Notices

It seems so impossible

Old 03-06-2014, 08:21 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Phoenix Rising Again

It seems so impossible

So, I'm on day 8 and I have no urge to drink, especially after the hell my body went through after my last binge. I've been reading so many posts here and am very inspired by so much that I've read but I have to admit, when I read how long people have been sober, it seems so overwhelming and impossible to go that long. I know it's a "one day at a time thing" but the thought of going 7 months without a drink makes me want to, well, drink.
Old 03-06-2014, 08:24 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
oak

Welcome! I think it is very common to be triggered by thinking about going for many months without a drink. It gets easier over time. Congrats on 8 days!!!
Old 03-06-2014, 08:59 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Seems ironic doesn't it, the more we worry about wanting to drink the more we worry.
Acknowledge the feeling in a non judgmental way and remind yourself that no matter what happens you don't have to drink today.
Old 03-06-2014, 09:13 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Re-Member

It does feel that way at first. Scary enough to drink over. Not the thought of not drinking forever. But fearing the failure that seems more possible made me almost want to drink it away. I feared the relapse that others made sound inevitable, or normal. It has been a while sober. There comes a point where we wonder how we ever thought that circular. And the fear and cravings go away with only the occasional reminder here.

It is only scary thinking about ever going back to that prison. Thanks for the reminder! Just hang in there and see. Get local support too however you want to do that. Meetings, counseling whatever. But having someone who is just like me, and accepting who I am and want to be, instead of who I've been, really helped me. YMMV

The obsession goes away if you work it out. How? With a little help from your friends. Here, there, and everywhere. Sheesh, sorry. Beatles stream of consciousness.

Congrats!
Old 03-07-2014, 03:03 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Originally Posted by Aarryckha View Post
the thought of going 7 months without a drink makes me want to, well, drink.
Only a mind obsessed with alcohol can produce that thought. I know, I've had one!

The fact that I can drink over a fifth of vodka every night started to scare me. The fact I lost my boyfriend of six years and just about everyone else in my life should have scared me more.... I drink until I black out and then I have to try to piece together what happened so I can fool myself into thinking those around me don't know....I gave up on my meds because they interferred with drinking.
All those things SHOULD scare you. But today, you're afraid of giving them up for 7 months. Nonsensical, isn't it?

Keep starving that addiction, and clear thinking will return. You can do this!
Old 03-07-2014, 04:14 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

So, I'm on day 8 and I have no urge to drink, especially after the hell my body went through after my last binge. I've been reading so many posts here and am very inspired by so much that I've read but I have to admit, when I read how long people have been sober, it seems so overwhelming and impossible to go that long. I know it's a "one day at a time thing" but the thought of going 7 months without a drink makes me want to, well, drink.
Congratulations on day 8, one day at a time. I haven't had a drink for many years and it's still one day at a time for me. I remember an old timer years ago when asked how long he's sober responded "today."

BE WELL
Old 03-07-2014, 04:50 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

Congratulations on your 8 days Aarryckha. Your doing good. Keep close if SR is part of your plan. Don't look to far ahead if you can help it. That little voice will use 7 months down the road to get you to drink now.
Old 03-07-2014, 04:55 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

You're doing fine Aarryckha

Noone lives their lives 50 years at a time...we live day by day - it's ok to look at your recovery that way too - at least for now.

Commit to not drinking today - that's achievable - and commit to recommitting tomorrow as well

with a little sober time under your belt you may find forever won't feel so daunting

D
Old 03-07-2014, 05:08 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

It is daunting for me to think about "never" without a drink too. Very daunting.

When I posted my first post here a few days ago, Amajorityofone said something in my thread: "Friend- Life is simple. We make it complicated. Can you stop for just, one, day? That's all I ever ask myself to do. Astronomic changes often come from tiny beginnings. Food for thought "

That seems so simple but every day I have been asking, can I do it for one more day? And the answer has been yes. Right now it's not helpful for me to think about "years" or "never." Just today. Maybe that will help you too?
Old 03-07-2014, 05:22 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

When I first quit I couldn't think of 'forever'. It was all about 'today' and 'today' only. But the longer I stayed sober, the easier it was to think in terms of never drinking again. Reason for that was that life was so much better sober that I no longer wanted to drink.
Old 03-07-2014, 05:25 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

it does take a while, just hang in there and remind yourself that it does go away. Your friends here at SR are proof of it