Notices

What can I expect after I quit?

Old 02-24-2014, 09:25 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What can I expect after I quit?

I have always been a weekend binge drinker, but last September I got a bad concussion from a bout of unexplained fainting, and I found that my concussion symptoms were relieved somewhat by drinking. I couldn't get out of bed without the room spinning or vomiting for months, and when I drank it lessened those symptoms. I told myself that it was temporary. But since then I've started drinking every day. Sometimes in the morning. It feels less like a craving and more like an overwhelming desire to escape my anxiety. I've been drinking hard now for six months. Before that, binging two to three days a week for about 15 years. I've given up alcohol for a month at a time before, but never after having drank every single day like this. I have been averaging one to two bottles of wine a day for six months. What have other people's experiences been with withdrawal? Should I even expect it? I've never had problems with it before, but things have never been so bad as they are now.
Old 02-24-2014, 09:30 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Withdrawals affect people differently. It can be dangerous. That's why it's usually recommended that you see your doctor, be truthful about the extent of your drinking and your desire to quit.

Oh, and welcome to SR.
Old 02-24-2014, 09:49 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I agree. See your doctor. You will feel so much better when you do. I think you should expect some withdrawal symptoms. You should tell him about your anxiety too
Old 02-24-2014, 11:37 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. I agree that asking your doctor for help is the safe way to detox. Here is a 'sticky' post that gives some of our experiences in quitting.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...at-we-did.html
Old 02-24-2014, 01:01 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Marci - welcome

Withdrawal affects different people differently. I also recommend you see a Dr - it's the best and safest way

D
Old 02-24-2014, 01:34 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Welcome Marci. Yes, get checked out and you will feel better eventually.xxxxxx
Old 02-24-2014, 03:13 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I didn't have problems with binging other than a hangover. However, when my drinking became more frequent and heavier, I did go through withdrawal. It was like a little more than the flu for me. It sounds like you might need some meds to help you through. Good luck.
Old 02-25-2014, 06:26 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

My doc seems to think that my drinking isn't enough to have dangerous withdrawals. He did say that he could give me valium if it gets too bad. Today is the first day without drinking and I have a headache and I feel depressed. I ended up binging on Netflix today instead of wine. Anything to keep me distracted I guess. Thanks for all the feed back.
Old 02-26-2014, 01:58 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Great to hear you went to see a Dr, a few slight discomforts are to be expected though, plenty of fluids, fresh air and healthy food are now the way forward.

Also there's no harm in chilling out and watching TV for the first few days, I remember I played large amounts of online games, simply as you say to pass time.

Keep pushing through!!