Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

What do you think is the best legal age for drinking?

Notices
View Poll Results: which is the best legal drinking age?
51.16%
13.95%
none
27.91%
6.98%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

What do you think is the best legal age for drinking?

Old 03-03-2014, 02:32 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

I am with Ladyblue and others with 18. If you are old enough to be cannon fodder for your country, you're old enough to make an informed decision about drinking. Focus should be on education.
Or even better
b: We should raise the age for a disadvantaged youth (who is too young to drink) to join the armed forces and maybe go die in the Middle East because that's the only way s/he will be able to get a proper education and better themselves and their families. After all, if they are not considered old enough to make good decisions about drink, they are definitely not old enough to make a decision about dying or getting scarred for life.......hmm
Old 03-03-2014, 02:34 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

19 or 20. This would keep it out of high schools still. In college, everyone can get access, so 21 just doesn't seem too logical.
Old 03-03-2014, 02:48 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Carlotta View Post
If you are old enough to be cannon fodder for your country, you're old enough to make an informed decision about drinking
Just thought I'd throw into the debate, you can sign up to the British army as a soldier (but not an officer) at 16yrs old with your parent's permission!!
Old 03-03-2014, 03:39 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I don't think it matters. I never had a problem getting alcohol when I was underage. Could Always find a "cool" parent or someone's older sibling to buy it for me .
Old 03-04-2014, 02:57 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

i agree that proper parenting is most important. I have read that the countries with the lowest legal drinking ages have the lowest alcohol abuse rates
Old 03-04-2014, 03:25 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

we will never entirely stop normal ones from drinking (why should we)

21 seems to work just fine for normies

but

us drunks should never (legally) be allowed to drink

we have proven in most cases that we are a danger to ourselves and others

Mountainman
Old 03-04-2014, 05:09 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I have also read about lower abuse in countries with lower legal age. I think it sort of comes down to less stigmatization sometimes. Often, young people want to do something simply because they can't or shouldn't. When it's not so forbidden it's less appealing, many young minds work that way.
Old 03-04-2014, 05:26 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by caboblanco View Post
and why?
It's not a health drink as it's toxic and slowly destroys body parts.
Old 03-04-2014, 08:57 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

At what age indeed

Well, where I grew up in Canada, it was 19 but of course, I drank alcohol for the first time when I was 11 and then again when I was 15, so had the legal drinking age been set to 21 or 30 I'm sure I would have gotten my hands on it by that time. At the time it really bothered me that I had to pay taxes, could vote in an election, and get married legally without the consent of an adult before I was able to drink alcohol as an adult, but what did I really know? I know now I shouldn't have gotten married at the age of 18, so it just tells me I knew nothing then. Likely my decision to consume alcohol was also driven by the curiosity of my innocent mind and desire to experience something forbidden.

I'm really not sure how alcohol can be used responsibly by adults or children, I don't know. I question the whole notion, because of the direct physical sensations that are felt from immediate consumption.

This question is pretty touchy. You've got balls for polling it.
Old 03-07-2014, 11:33 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Ryno032709

21 years old for general public - 18 on base for Military.

Speak with anyone in the US that lived through the drinking age being lowered from 21-18 and they will tell you high school seniors were getting drunk before during and after school.

With regard to the Military, being old enough to be ordered to kill and/or die for ones country should justify being old enough to drink.... But only within the confines of the Military base.
Old 03-07-2014, 12:29 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Well there is no doubt our highway deaths have been cut in half since it was raised to 21. I just have a problem with sending them around the world armed to the teeth, to kill or be killed, and telling them "you are too young to drink". Either you're an adult or you're not. I say 18.
Old 03-08-2014, 07:54 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

In Canada it is 19. Though it runs into problem in first year university because a lot are 18 but they seem to have no issues getting alcohol from older students. If people want to drink they will find a way to do it legal age or not. Same with drugs, drugs are illegal but people find ways to use it all the time. Though alcohol is way more readily available then other drugs because it's everywhere and legal, but really if people who are younger want alcohol they will find a way to get it. I know it is common for underage kids to get someone older to get it for them, and give the something in return, i.e. buy 4 vodka energy drinks give you the money to buy it and then give you one for yourself. Same with cigarettes, underage people get them all the time. Trade for it/ pay for it/ or just bum it off someone. It happens all the time.