Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

For the first time im feeling anxiety at 2 months sober

Notices

Old 02-26-2014, 04:37 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hello everyone, I'm starting to feel real anxiety at 2 months sober, driving my car i feel uneasy, over thinking stuff, more worryingly is I am getting physical symptoms, my arms feel numb, so do my legs, I keep shaking, like muscle twitching, lose control of my arms, fluttering heart, proper anxiety symptoms, is this normal at 2 months sober? Never had that much anxiety getting sober?
Old 02-26-2014, 05:37 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Two months is excellent!

Yes, overthinking stuff is a habit of mine also. Actually it nearly killed me.

I had a chat with my Gran recently. She's nearly 90 but her mind is still as sharp as a razor. She said "if I could give you one piece of advice it would be to stop worrying. Life is so short". When she sees me frowning she says "stop that, you'll get wrinkles".

I used to go out with a guy and he said to me "I never met anyone who thinks as much as you". When I feel the anxiety creeping up on me now, I stop for a minute and take a few breaths. I say to myself "will this (whatever is bugging me) matter in 6 months time?" If the answer is no, I let it go.

I've had some very dark times in my life. Times I wasn't sure I was going to make it through the night. Another quote I like is "this too shall pass".

Hang in there. Things do get better xx
Old 02-26-2014, 05:45 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Read up on post acute withdrawal syndrome...I'm still experiencing anxiety months after but is gradually getting better....never had anxiety ever in my life but 9 days after quitting drinking had my first panic attack ever
Old 02-26-2014, 06:21 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

When I first quit the anxiety was pretty darn bad. All I could do was think about what I had done to my body and my brain. Fortunately getting a check up with the doctor alleviated most of my fears about what I had done to my body!

HOWEVER, I am still fairly anxious throughout the day. As I mentioned in your other thread I am constantly looking for things to be different now compared to before I started drinking. As in nearly ALWAYS. Its to the point where I'm fairly confident that all my worrying about mental deficits are the source of the mental problems themselves.

But it IS getting better! Just a little better every day.
Old 02-27-2014, 01:05 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I think anxiety is normal for almost everyone, and a lot of us who have used substances are perhaps more anxious naturally than others, hence the use of substances to relax.

our brains are adjusting to a new normal without using.

Can you try a yoga class? I go once a week and it really does help. The yoga nidra is the very best part of it.

Deep breathing really helps too, as does time.
Old 02-28-2014, 12:12 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
oak

Congrats on 2 months sober!

I would talk to a doctor or therapist about the anxiety.
Old 02-28-2014, 12:30 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Think about it like your brain is rebooting. All that time you were taking depressants, now you are overstimulated.

You will level out. It takes a while.

The physical anxiety symptoms are scary, but pretty harmless.

Seeing a doctor might be a good idea just to alleviate any stress that something more is occurring.

Many doctors will prescribe benzo type meds for anxiety which are extremely dangerous and addictive for an alcoholic. If you can ride it out, I think you'll be glad you made it without them.
Old 02-28-2014, 04:30 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Classic anxiety/panic symptoms. Maybe you have an anxiety disorder? Might be best to seek treatment before alcohol becomes your medicine.
Old 02-28-2014, 05:24 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Anxiety is not only a reason we use alcohol (to escape the discomfort), but it's the use of the drug that causes increased and additional anxiety. Your anxiety will lessen in time, but it takes a long period of complete and total abstinence to give your brain the chance to rewire. I grabbed the following from a report I snagged from a quick google search - hope you find it reinforcing and further motivation to seek a program of recovery:

Although pharmacological and psychological treatments for anxiety disorders are effective, the most common response for an individual with anxiety is to use recreational drugs, principally alcohol, to alleviate the symptoms. The widespread availability and relative low cost of alcohol means that although it is widely used as a social lubricant and for its short-term euphoriant effects, it is also frequently used as self-medication for anxiety disorders, low mood and sleep problems. Prospective studies show that alcohol dependence and anxiety disorders demonstrate a reciprocal causal relationship over time, with anxiety disorders leading to alcohol dependence and vice versa (Kushner et al, 1990).

If you find yourself waffling - seek treatment - left to our own devices our addiction can take over. Whether it's therapy, a 12 step group, or some other form of recovery, stay active in it! We are never standing still - we are either moving towards or away from a drink. We may not like it but if we are alcoholic then that's just the way it seems to be. Just be patient - I suffered from panic disorder and generalized anxiety disorder and it's all but gone, but after some years of sobriety and active work in AA. I hope you find something that works for you

Pulled quote from this page:
Treating anxiety complicated by substance misuse
Old 02-28-2014, 08:22 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

For me drinking just went hand in hand with doing stuff around the house...if I was cutting the grass or washing my truck I needed to have beer too and then just got the point where it was an everyday occurrence and it took a while to become an everyday thing for me so I'm sure it'll be awhile before I'm 100 percent normal but I'll take this anxiety for now over drinkng again...even with anxiety now I feel free
Old 02-28-2014, 08:49 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I went through stuff like that. The first year is pretty physical, especially the first six months. I was just reading a book by a recovering person who ran a detox, and she talks about a whole range of things like this that frequently happen.

I think it's good to read up on this stuff so you know what to expect. Stress is going to happen; we just need a good way to navigate it. I started meditation around that time; but the most important thing was lots of meetings so that not drinking was always a focus.
Old 02-28-2014, 09:08 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

In 2010 my anxiety was brutal. This website saved my life:

Natural Anxiety Cure | Panic Treatment | Self Help With Anxiety Attacks