Notices

Mental clarity ....

Old 03-08-2014, 05:04 PM
  # 61 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by karate View Post
Not being able to go a simple practice exam after 3 beers .
The fact you had 3 beers before any exam may give you the answers that you're seeking.
Old 03-08-2014, 05:24 PM
  # 62 (permalink)  

Fred, I don't think you can make one drink or stop one from drinking, regardless of who posts on this forum. I wish it was that easy.
Old 03-08-2014, 05:29 PM
  # 63 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I don't know what im going to do long term , but this is day 3 today .

I just took a break from studying to check in .

Im going to quit for a while at any rate .

Im really given a lot of credit for being more of a puppet master ,than I really am .

I am far too busy to just come on here to stir the pot ,Im genuinely trying to sort this deal out .

Trying to find my way ,so to speak .

None of this is ment as a joke or to offend anyone .
What's most important is what your plans are now Karate. Have you tried anything different to get to day 3 than previous attempts? We would love to help you but you need to let us know how.
Old 03-08-2014, 05:37 PM
  # 64 (permalink)  
Administrator

I honestly do believe coming on a forum where people talk about drinking problems. And posting about how well you are doing at moderating the "beast" is counterproductive. As has been said, if someone 3 days sober is on the fence and sees you talking about how good things are going moderating. That might be all it takes for them to say hell with it,and get drunk.
If you want to keep trying to moderate,it's your life. But I am afraid talking about it here might not be good for others.
Just my honest opinion....
fred
I wasn't here earlier guys but a full panel of mods and admins were - they feel this thread has a wealth of good advice and recovery experience being shared for the newcomer.

I agree with them

D
Old 03-08-2014, 05:42 PM
  # 65 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I wasn't here earlier guys but a full panel of mods and admins were - they feel this thread has a wealth of good advice and recovery experience being shared for the newcomer.

I agree with them

D
Worst thing I think that could happen is karate no longer feels he can post, that would be a disaster, he is entitled to the same support as anyone new to SR posting that they are still drinking, not sure if they have a problem, or those that have relapsed!!

Sure it's not great reading on a recovery site that people are still drinking but recovery has many shades of grey, it's not always black and white!!
Old 03-08-2014, 05:43 PM
  # 66 (permalink)  
Adventures In SpaceTime

Posting on the forum isn't about making or stopping anyone from drinking - its about support for those who want support in stopping, and in helping others get on with living who have already stopped. Its not about supporting moderation. People make their own choices of course, and yet support in a community such as SR does help. SR does have influence, and so a responsibility is created to maintain a supportive community.

Like I said earlier, this is a worthy thread.
Old 03-09-2014, 03:12 AM
  # 67 (permalink)  

As much as I appreciate your input on this site Karate, I am a little confused as to your intentions. Having looked over some of your previous threads, a lot of them centre on the negative effects of alcohol with regard to sleep, anxiety, mental clarity etc. I denote from your posts that you are acutely aware of the damaging side effects alcohol has and you often seem keen to re iterate them to others so I am confused as to why you would choose to moderate.

More importantly however, the fact you post regularly on this site about moderating demonstrates that alcohol, even if you are only drinking it in moderate quantities , is taking centre stage in your life and psyche. Do you think people who enjoy a few beers now and then or even every day who aren't experiencing the negative effects of alcohol would post frequently on a recovery site? For them drinking doesn't dominate their psyche and is of little importance. For you, and maybe I'm getting this wrong, it seems that it does dominate your thoughts and the only way to change that is abstinence. Alcoholism is more about obsession with alcohol than merely how much you drink and how frequently, so maybe ask yourself how much of your thoughts and actions are devoted to alcohol.

Good luck with whatever you decide, I just wish the best for you
Old 03-09-2014, 04:23 AM
  # 68 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm not confused by you at all Karate

As I've said several times I *was* you.

I think if each of us here is honest, part of the road to acceptance is that swinging between brief moments of clarity and honesty - where you know exactly what drinking is doing to you...

and much longer stretches of BS where you try and convince everyone else, and yourself, that you're doing ok taming the Alcoholism beast....

eventually, if you're lucky, the denial moments get shorter and farther between, and the honest clear moments grow to fill that gap.

I honestly genuinely and sincerely hope you get lucky Karate

D
Old 03-09-2014, 05:32 AM
  # 69 (permalink)  

5 days today , feeling good .
Old 03-09-2014, 06:20 AM
  # 70 (permalink)  
Stingy athlete recovery method

Originally Posted by caboblanco View Post
no speaking from medical research on people who drink in moderation and overall health and longevity..why is that such a threatening concept that i have to keep hush.

It would seem that information about the medical value of alcohol or marijuana or opiates or adderall gets twisted into craziness by the rationalizing mind of a statistically significant fraction of the human population.

