Notices

I'm going to stop drinking

Old 02-22-2014, 10:04 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I'm going to stop drinking

Hi everyone, my name is Josh, and I've decided to stop drinking as of this past Monday. I'm 33 and have had a drinking problem since about 15, and was on the verge of losing my wife due to my alcohol issues early this week.

I look forward to this challenge, and would like to use this forum as a way to get support and also to support others in their dependency issues. I look forward to opening my life to others through this forum.

Cheers!
Old 02-22-2014, 10:20 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Good luck Josh. What's your sobriety plan? I find having a plan to commit to and follow really helps in early sobriety.
Old 02-22-2014, 10:33 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Josh. Feel free to come into the chat room too if you require extra support. There are usually people in there that know the struggles of giving up drinking/drugs. They also hold regular meetings.
Old 02-22-2014, 10:34 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks Amy. I plan on meeting with a counselor fairly often, and have an appointment this week. I went to a SMART meeting a couple of days ago, but it wasn't for me. I get a lot of anxiety in group situations.

I also think this forum will be a useful tool for me to find other ways to help me plan for this.

I'm actually having a terrible day today, and that's why I signed up for this forum.
Old 02-22-2014, 11:40 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome, Josh! The first week or two can be tough. Be good to yourself.

This board is a great source of information and support.
Old 02-22-2014, 11:44 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome, Josh. SR is a great place with so many supportive people. As Brad said, this board has so much valuable information. Also, joining a SR group might be helpful; you might give this one a try:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-part-3-a.html
Old 02-22-2014, 11:46 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
as a sober contributor

Welcome to the club, Josh! Congratulations on your decision to get sober... it may be the most IMPORTANT decision of your life.

You have already made through the hardest step, admitting that you have a problem. Following through can be difficult but we have all been there, so feel free to lean on us when you need some support or help!

Old 02-22-2014, 12:35 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Yup I've decided to stop drinking many many times. Hundreds if not thousands of times. Those are just empty words, unless followed immediatly by a plan of action.
Exactly like saying I am sorry all the time, and not doing anything about it.
Actions speak louder then words my friend. We can talk till we are blue in the face, many people do that in the rooms of AA. talk talk talk, no action.
Old 02-22-2014, 12:45 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome Josh. This place has worked for me!
Old 02-22-2014, 01:03 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome Josh, you have started an extremely worthwhile journey.
Old 02-22-2014, 01:08 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Cool

Originally Posted by matt4x4 View Post
Yup I've decided to stop drinking many many times. Hundreds if not thousands of times. Those are just empty words, unless followed immediatly by a plan of action.
Exactly like saying I am sorry all the time, and not doing anything about it.
Actions speak louder then words my friend. We can talk till we are blue in the face, many people do that in the rooms of AA. talk talk talk, no action.
And some AA PEOPLE DO TAKE ACTION, BOTH IN THEIR SOBRIETY AND IN BECOMING BETTER INDIVIDUALS ..................
Old 02-22-2014, 01:12 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

This is the place to be.
Good luck , once the dust settles you'll be a new man, just keep on here, plan on no hiccoughs , but if stuff happens , get straight back on the wagon.
Your life will improve by a level you would not believe, not mentioning the extra cash, time and ability to drive whenever you want.
John.
Old 02-22-2014, 02:18 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thumbs up Good decision!

Congratulations on your decision to quit. Today is my second day and this was a long time coming, but also came abruptly due to issues in my relationship and also with my career aspirations.

I feel vulnerable in this as I had come to connect the dots of my problems with the help of a friend, but in the short journey it has been, I have learned and come to realizations in so many aspects of myself. I feel it is a good decision. It is worth it to have a better quality of life, to be realiable and responsible and trustworthy and loving to the person and people in my life and to myself.

I tip my hat off to you and share your joy with due respect.

Old 02-22-2014, 03:24 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Josh

D
Old 02-22-2014, 03:32 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi Josh - it's great to meet you.

I lost my marriage to alcohol many years ago. My husband had started drinking at 15 just like you - and was around your age when everything came to a head. He was not able to pull himself out of the hole he had dug. I'm so glad you are seeing what alcohol has done to your life - and that you've reached out for help. You can do this.
Old 02-23-2014, 08:29 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Thank you all for the positive messages. I appreciate the support.
Old 02-23-2014, 08:43 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Welcome to the forum Josh. This is beginning of a great journey for you. Just keep your head about yourself a few weeks in. That's when most of us let our guard down and slip, try to remind yourself of all the reasons you stopped as these temptations approach. Get a few months deep and most of those cravings will vanish. Hang in there and don't forget why you started this in the first place.