Notices

A night out with the drinking mates

Old 03-08-2014, 01:58 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
lillyknitting

A night out with the drinking mates

I know I've babbled on before about this subject but it's dear to my heart so bear with me folks: last night (Friday night!!)was invited to a friends birthday, the usual drinking mates, usual scenario, have a bit of dinner to basically soak up the booze, then, on to pub!!

I arrived to find just the hardcore few there early. As drinking had not yet begun the atmosphere felt like someone had died! They ordered champagne! Surprise, surprise. I Oerter a bottle of sparkling water. They made a huge deal about celebrating a birthday with the champagne then the others arrived.

The whole evening was mental; it was like being in kindergarden with a whole load of shouting kids; people shouting, couldn't possibly hear on a one-to-one, one girl sitting next to me kept on & on about some argument, then she started crying!! At one stage I felt so miserable & fed up I wished I hadn't gone. There were a few times I was offered wine, I refused. They were guzzling it like no tomorrow & ordered more. Then the time came to pay the bill & for them to proceed to the pub....

Phew. When I got home I felt utterly relieved. All I can say to peeps here who report that they think they're missing out on a good time is, go out with the usual crowd & don't drink. Then see for yourself what your missing?!!!

This morning I feel extra wonderful because it was always Saturday's that I felt so dreadful after the night before: no pounding head, no feeling sick, no heart pounding in my chest I feel it's going to explode, no feeling guilt, no feeling utterly dreadful like I can't go on. No feeling of anxiety. Why would I ever want to go back to that. I just wanted to tell you how wonderful life is without alcohell. X
Old 03-08-2014, 05:31 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Your story sounds very similar to the nights I dread going through myself. It was nice to hear your perspective.. In the end, we really aren't missing out on anything at all, are we?! I guarantee half the people there can't remember the night anyway!

Good job on staying strong in such a tempting situation.. I'm proud!!
Old 03-08-2014, 06:24 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I and many others with your experience never or hardly made it through OK in the long term. That sort of experience was eventually a death blow to many as it "showed" us we could handle it ok/NOT. We never get rid of our AV or sh!t fairy which will tell us we're ok now.

BE WELL
Old 03-10-2014, 02:25 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Great post Lilly , the further away from drinking you get the more absurd and ridiculous the whole thing seems.

Meeting some friends next Thursday , pie n mash in angel , then coffee and then a 7 mile walk across London . I honestly think my sobriety is rubbing of and them lol !

I now have zero interest in going in pubs bars , same old red faced loud people talking bs zzzzzz .

Rock on Lilly !