The human talent for rationalizing may even surpass the human talent for scientific research! What could be more human than to decide--after reading red wine reduces the risk of heart disease--that it is okay to eat two large pizzas if you chase it with two glasses of red wine. We all know someone who runs three miles on a treadmill so they can have the "Monster" sundae at the local ice cream shoppe.

I have used the valid concept "excessive stress is unhealthy" to rationalize taking several drinks. The problem is not science but the crazy way I insist on misinterpreting science when I am not thinking right.
Old 03-09-2014, 06:42 AM
  # 71 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mel12 View Post
It would seem that information about the medical value of alcohol or marijuana or opiates or adderall gets twisted into craziness by the rationalizing mind of a statistically significant fraction of the human population.

The human talent for rationalizing may even surpass the human talent for scientific research! What could be more human than to decide--after reading red wine reduces the risk of heart disease--that it is okay to eat two large pizzas if you chase it with two glasses of red wine. We all know someone who runs three miles on a treadmill so they can have the "Monster" sundae at the local ice cream shoppe.

I have used the valid concept "excessive stress is unhealthy" to rationalize taking several drinks. The problem is not science but the crazy way I insist on misinterpreting science when I am not thinking right.
ahh..I just rather doctors and other professionals tell me things straight up rather then filtering them to fit my special needs..or worse yet lying to me...drinking two glasses of wine a day as a health benefit has nothing to do with suggesting moderation for problem drinkers..only a career recovering alcoholic would put those two together
Old 03-09-2014, 07:02 AM
  # 72 (permalink)  
Sober Today

karate doesn't confuse me either. Sounds exactly like I was for decades, trying to figure out if I had a problem or not when I actually had a huge, glaring one.

Originally Posted by jdooner View Post
Karate, for me as my drinking progressed it would take less and less alcohol to get me drunk and into black out state. This is fairly common in later stage of alcoholism.
Oh my gosh, I was starting to think I was the only one!! I've said soooo many times that I just don't understand why I started blacking out on what I don't consider to be very many drinks. It's like at the end I could drink LESS (but was drinking more due to drinking past blackout).

All *they* talk about is building a huge tolerance but I felt mine was decreasing.
Old 03-09-2014, 07:15 AM
  # 73 (permalink)  
Stingy athlete recovery method

Originally Posted by caboblanco View Post
ahh..I just rather doctors and other professionals tell me things straight up rather then filtering them to fit my special needs..or worse yet lying to me
I fully agree, as one my pet peeves is the filtered information about exercise that is everywhere used on the grounds that direct information will alienate people. Still, on balance, the basic message "try to keep your body moving" is being conveyed. Similarly, the basic message "drinking a lot is bad" is out there. I am curious how the discussion of marijuana will proceed in coming years: what forms of straight up or filtered information will dominate the discussion?
Old 03-09-2014, 08:16 AM
  # 74 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mel12 View Post
I fully agree, as one my pet peeves is the filtered information about exercise that is everywhere used on the grounds that direct information will alienate people. Still, on balance, the basic message "try to keep your body moving" is being conveyed. Similarly, the basic message "drinking a lot is bad" is out there. I am curious how the discussion of marijuana will proceed in coming years: what forms of straight up or filtered information will dominate the discussion?
filtered information about marijuana? you talk in such radical ways lol
Old 03-09-2014, 08:33 AM
  # 75 (permalink)  

Karate--please stay. I understand exactly what you are going through. It's your path, no one else's.
Old 03-09-2014, 09:55 AM
  # 76 (permalink)  

I noticed Somthing , at moderate amounts of drinking .

My mental ability is reduced the next day as well .

Energy levels are reduced as well as attitude .

Now , think about I have not been excessively drinking ,
But small levels are enough to make my mental job difficult .

Just a little thing to think about .

I was not dependent , but it was enough to take my edge off .
ALCOHOL IS A SUPRESSANT.
Take the edge off, wow. The edge of life? life is life time to grow and and deal with it.
Old 03-09-2014, 10:24 AM
  # 77 (permalink)  
EndGame

Originally Posted by GreenEggsAndHam View Post
karate doesn't confuse me either. Sounds exactly like I was for decades, trying to figure out if I had a problem or not when I actually had a huge, glaring one.

Oh my gosh, I was starting to think I was the only one!! I've said soooo many times that I just don't understand why I started blacking out on what I don't consider to be very many drinks. It's like at the end I could drink LESS (but was drinking more due to drinking past blackout).

All *they* talk about is building a huge tolerance but I felt mine was decreasing.
The liver's impaired ability to metabolize or break down alcohol is referred to as "reverse tolerance," and is very common in late stages of alcoholism. It typically alternates with episodes of high tolerance, the latter of which often include experiences of "drinking ourselves sober."

Reverse tolerance often indicates that there is damage to the liver caused by heavy drinking that induces a higher BAC, and then leads to a buildup of fat and scar tissue.
Old 03-09-2014, 03:55 PM
  # 78 (permalink)  

Long thread.......so Karate do we have a path we are going to follow?