Notices

2 Weeks sober....

Old 02-24-2014, 06:37 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

2 Weeks sober....

I'm am feeling good, and I'm doing well in my life. I can't say that I haven't wanted a glass of wine with a nice dinner or after I get home from a long day's work, but I am really managing it.

I am going to a big party this weekend and so I am feeling a bit uncomfortable that there will be people there who will wonder why I am not going to have a drink. There will be a toast too. I think I have the will power to resist a drink, but wondering what to say if asked?
Old 02-24-2014, 06:47 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Randummy

Excellent! Two weeks is cool. Last time I detoxed I went to a big family wedding after a few days sober and it was hard but okay once the initial drink was over. I would recommend getting your drink to start with so that when you're talking to someone and they offer you another drink, you can just say, "Yeah, I'll have what I'm on" and it won't be a big thing as you have already established what you're drinking for the night.
I tried multiple lines at the wedding. I told one person I was on antibiotics and I couldn't drink, another that I wasn't feeling well and after a couple of hours if anyone pushed the issue, I just said I have a drinking problem so I abstain from it. You could say you are the designated driver too.
It definitely depends on the crowd. If I'm with my family or extended family, I will just tell them the truth, but if it's someone I don't know or don't particularly like, then I'll usually make some kind of bizarre story up. My personal favourite is the one when I told my father-in-law that I'd been walking home from work, attacked by a skunk, fought the skunk off with a can of bodyspray I had in my bag and then as I ran off, the skunk got his claws into my back and I'm now on antibiotics to counteract any skunk-infection.
Yeah, I love a good story.
Old 02-24-2014, 07:00 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by matrac View Post
I think I have the will power to resist a drink, but wondering what to say if asked?
Don't go and you won't have to worry about being asked.

I suggest not going because two weeks is early in your recovery, and while you feel good as you post this, you don't know how you'll feel when surrounded by alcohol and drinkers.

When I look back at my success at "finally" getting sober, I can say that this time I was willing to make the changes necessary to support an alcohol-free life. One of the easiest changes to make in the beginning is to avoid situations where previously we always drank, such as parties.

Just my thoughts...
Old 02-24-2014, 07:26 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

There's no way out of this function....There will be food and virgin drinks as well....I planned on diet sodas in hand at all times.
Old 02-24-2014, 07:26 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

So pleased for you xxx
Old 02-24-2014, 07:34 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

be on guard

Originally Posted by matrac View Post

I am going to a big party this weekend and so I am feeling a bit uncomfortable that there will be people there who will wonder why I am not going to have a drink.
congratulations on your two weeks sober
as we know -- that is a big deal for us drunks

I slipped up at a party once just short of three years
a wedding where I didn't know hardly anyone there
I got to feeling very tight
not having many sober tools at the time
I grabbed two beers (two beers) and drank them down fast
as I look back today I see where I should have just
took a nice little walk outside
so as to gather my sober thoughts
I have done this since
and have noticed
no one even missed me
and
it works for me very well

be on guard

Mountainman
Old 02-24-2014, 11:39 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Just say you gave up drinking for your health. That's an honest answer because living sober is better for your health.
Old 02-24-2014, 12:19 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Congrats on two weeks!!
"I'm driving" also works really well and doesnt invite further questions.
Old 02-24-2014, 12:21 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Good job
Old 02-24-2014, 12:32 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Well done matrac. Just be strong this weekend. It's only a few hours, so with two weeks sober, I'm sure you can stick to the diet soda.
Old 02-24-2014, 12:37 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 2 weeks. Honestly there are a million things you can say if someone asks you why you are not drinking. You've met your quota, your on medication, your driving, you over did it last night, etc. Or you can ask them why they ARE drinking. Best not to put yourself in that situation if there is any way to get out of it.