Notices

Long term drinker

Old 03-04-2014, 01:59 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Long term drinker

I have been drinking virtualy every day for the past six years, most days I just have a few vodka's to help me chill in the evening after work, but other days I go on binges and drink myself senseless.
I never keep alcohol in the house and only buy small amounts every day, as I have no will power after a few drinks and end up drinking the lot!

I know I have to quit drinking after a recent heart attack, but struggle to pass an off licence in the evening, as I live alone and find the evening hard work just sitting around watching tv.

Old 03-04-2014, 02:31 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

“A strong man cannot help a weaker unless the weaker is willing to be helped, and even then the weak man must become strong of himself; he must, by his own efforts, develop the strength which he admires in another. None but himself can alter his condition.”
-James Allen
Old 03-04-2014, 02:36 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I think a long term sobriety plan is best.

Are you seeking additional then SR? I am going to an addiction clinic next monday. Took me a lot to admit I was failing on my own. But just making the call for an appointment gave me a bit of hope.

Maybe you need some extra support as well?
Old 03-04-2014, 03:31 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Cumb, so is that what your gong to do? Stop drinking?
Old 03-04-2014, 03:57 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome cumbrianguy. We all understand just how you feel. I hope you'll stay and keep posting - there is a lot of support & encouragement here.

I had to stop all together because I was like you. Once I got a few in my system there was no telling where it would stop. You'll feel so much better with it out of your life.
Old 03-04-2014, 04:14 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I hope the support here can help you stop drinking for good.
Old 03-04-2014, 04:24 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Good Call! This site has been a fantastic help for me and I haven't had a drink since Christmas 2013.
Old 03-04-2014, 05:30 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Get a dog and walk hime every evening. Pet him while you watch tv...In other words find something new and something that relaxes you
Old 03-04-2014, 05:36 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by matrac View Post
Get a dog and walk hime every evening. Pet him while you watch tv...In other words find something new and something that relaxes you
Yes, that's good advice (unless you are allergic to dogs or something like that). I have a couple of dogs and they are good company.

Cumbrian, you can get lots of good advice here, but you might need some human contact as well. Maybe a local AA group is available to you? It couldn't hurt to try. Anyway, we are with and you and know how you feel. I just quit on February 10 and I'm sure glad I did. I feel so much better now, both morning and night. And coming here has been one of the things that gave me the courage to quit drinking.

Blessings to you, and good luck on your journey!
Old 03-04-2014, 11:57 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Welcome Cumbrianguy xxxxxx
Old 03-05-2014, 11:39 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I made every excuse in the book to keep drinking, except the only excuse that was need to stop. I had to wake up and deal with the issues at hand. The issue is I drink alcohol, I am an alcoholic, We drink for the effect, never the taste, I drank to change the way I feel. Alcohol is a drug. An addict is exactly the same as an alcoholic. People who do not get this say they are an addict and an alcoholic. Both are the same, they are redundant. So the key is to put the bottle down and get some help. Go to your doctor. Go to AA. Go to church. Go to SMART recovery. Go. Go. Go. Go. Go.
Old 03-10-2014, 05:03 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I was the same way cumb. today I have 14 sober days. I even drank the same way every day for a LONG . I wallowed the bottom for a few weeks,trying to work and such then I humbled up and told my company I need help and I'm going to detox for a bit. that didn't work to well they could have killed me go to medical assisted detox if you need don't do it alone it real dangerous. keep calm and sober on....