Notices

Standing up for myself

Old 03-05-2014, 05:32 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Standing up for myself

When I was drinking I hated myself. I isolated a lot. Night after night alone in my bedsit with my wine. That was me.

Well, I am starting small. Today I went into a shop to buy something, and the price on the shelf said €4.50, but when I got to the till the girl told me it was €5.99. Now I know it's not a big deal but I am a bit shy and I like to stick up for myself when I can, so I politely told her that it was written on the shelf €4.50. So she said "show it to me"...anyway she sold it to me for €4.50 but as I was leaving the store I saw her take the price down (P.S. I also know that legally, she hadn't a leg to stand on...by law she had to give it to me for the display price...but still...victory for the little people). And there have been many times in the past when I would have paid the till price...

I am at four months and kind of feel like I am waking up from a long sleep. My energy is returning slowly as well. Like I want to go and do new things but I have to fight the feeling of wanting to hide at home...this time with my book, not wine or vodka.
Old 03-05-2014, 05:41 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Little victories add up!
Old 03-05-2014, 05:51 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

You kicked ass Tetra!! . . . victory!!
Old 03-05-2014, 05:55 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I love this. You're waking up to your true worth again. Yay!
Old 03-05-2014, 07:32 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Yeah, tetra! I'm just over 4 months and am experiencing the same thing - my confidence has grown, I am sticking up for me and not being nearly as passive as I used to. Thanks for sharing your story!
Old 03-05-2014, 08:39 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Tetra View Post
When I was drinking I hated myself. I isolated a lot. Night after night alone in my bedsit with my wine. That was me.

Well, I am starting small. Today I went into a shop to buy something, and the price on the shelf said €4.50, but when I got to the till the girl told me it was €5.99. Now I know it's not a big deal but I am a bit shy and I like to stick up for myself when I can, so I politely told her that it was written on the shelf €4.50. So she said "show it to me"...anyway she sold it to me for €4.50 but as I was leaving the store I saw her take the price down (P.S. I also know that legally, she hadn't a leg to stand on...by law she had to give it to me for the display price...but still...victory for the little people). And there have been many times in the past when I would have paid the till price...

I am at four months and kind of feel like I am waking up from a long sleep. My energy is returning slowly as well. Like I want to go and do new things but I have to fight the feeling of wanting to hide at home...this time with my book, not wine or vodka.
Yes I do not know if stores do this on purpose or not. But that is so minor. If I was in total ***** mode I would have handled that differently. Good for you for doing that. What is your plan to continue with this "sobriety idea" of yours. Because we can have all the ideas in the world, but if we do not act upon them then they are just thoughts. Just like step 3 in AA. A decision without action is just a thought. I could never get sober on my own, I needed some help, that help came from AA. For me.
Old 03-06-2014, 01:58 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Here in Australia they have to sell the item to you at the advertsed price. Some supermarkets here will give you the item for free if it scans at a higher price than advertised. When I was working in retail, if that happened we had to change the displayed price to what it scanned at. Nothing against the customer, but company policy. Good on you for standing up for yourself though. A lot of people wouldn't have said anything. Win for you.
Old 03-06-2014, 02:14 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by matt4x4 View Post
Yes I do not know if stores do this on purpose or not. But that is so minor. If I was in total ***** mode I would have handled that differently. Good for you for doing that. What is your plan to continue with this "sobriety idea" of yours. Because we can have all the ideas in the world, but if we do not act upon them then they are just thoughts. Just like step 3 in AA. A decision without action is just a thought. I could never get sober on my own, I needed some help, that help came from AA. For me.
I find the tone of your post somewhat patronising.

My plan is to continue with my "sobriety idea" with the help of my therapist, my addictions therapist, aftercare meetings and SR.

Yes, it was minor, but it meant something to me as in the past I would have paid the till price without complaining.
Old 03-06-2014, 02:29 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

you go girl! don't take no crap
Old 03-06-2014, 02:31 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

It's the small things that count! Good for you!
Old 03-06-2014, 02:59 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Tetra View Post

K.I.S.S.