Notices

So you drink for the taste, do you?

Old 03-04-2014, 04:14 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I like the taste of alcohol, but I like the feeling even better. I didn't drink for the taste but it was always a plus.
Old 03-04-2014, 05:06 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Eh I have said this elsewhere but it just depends. A really good wine can be drunken just for taste if you like it. Same for beer if that's your thing. In the large quantities? Obviously not. But a couple glasses? Sure, just like I could drink two glasses of diet coke in the same record.
Old 03-04-2014, 05:30 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I only drank for the buzz? Even when I was drinking thousand dollar bottles of wine. While I found them palatable, the driving factor was and is always the buzz. I never liked beer, ever and ended up with Vodka bc I felt it was the most efficient delivery system.

I am an addict/alcoholic though and I know many who do love the taste of beer and wine. That is there experience. I don't for a minute believe they are lying to themselves but then again, they don't end end doing lines of coke off a strippers breasts dropping $15K in a night after a glass of wine either:-)
Old 03-04-2014, 05:33 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

My mouth salivates at the smell of beer.

I never did understand people drinking a certain drink and not liking the taste of it.
Old 03-04-2014, 05:56 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jdooner View Post
ended up with Vodka bc I felt it was the most efficient delivery system.
This sums up the progression of alcoholism, the dilemma each night after work was I would have only a limited window of time to drink before bedtime, that never changed, but I needed to drink an ever increasing amount to create the same buzz!!

Beer in the end just was efficient enough due to the large volumes required!! . . . and so I switched to teaching my taste buds all about the world of whisky!!
Old 03-04-2014, 07:33 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I loved, and I mean LOVED the taste of beer from the very first sip I ever had, at around five years old. It wasn't until I was about 13 or 14 years old until I drank enough to actually feel a buzz.

Near Beer? Puh-leeze!!!!!
Old 03-04-2014, 07:41 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Its a cold and its a broken hallelujah.

Lets just say I "acquired" a taste for fine wines because it served to hide my raging habit fairly well.

After I would get done swilling and swishing and commenting like a nauseating high brow snob regarding a wines complexity, legs, blah, I would be secretly slamming 2 Buck Chuck like it was my job.
Old 03-04-2014, 08:01 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Grateful

I have always loved the taste of beer. Having said that, the last few years of my drinking I bought off brand ice beer because it was cheaper and had a higher alcohol content. That's right...Bush Ice...10.99 for a case.

Like others have said, good taste was a bonus but not a necessity.
Old 03-04-2014, 08:33 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

See this is why I am still conflicted. I would never drink anything I didn't enjoy, just to get drunk or something. I have said and I am truly here to kick my wine habit (2-3 glasses, 6 or so nights a week) but I have tried wines that I do not particularly like and I don't drink them, let alone other types of alcohol that I don't like. When I have finished a bottle of wine by myself it's been a wine that I really enjoy, just as much as it's for the calm buzz.
Old 03-04-2014, 10:35 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Well, i liked the taste of beer fine, but ended up at mostly vodka. Drank untold gallons of it over the years and didnt exactly hate it but Im guessing the sales of a "Near Vodka" product would be.. oh about ZERO lol
Old 03-04-2014, 10:41 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

I used to drink rum coke and lotsssssssssssssssssssss of ice for the initial taste. Then the buzz took over
Old 03-04-2014, 10:47 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Grateful

Originally Posted by KF85 View Post

See this is why I am still conflicted. I would never drink anything I didn't enjoy, just to get drunk or something. I have said and I am truly here to kick my wine habit (2-3 glasses, 6 or so nights a week) but I have tried wines that I do not particularly like and I don't drink them, let alone other types of alcohol that I don't like. When I have finished a bottle of wine by myself it's been a wine that I really enjoy, just as much as it's for the calm buzz.
I see your point, but my reason for going to the cheap stuff was purely for financial reasons. As my consumption kept rising it became very expensive and I couldn't afford to pay that much every day. The choice was "simple" when the two options were to drink cheaper beer or drink less of the good stuff. Luckily I finally found a 3rd option, get sober and do not drink at all.
Old 03-04-2014, 08:31 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

I can only speak from my experience. I started out drinking for taste. Lots of import beers. But alcoholism is progressive and it progressed on me. By the time I was done and my life was nearly destroyed I was drinking anything cheap and strong. Taste became irrelevant once I was just chasing that buzz. Yeah I have a thinking problem.
Old 03-04-2014, 09:46 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Alcohol tastes good? For me, not at first. I thought beer was vile, in fact, when I was a kid my parents took me on the Anheuser Busch brewery tour and I cried because I couldn't stand the smell of the hops.

I remember trying Chardonnay wine at a holiday gathering and thinking it was terrible.

For me, alcohol was an acquired taste, and I acquired it because I liked the way it made me feel. It was never about taste, it was about getting high or drunk.
Old 03-05-2014, 12:11 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

I don't think anyone drinks meths for the taste, but it sure has a kick.
Old 03-05-2014, 05:16 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

it tastes good in my belly
Old 03-06-2014, 09:16 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Drinking for the taste was a delusion that is long gone for me. Taste had nothing to do with it even if in the early days I thought it did.
Old 03-07-2014, 10:06 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

My thought process was essentially "ok I'm gonna drink some alcohol, now let's pick out what type of alcohol I'm gonna drink based on the taste."
Old 03-08-2014, 03:17 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  
at peace

I drank beer for both taste and the buzz early in my career. Loved the taste of an ice cold beer on a hot summer evening. It's when I started purchasing some of the cheaper beers especially that absolutely awful tasting camo hi gravity stuff (think it was 8.5% by vol) .... it was solely to get hammered