Notices

Letting my doctor know - the booze

Old 02-24-2014, 11:26 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Letting my doctor know - the booze

I am going to see my doctor next Monday and I am going to tell him of my desire to stop drinking. I am on day 3 now and have drank twice in the last 12 days.

He knows I have had a history of drug and alcohol addiction in the past but dismissed it as a young adult experimenting. I quit smoking weed two years ago, and my drinking has picked up in the last 6 months.

It has got to the point where I know I am hitting a slippery slope if I continue and I am tired of feeling like garbage after a heavy night.

Don't worry about me when it comes to withdrawals, I have not experienced any. Other then a hangover the day after, no shakes, DT's, seizures, nausea, sweating, loss of appetite etc.

I have started to read the AA big book to gain some insight and learn more about the alcoholic. Even though I feel AA isn't for me, I think the book will offer plenty of positives that can help me stay sober.

I am also trying rational recovery with AVRT.

My parents already know of my desire to stop however I will be telling my closest friends very soon as well, they will be in for a shock. They know I drink by myself while we play ps3 online (but they just think I am just having a few, not 12-15)

Thanks Guys
Old 02-24-2014, 11:31 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Sounds like a great plan. Letting my doctor know was a big relief for me, even the act of just spilling my guts. The best thing you can do is be brutally honest about how much you drink, how often, and what your desire is.

Don't worry about your friends either, you might be surprised to find out that it won't be a shock to some of them. You might even find that some feel exactly the same way you do. We like to think our drinking is our little secret but in reality far more people know than we realize.

Sounds like you have a great plan in place, and I'm sure you'll be successful.
Old 02-24-2014, 11:35 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Being honest with your doctor is the best way to go. They can treat you effectively knowing your problems.
Old 02-24-2014, 01:02 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

That sounds like a great start Sorensen.

D
Old 02-24-2014, 01:33 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Good idea. Doctors are supposed to be understanding and supportive. I've never had a problem with any of them xxxxx
Old 02-24-2014, 01:38 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Randummy

This is great, good for you! My doctor was the first person I told about my desire to stop drinking and it was a huge relief because there was no judgment there at all.
I don't attend AA meetings but I have read the Big Book and keep hold of it as I think the more I read about addiction, the better.
Old 02-24-2014, 02:14 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Awesome plan! Good for you!
Old 02-25-2014, 09:09 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Day four today, had a hard time sleeping last night, then again, I have had a hard time falling asleep since I was a child - such an active mind, I have. Maybe that is one of the reasons I turned to alcohol; to escape reality and dull my racing thoughts. I am sure it will calm down in a few days....
Old 02-25-2014, 09:31 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by Sorensen View Post
Day four today, had a hard time sleeping last night, then again, I have had a hard time falling asleep since I was a child - such an active mind, I have. Maybe that is one of the reasons I turned to alcohol; to escape reality and dull my racing thoughts. I am sure it will calm down in a few days....
It took a week or two for my sleeping to start getting back to normal, but that was one of the biggest benefits to me of getting sober - sleeping all night without drinking- what a concept! You'll get there sooner than you think, keep up the good work.
Old 02-25-2014, 09:38 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
as a sober contributor

Good Plan, Sorensen! As previously said, be completely honest with him so that he can treat you effectively.

There is no time like the present, especially when you can be present in this time.

Good Luck!
Old 02-25-2014, 12:26 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Sounds like a plan!

Originally Posted by least View Post
Being honest with your doctor is the best way to go. They can treat you effectively knowing your problems.
This quote is very true. I wasn't worried about talking to my doctor about my drinking until I was reading some things online about people being afraid to tell their doctors for life insurance and employment reasons. They were afraid they'd be marked for life.

When I told my doctor, who had previously known I was a social drinker, that I was now an alcoholic and that I had stopped, she simply made a note that I was no longer a drinker of any sort (absolutely no mark was made about my alcoholism).

Congrats on quitting!