two passengers (a father and his 12 year old daughter). MM continued to grow during Kishline's time in prison.[1] She was released in August 2003 after serving 3½ years of her 4½ year sentence.[3]
Kishline had asked many professionals for advice while she was establishing the fellowship, including psychologist Jeffrey A. Schaler, who had written the foreword for the first edition of the book, Moderate Drinking, used in the organization and served on the original board of trustees for MM.[4] Schaler and MM split ways over whether or not there was a medical distinction between problem drinkers and alcoholics, the latter having a disease and the former having a habit, and over the MM's failure to condemn Larry Froistad following his murder confession. Schaler's foreword was replaced with one by Historian Ernest Kurtz in subsequent editions.[5]

caboblanco 03-08-2014 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by RobbyRobot (Post 4515483)
Really? Are you speaking from experience, cabo? Along with that, making such a statement on a recovery forum, is that good too? How much wine is okay in moderation, cabo?

From my experience, red wine in so-called moderation or any other way really didn't work for me.

no speaking from medical research on people who drink in moderation and overall health and longevity..why is that such a threatening concept that i have to keep hush.