Notices

Binger....over a week free

Old 02-18-2014, 07:34 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Red face Binger....over a week free

I am 8 days sober today and what I difference I feel. It's more than that...I have noticed a difference in how my husband and children respond to me and me to them.

I am a binger, but over the past while (don't even know how long), my binges have been longer and closer together and I took in more amounts of alcohol. I think my drinking would've become a daily occurrence had I not stopped. I went through withdrawal without telling a soul. I told my family I had the flu and they believed me - maybe because I'm a nurse...I was grateful that I didn't seize or shake too badly. Looking back, I would've felt bad to have scared my children.

I have noticed a lot more energy and I am proud of myself. I have been dealing with any anxious pangs by distracting myself with chores or by engaging in newly found hobbies. Most importantly by reading the posts on this forum. I am looking for the opportunity to openly discuss my issues with family, but am too fearful of that just now. I know that might be problematic.

I really think that even if you're a binge drinker, your sober days are not free from the affects of alcoholism or problem drinking. You have hangovers or mini-withdrawals. You probably think about the next time you will drink to help you cope with stress and anxiety or depression in your every day. You may be edgy, not as energetic, not as witty even though your BAL is zero.

My family and I have laughed more and smiled more even in the week that I haven't had a drink. I feel closer to them, more engaged, and they have returned the attention. I realize that drinking will not take away the challenges I face - it's just a temporary escape that eventually perpetuates and adds to my challenges. I hope that I can define and cope with what my life sometimes brings. Maybe I will have the strength to continue to bee free from the chains of alcoholism. For today I am grateful.
Old 02-18-2014, 07:58 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi, Matrac and welcome. I am a former binger also. I'm at 5.5 weeks sober. I felt really good at 1 week, and what was so amazing is that I continue to feel better and better. I couldn't agree more that as a binger, simply being sober doesn't mean you're not having to deal with the aftermath in between binges. I drank on weekends, so, Friday during the day was the best I would feel all week, so I thought that's what normal was. Little did I know that 5 days away from alcohol was just scratching the surface of what good feels like.

So glad you've gotten off the merry go round. Keep posting, you'll find lots of support here.
Old 02-18-2014, 10:37 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Congrats on 8 days xxxx
Old 02-18-2014, 02:13 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Good for you matrac- keep it going

D
Old 02-18-2014, 02:49 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I really think that even if you're a binge drinker, your sober days are not free from the affects of alcoholism or problem drinking. You have hangovers or mini-withdrawals.
You are correct about that. I was a binger (11.5 weeks ago) and around week 7 and 10 I got hit with the PAWS pretty bad. It was enough to talk the AV out of thinking moderation was a possibility. Great job on 8 days and keep it going!
Old 02-18-2014, 02:50 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

8 days is something to be proud of - happy for you!
Old 02-18-2014, 02:55 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Good news!!!!
Old 02-18-2014, 04:27 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Well done!
Old 02-18-2014, 06:10 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Great post, thank you for sharing. Glad to hear your in a good place : )
Old 02-19-2014, 03:53 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SillyString View Post
... I drank on weekends, so, Friday during the day was the best I would feel all week, so I thought that's what normal was. Little did I know that 5 days away from alcohol was just scratching the surface of what good feels like..
@SillyString - This is a really interesting observation, I hadn't thought about it like that before. It's so true... 5 days off booze and you think you feel amazing, but imagine a life without booze and how much more amazing you could feel, forever! Thanks for the inspiration SillyString!
Old 02-19-2014, 03:57 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi Matrac. Congratulations on the 8 days!

I wanted to share about this part of your post: My family and I have laughed more and smiled more even in the week that I haven't had a drink. I feel closer to them, more engaged, and they have returned the attention.

I have found that in 18 months I have been sober that has continued to be true...and I haven't woken up ashamed about how I engaged (or more often) how I failed to engage with my husband and my kids. I have felt that my continued sobriety has been healthy not only for me but for my family as well.

I am wishing you the same and wishing you continued motivation and success if your sobriety.