Notices

Advice for 6 Months and beyond?

Old 03-05-2014, 08:27 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Advice for 6 Months and beyond?

I'm approaching the 6 month mark this Saturday. Months 2 - 5 were smooth sailing but now each day feels like a struggle. Is this normal? What were your experiences? Any advice for 6 months and beyond?
Old 03-05-2014, 08:44 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

First off, congrats on reaching this milestone.

My advice: Don't get complacent about your recovery, especially now with a major milestone approaching. Milestone slumps (and relapses) are common.

Reseach PAWS (post acute withdrawal syndrome). It will perhaps explain why you are feeling the way you are feeling. It helped me knowing I wasn't failing in my recovery or going crazy.

I was there, at 6 months. Here's a blog entry:
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ays-sober.html

And I stayed sober. So can you!
Old 03-05-2014, 09:45 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Everyone will have down times in life, alcoholic or non-alcoholic, but they always pass xxxxx
Old 03-05-2014, 09:52 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Take it One Day at a Time. Set an agenda which includes AA, Work, Love and Play. Go to a meeting, call someone in AA, meet someone in AA, do your morning meditation and ask for help not to drink. Go to work, do good work and give a days work for a days pay. Try to do something for someone without them or anyone else knowing about it, and probably most important, do something for yourself, just for yourself and make it a fun thing to do. My basics were and still are, DON'T DRINK, GO TO MEETINGS, HAVE A SPONSOR AND WORK WITH HIM, AND WORK THE STEPS DAILY.
Old 03-05-2014, 10:02 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks for the support everyone. I may have to check out a meeting. I went to a few meetings during my last serious attempt 6 years ago, but never made it past 4 months so I stopped going.
Old 03-05-2014, 11:33 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

My advice is to work the steps, and keep working the steps. Everyday work the steps. We are never cured, we only have a daily reprieve and yes this smooth sailing is normal, because its very easy to stay sober and not drink when nothing is going on in life. However life happens and when life happens and you do not have the skills that are given to you, then the drink becomes appealing.
Old 03-05-2014, 11:33 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by gr9813 View Post
I'm approaching the 6 month mark this Saturday. Months 2 - 5 were smooth sailing but now each day feels like a struggle. Is this normal? What were your experiences? Any advice for 6 months and beyond?
I'm a little more than twelve months ahead of you. March 20th marks my nineteenth month anniversary.

My advice?

Set some goals, and don't just set them, set them HIGH. Your life will take on far greater meaning if it is lived with a higher sense of purpose.

Coach a kids baseball team this spring. Start reading books. (I've read 26 in the last twelve months alone) Sign up for a 5k, and then train for it. Start a business. Paint your house. Plan a vacation to Africa. Learn a second language. These are just a few of the ideas swirling around in my head.

Above all, remember the most important thing is this....Do you have the courage to think? Because if you can think, you can move, you can evolve, you can grow, you can become.