Notices

Medical detox

Old 02-27-2014, 10:36 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Medical detox

Hello...

I am entering detox for alcohol on Tuesday. What can I expect? I know there will be an assessment, vital signs, probably a blood draw... but then do I just lay in a hospital bed? I have been suffering from insomnia so I figured sleep would be a big thing. What else happens in detox? TIA
Old 02-27-2014, 10:43 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Poison Eater Extraordinaire

It is actually quite boring. Each time I have gone you sort of mill around, watch TV, have a therapy session or 2. They give you librium usually for alcohol detox to make you comfortable. Nothing to worry about...you are not confined to a bed or anything. Also, they will give you something to help you sleep if you need it.
Old 02-27-2014, 12:14 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I am glad you posted this question as I too have often wondered myself. There have been a couple times I was detoxing at home and started to have some more severe withdrawals that made me think I should check into the hospital but fear held me back (stupid, yes.)
I think that if others could share their experiences in medical detox, it might put other's minds at ease that perhaps it is not as scary as it sounds. Just as to what one should sort of expect.
Old 02-27-2014, 01:22 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I've done one inpatient detox, and one detox in the community, and would say supervised detoxing is certainly better than the alternative of doing it yourself when you've been drinking heavily.

What you get is trained staff to see you through any feelings of panic or feeling unsafe, and help manage any symptoms of auditory or visual hallucinations it's possible you may experience, by measured admin of Librium and Valium. It would also depend on what type of facility you're going to - the inpatient detox I attended was part of a 6 week programme, where we were all expected to attend group and individual therapy, AA and do a life story to share with the group, and begin looking at the first three steps in AA. Personally, these days, I'm no longer sure of the wisdom of running a therapeutic approach alongside AA, as I was very easily confused, and there was an element that fed my denial in the therapeutic approach - but that could just be me. And, when the time's right, therapy is invaluable. But one thing at a time, would seem preferable to me now.

Similarly, the out-patient or in your own home detox, ran alongside an 8 week day programme, and the detox was managed by a nurse making twice daily visits, and having a relative (husband/wife/parent) agree to stay overnight. This was less favoured! I experienced a very severe panic attack while waiting for the alcohol to subside sufficiently to take the first doses of librium and valium, which actually is a very helpful recollection! This is not going to happen in an inpatient facility, and what didn't help either that rather than taking 'maintenance' doses of alcohol, as is sometimes advised, I was unable to do that to any sensible degree so made the situation worse than it needed to be. However, once the meds started, it made those symptoms much, much easier to manage.

Easy to say, as our nerves can be frazzled after a long period of heavy drinking (I know mine were) but in terms of the support and care I got, and in terms of ensuring physical safety while withdrawing from heavy drinking, there is no better place to go than a facility designed to help you do just that, so other than the icky experience of alcohol withdrawal itself, there is nothing to be scared of.

What you could do is phone the facility you're going to, to ask any questions you have? That may put your mind at rest about what to expect.

Wish you well
Old 02-28-2014, 03:27 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I have done one inpatient detox, and honestly it wasn't a whole lot more comfortable than doing it alone. It was quite painful, yet boring, though it was nice to have someone to check on me. I would say that it alleviates the anxiety about withdrawals. I am prone to seizures when I quit drinking, and being there let me get better without fear. Good luck
Old 02-28-2014, 06:14 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

My inpatient detox was quite comfortable. A millions time better than doing it alone. Just enough meds to keep you comfortable, and help you sleep.
Old 02-28-2014, 10:44 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I can't really count how many times I was in detox. Everything from the ER to Inpatient Intensive Treatment program, to jail time.
Two of the worst detoxing was doing it myself, & reporting to jail, where I was paying my debt to society & just being babysat; being confined to a cell and suffering the worst hallucinations.
ER was mostly an IV of either Ativan or Klonopin to take away anxiety, get me sober & check me out ASAP. Inpatient treatment was supervision by a nurse, but lots of group therapy - it was for 30 days, enough to get my brain working again.
Although I slipped and drank like before.
The ultimate solution for me was finding God, being prayed over & slowly allowing God to gradually fix the mess I got myself in. But everyone's method is different different I guess.
Old 03-01-2014, 12:00 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I did inpatient, and Knowing that there was someone there to help if I was In bad shape was very nice. They gave me Valium, different vitamins, blood pressure medication, and sleeping pills. They ask if you smoke or chew tobacco and put you on a nicotine patch if you do. Detox still wasn't fun but having medication like that makes it more tolerable.
Old 03-01-2014, 12:17 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Re-Member

I did inpatient seven day detox once and it stuck. As already said just enough meds to be comfortable. Not much to do except read which I did. I don't do daytime TV or talk shows, and surely not a judge Judy or whoever.