Notices

Invitation to share

Old 02-22-2014, 10:02 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Invitation to share

I just quit drinking 2/21/2014 - not very long ago!

I made my decision after yet another outburst that hurt the one I love and has jeapardized the continuation with the relationship. This is not the first time. I believe in my heart that it is the best decision to make for my mental, physical, emotional and spiritual health. I also believe that the people I love would be happy for me, and this would help me to grow and to secure the life I want.

Do you believe this for you? Can you tell me how the journey has been?

I would love to hear something about your progress.

I would like to debrainwash myself from having the desire to drink, such as I did with cigarettes.

Any advice?

Thank you for your share.
Old 02-22-2014, 10:28 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I believe in my heart that it is the best decision to make for my mental, physical, emotional and spiritual health. I also believe that the people I love would be happy for me, and this would help me to grow and to secure the life I want.
It's definitely been true for me.

Being sober has allowed me to get to know myself, and for others to know me.
Instead of running away from problems and feelings, I've embraced them...and grown

Instead of living in a world ever contracting to me and a bottle, my world has expanded...I'm part of many lives and many lives are apart of mine.

I feel free, not weighed down. I know peace and serenity now for the first time in my adult life.

The road was not always easy, especially in the beginning, and it took work and time and patience...

but embracing recovery was the best decision I ever made

I gained a life.

D
Old 02-22-2014, 10:52 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I am in day 12 so I am newly sober. Quitting has ti be the best decision because alcoholism is a progressive dies ease or illness or however you want to look at it. It doesn't just fade out of our lives. For me, I have been trying to quit for 4-5 years, I fail every time. I started going to AA which I have only been twice, but I wanted to figure out the twelve steps. From what I hear, it works, if you have the desire to quit. I got a sponsor yesterday. From just this very short experience I feel like since I'm opening up about it, it's making it a tad bit easier, because so many people are at the same place we are.
Old 02-22-2014, 11:11 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'm only on day 2 of being sober, so I feel ya on that one. I have a HUGE urge to quit for so many reasons. I have let alcohol be my crutch for everything. Isolation has been one major thing; getting wasted by myself became the way of life. Like everyone says, it is gradual. I began recording how much I was drinking- it has gotten so bad I drank every night or would binge drink and not even remember how much I had until I'd find empty cans and bottles hidden under my bed.

I honestly have been in such a fog, and I know it's due to drinking. I miss the old me. Physically, I have terrible acid reflux from drinking, and get really bad pains on my right side. [I don't take my lexapro like I should on a daily basis, so i'm not sure if that has a role in it]. Hangovers are usually throwing up bile for an entire day, shaking, and feeling like death. I want to physically feel better, so I am going to quit drinking.

It has also affected my work life. Everyone makes fun of me and refers to me as 'pukey'. That sucks, but I have pretty tough skin. I have made a huge fool out of myself when drinking with co-workers, and have a pretty bad reputation; I once had to be carried by 3 of them to my front doorstep one time while i drooled and vomited all over myself after consuming an ungodly amount of booze at a bar. You'd think that would have been enough for me to stop.

Money is another thing that I put into it. I'd spend so much money every week going through cases of beer, boxes of wine, bottles of liquor- you name it. When I'd go to the bars with my friends, my own tab would almost cost half of my paycheck. It's such a waste of money.

I've got a very long road ahead of me, and I know you do as well. With help from others it will get better. Seriously hit me up if you want to talk or need to vent. It took me a long time to figure out how much alcohol is ruining everything around me, and I no longer put it on a pedestal relying on it to function everyday. It's amazing that it took me this long to wake the hell up.
I've lost a lot because of drinking, and now it's time to gain back with sobriety.
Old 02-23-2014, 12:58 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I was feeling pretty raw at two days as well because I had hit my own personal rock bottom.
All those "jewels" you described are the things I hoped for and they have been given to me in good measure. I also know that there are no limits to growth. Everyday it gets better, even with the stumbles and grey days the direction is always up and forward.
I'm not the same person I was 18 months ago. Not by a long shot. You can't buy that sort of "personal improvement" anywhere. You just believe in yourself, forgive and have faith.
After a while personal "wants" don't even seem to matter so much anymore. Priorities become shifted and adjusted to simple things away from self. There is no longer a feeling of missing out or being deprived or getting hung up on "stuff". Others become important and small things gone unnoticed before all the sudden become clear. Its living in the Now.
I personally have experienced most of the promises mentioned in the Big Book. The come with time and they get stronger. More you put in, more you get out.
Old 02-23-2014, 02:03 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
instant

Only in retrospect did i realise that 'quitting drinking' is not the same as embracing sobriety unconditionally.

i was dying, now i am living.

its the way to go.
Old 02-23-2014, 03:42 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Dee, I love the way you put this: "Instead of living in a world ever contracting to me and a bottle, my world has expanded."

I am 19 months sober. The quality of my relationships with others, as well as my "relationship" with myself, has improved immensely. As Dee expresses, freedom from alcohol has given me the ability to really connect with others. And freedom from alcohol has meant freedom from shame.

It's worth it.
Old 02-23-2014, 04:01 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

myheartaches, I had a quiet steady drinking habit which didn't really impact on others but quitting has had huge benefits for me. The main one would be taking back a part of my life which was out of control. Apart from that there are benefits to health, self esteem and looks. And it's not hard, once you get used to it.
I won't be going back.
Old 02-23-2014, 04:57 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

Originally Posted by instant View Post
Only in retrospect did i realise that 'quitting drinking' is not the same as embracing sobriety unconditionally.

i was dying, now i am living.

its the way to go.
Big thumbs up on the above. I'm experiencing life now like I never have. If I knew it could be this good I would have carried through all the prior times that I said I was going to quit.

Some say the hardest thing is the cravings. For me it was staying honest with myself when the urges hit. The day that you quit you become very committed and have sound reasoning. The further you get from that last drink the less important those words seem to become. It's only through honesty and recognition of the fact that it's the addiction speaking that you can be successful.

It's really interesting that you posted this:

I would like to debrainwash myself from having the desire to drink, such as I did with cigarettes.
After 9 months of recovery you couldn't hit the nail on the head any better. Sobriety is a reprogramming of the brain. Training yourself to think differently. You have to find what works for you. I can tell you that SR has been monumental in me still being sober today.

Welcome to the board, this gets better, SO MUCH better. You just have to hang in there and be honest with yourself. You're in training for a better life

You CAN do this.
Old 02-23-2014, 05:13 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I am only 19 days in but I feel so much better about myself. I am in control of my life. There are no more secrets, no more hiding. Freedom is awesome. Good luck on your journey.
Old 02-24-2014, 06:34 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

[QUOTE=LadyBlue0527;4488739
Training yourself to think differently. You have to find what works for you. [/QUOTE]

Thank you, I really want to believe that I can do this, it's been 4 days now, and it seems to be going okay, I just want to stay on track, and as of right now, I haven't exactly been tested, but I've been praying for the courage to fight this.

Thank you so much for your response.