Notices

Recovery Books

Old 06-23-2004, 02:26 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
A new dawn, a new day...

Recovery Books

After expressing my humble opinion on Alan Carr's Easyway (Dangerous, Bollocks) on another thread, I thought that I would take DonS's idea and try and start a thread on recovery books.
First up and foremost for me is James Frey's A Million Little Pieces, a book that is for once as amazing as it's title.
This is not a self-help book, but an account of the author's time in a recovery clinic in the US. It is the most visceral, heart rendering account of addition and recovery that I have ever come across (and to be honest, I don't know if I could cope with more than this).
Frey was an alcoholic, polydrug user who arrived at the centre with half his teeth missing and weeks to live. An abrasive and angry character, yet brutally honest, he finds his way to confonting his 'fury'; the urge or voice that drives him to blank out all feeling through drink and drugs.
The way he describes the 'fury' was for me a road to Damascus moment, no-one for me in any meeting or in any book has managed to convey the 'voice' that drives my own compulsion (and I suspect other addicts) with such alarming accuarcy. It literally moved me to tears, for myself, it's been a long, long time since ANYTHING managed to do that.
This is a hard brutal book, that does not dress anything up, no romantacising the 'joys of addiction' or recovery and yet it is also full of love and light and hope and of the light of the human spirit, which we try to extinguish with our own particular drug.
Without hyperbole this is one of the most beautiful, well written books I have ever read and is essential reading for addicts and their families, and a fantastic read for anyone else. IMHOP
Old 06-23-2004, 06:09 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Yes, Yes, Yes! Last year the Author, James Frey appeared on the Today Show here in the U.S. I remember what an impression he made on me with his honesty and truthfulness! He was very down to earth and straightforward! I remember admiring him so for not sugarcoating his addictions and recovery process!
Old 06-23-2004, 12:43 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Extremity

Recovery being a very personal process to me means that what we find and where we find it probably isn't as important as if and when we find it.

They read in most A.A. meetings every night:

There are those, too, who suffer from grave emotional and mental disorders...
If you have read any of my personal posts, that relates to me "suffering emotional disorders of the grave"

So for me, a very important book in my recovery that probably has nothing to do for your recovery was a simple book by C.S. Lewis called "On Death and Dying" where an atheist cursing God for the loss of his wife to cancer questions the existence and the reasoning of God and himself to finally come to a peace with those two. A simple book of about 90-100 pages, something that can be easily read in an afternoon, took me five gut-wrenching and soul searching days to complete.

I also suggest the John Bradshaw, Og Mandino, Frances J. Roberts, Kahil Gibran, Stephen Mitchell, Ann Fletcher, Alan Watts, Ayn Rand, Stanton Peele, Christopher Hyatt books. These have proved to be a great help to me that I keep in my library.

You can can find what you need in the most unusual places if you just keep your mind open to the possibility that the answers are there, somewhere.
Old 06-23-2004, 12:56 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Dan

Originally Posted by Rotten
Without hyperbole this is one of the most beautiful, well written books I have ever read and is essential reading for addicts and their families, and a fantastic read for anyone else. IMHOP
Here's another book, written by alcoholics and addicts. All writers. Should be required reading for anyone wishing a glimpse into the addicts mind. It was given to me years ago by a concerned family member. Should have read it then
http://www.greystonebooks.com/gs_book_details.asp?b=703
Old 06-23-2004, 02:06 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Choosing Life

Hi Rotten

I've read Frey's book, and I agree, it is a good read. Must read it again actually, read it when it first came out.

The first book I read, which opened my eyes to my alcoholism is "The Effective Way To Stop Drinking" by Beauchamp Colclough. I read it about ten years ago - taken me this long to do something about it
Definitely worth a read if you can get it from the library.

JC
Old 06-23-2004, 02:39 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Mostly having been in denial I've never read any recovery books, but I think anyone would benefit from some of the general stuff I've collected over the years while doing my psychology learning. Here are two I re-read and can't recommend strongly enough.

The Selfish Gene - Richard Dawkins - ISBN: 0192177737 a must if you're at all interested in why we are like we are

Architecture of Cognition - John R. Anderson - ISBN: 080582233X - Brilliant theory of memory and learning.

And I don't recall reading the word 'alcohol' in either.

Deg.
Old 06-23-2004, 03:30 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi everybody...

thought I would pop in and share the two books I am reading now...

Cool, hip & sober
by- Bill Manville (a speaker and radio talk-show host)
I really am enjoying this book, it is full of practical information and helpful advice. I can relate....

DRINKING A LOVE STORY

-Caroline Knapp
I am relishing each page of this book, I was in love with my booze in much the same way she is in the book. It is honest journey of one addicts struggle with alcohol and coming to admit that she that she was truly addicted.
Might not appeal as much to the male population.... :sad6:
Old 06-23-2004, 10:36 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks for starting this thread, Rotten! There are some great recommendations here. I'm going to have to head over to my local bookstore tomorrow....
Don
Old 06-24-2004, 11:44 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks Rotten and everyone...
I will have to read "A Million Little Pieces".
Old 06-25-2004, 11:23 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
A new dawn, a new day...

Gald, to see that people are into this idea. As you say mogqua, ideas and inspiration do not have to come from a 'recovery book,' but anything that makes that lightbulb come on 'ching!,' ( I personaly rate Epiticus and Marcus Aurelius, but they are pretty strange in our modern world unless the time is right, but some times they don't half hit home...) is a recovery book to me.
I realise I'm pretty locquacious, but if people can give a little outline of the book (doesn't have to be a full blown review as mine ) I think it gives people a better idea of what you're going to get.
What I think I am trying to say is; you wouldn't recommend Agatha Christie to someone who detests murder mysteries...
Love, peace and unity to all.
Old 06-25-2004, 11:32 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Dan

Cool!
Addicted, notes from the belly of the Beast is a series of essays by canadian writers and artists, all suffering from addiction. Many have to do with alcohol. The link I posted takes you to the publishers website.
I will read it again.
No doubt.
Old 07-06-2004, 12:26 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

KelKel...

I just finished reading "Drinking...A Love Story". It has plenty of appeal to me. Her journey with alcohol mirrors mine in so many ways. Not just a book to appeall to women I think. I am going to look for the other one you mentioned also.

Mike
Old 07-06-2004, 12:48 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Cool Mike... I am glad you enjoyed the book...it really struck me as painfully honest.

(((Dan))) I must admit that when I first read the book title:
"Addicted, notes from the belly of the beast"
I thought of Pasole' and Tripe....no I am not wild about tripe... :speechles
I will try to find it since I'm a bit artsy fartsy myself... Love Ya!
Old 07-06-2004, 07:38 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I, too, have read 'Drinking; A Love Story' and it resonated within me for a long time. It still does. It's the first time I have read something that described how I felt with such accuracy. Sadly, the author, Caroline Knapp died not too long ago; within the last couple of years anyway.
I love 'The Prophet' by Kahlil Gibran. Not one that deals with addiction, but a beautiful book nonetheless that makes me strive to be a better person, to have more faith, and to love my fellow man. Hmm maybe I need to read it again...

I have another book that is supposed to be terrific (regarding spirituality)
but I'll be darned if I can remember the title. It just came out. I'll find out
and will post again - it is getting rave rave rave reviews.
God Bless!