Notices

Restless Leg Syndrome

Old 02-22-2014, 01:39 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Restless Leg Syndrome

Has anyone else experienced this while detoxing? It usually only lasts a night or 2 (my symptoms never last more than a day and a half) and I think it may be anxiety related. I never experience it otherwise, but it drives my husband crazy!
I am not looking for advice otherwise. Just curious.
Old 02-22-2014, 06:26 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I have restless leg syndrome as well. For me, however, it is an ongoing thing ive had since childhood. Unfortunately alcohol makes it better for me, so it can be a nasty trigger! I know you said you weren't looking for advice, but try taking a calcium chew when it hits. That's an old family trick that often works for me good luck!!
Old 02-22-2014, 06:43 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by hollybear View Post
I have restless leg syndrome as well. For me, however, it is an ongoing thing ive had since childhood. Unfortunately alcohol makes it better for me, so it can be a nasty trigger! I know you said you weren't looking for advice, but try taking a calcium chew when it hits. That's an old family trick that often works for me good luck!!
Thanks for the tip! I can't imagine having to deal with that regularly, it is the weirdest, most annoying sensation! You have my sympathy.
Old 02-22-2014, 06:55 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

The movement of feet while sitting. Very common for people who are talking the talk.
Old 02-22-2014, 06:58 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by matt4x4 View Post
The movement of feet while sitting. Very common for people who are talking the talk.
I don't know what this means.
Old 02-22-2014, 07:21 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I have it also, but it has nothing to do with drinking. I read to put a bar of soap under the sheet near your feet. Don't know what it is supposed to do, but it seemed to help. I hope it goes away soon for you.
Old 02-22-2014, 07:24 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by huntingtontx View Post
I have it also, but it has nothing to do with drinking. I read to put a bar of soap under the sheet near your feet. Don't know what it is supposed to do, but it seemed to help. I hope it goes away soon for you.
lol, that is a very odd remedy. I've been sober for a while so I am not currently dealing with it, but I appreciate the strange bit of advice.
Old 02-22-2014, 09:07 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

My BF's RLS flared up for about a month after he stopped drinking. I'm not sure why. Wish I had some words of wisdom for ya!
Old 02-22-2014, 06:10 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Originally Posted by babycat View Post
I don't know what this means.
Neither do I. I think Matt has a very dry sense of humour but he is a goodun. I get RLS anyway sometimes because I have an arthritic condition and it drives me bloody bonkers. I also get it in mys stomach. I know that sounds a bit mad but it's like butterflies that really drive me nuts. My sister gets it as well. xxxx
Old 02-22-2014, 07:17 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

This can be alcohol related. Are you taking vitamins? This is easily treated by a doctor
Old 02-22-2014, 07:24 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I used to get this sometimes, but I haven't had it at all since I stopped drinking. Everyone is different though x
Old 02-22-2014, 09:22 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I had this often when I went one day/night without drinking in the past and on the first two nights of my last detox. A warm bath before bed made it better for me.
Old 02-22-2014, 09:29 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

I have had it all my life, A little tonic water has helped me. Naturally if you're allergic to quinine it's not a good solution
Old 02-23-2014, 05:17 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I suffer bouts of RLS periodically, especially at bedtime. It can raise heck with sleep. I find that a hot shower and gentle stretching will help. Drinking never helped with it though; it seems to be there sober or not.
Old 02-23-2014, 05:29 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
LDT

RLS was the worst for me in early sobriety. These days I occasionally get it when I've consumed to much sugar in one form or another ( and not just in sweets). Sugar is a huge trigger for me and RLS. I'd recommend eliminating it.
Old 02-23-2014, 07:03 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Tea Drinker

I get it while withdrawing...and can vouch for Dee' s tip that tonic water helps. Tastes kinda nasty but the quinine in it does help
Old 02-23-2014, 11:51 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I must try Dees tip as well. I have terrible restless legs and I find that massaging my legs with a eucalyptus or some other warm rubbing cream really helps- something that produces heat when you rub it in. We have brands such as deep heat or Vicks over here and I am not sure what they would be called where you live. A hot shower helps as well. Dehydration makes it much worse in my experience and when I smoked my restless legs were far worse. All the best.xxx
Old 02-24-2014, 12:43 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

Is this when your legs kind of give you the heebie jeebies?
Old 02-24-2014, 08:41 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I know it sounds whacky, but isnt everything we do abit whacky.
I suffer from RLS since my teens and the bar of soap trick really does work. It did for me anyway. I could even tell when the bar of soap had slipped to the end of the mattress.

have the Dr check iron levels next time youre in.

And Tonic Soda with quinine in it does help as well.
Old 02-24-2014, 03:19 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

There is such a thing as alcoholic neuropathy, but it can be treated with medication (Restasis, Neurontin, Lyrica, amytriptyline). Quinine may help (helps leg cramps too).