Notices

Don't know

Old 02-19-2014, 11:09 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Don't know

I have something important to talk about concerning my relationship with my dad. Only problem I'm not sure it is something I can talk about with my sponsor not sure she can help me don't know if it has to do with my recovery. I haven't decided whether I should share it with my therapist. My sponsor is there to help me with my alcoholism and spirituality she is not a trained therapist. Hard to decide what I should discuss with sponsor and therapist. I trust my sponsor and she has never judged me and never will. I don't know I will just pray about this.
Old 02-20-2014, 12:01 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Originally Posted by Anoronha View Post
I have something important to talk about concerning my relationship with my dad. Only problem I'm not sure it is something I can talk about with my sponsor not sure she can help me don't know if it has to do with my recovery. I haven't decided whether I should share it with my therapist. My sponsor is there to help me with my alcoholism and spirituality she is not a trained therapist. Hard to decide what I should discuss with sponsor and therapist. I trust my sponsor and she has never judged me and never will. I don't know I will just pray about this.
Perhaps you could mention it to her as a friend if you really feel you want to. It's a good idea to talk to your therapist though. I always feel so much better getting things off my chest. xxxx
Old 02-20-2014, 05:38 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I needed to remember the way the program works is if we share. Holding things in was my failing for years while I drank. Many times I was so pleasantly surprised with the results of sharing with my sponsor like looking at a situation in a little different way. I even got a lot of help when I shared with his wife who was a black belt member of Al Anon.

BE WELL
Old 02-20-2014, 06:47 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

So I called sponsor this morning and talked to her we are getting together next Monday to talk as friends I told her that I may need to tell my therapist about this. We will see what happens.
Old 02-20-2014, 06:52 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Grateful to be free

Is there a critical reason why you would not share this with your therapist?
Old 02-20-2014, 07:00 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Threshold View Post
Is there a critical reason why you would not share this with your therapist?
In the past I discussed my recovery with my therapist and sponsor at the same time and it made me super crazy and too confusing. so in therapy I am trying to keep my recovery separate from the goals we are working on. It is hard because my therapist is also in the program she has 11 years and goes to a lot of meetings. It was my fault I started discussing recovery with her and my psychiatrist thought it would be helpful to do that and it didn't help at all. Getting two different sets of advice.
Old 02-21-2014, 09:58 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Anoronha View Post
It has everything to do with your recovery. You shouldnt hold anything back from a sponsor, they are there to help you. You should share everything with your sponsor and therapist. When I start holding things back, and lie by omition then I am reverting back to my old ways which is not good at all.