Notices

Looking for Advice on how to Confront a Friend

Old 06-25-2004, 06:15 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
learning

Please listen

What can be really disturbing and frustrating on this board is when you seek advice and people bicker that their way is the best and only way. The indisputable fact is that the only definite thing in common that people with drinking problems have is that they drink too much. It is dangerous to assume otherwise. Even the most active AA members that I know will tell you that AA doesn’t work for everyone. So if the only advice for someone dealing with an “alcoholic� friend is Alanon, and it doesn’t work, well than this person may feel that there is no place else to go. Do you see the danger in that Mogqua? Anyway your advice to ask experts is a really good idea. But that tactic shouldn’t be limited to only asking AA experts. I can tell you from experience, that Don is an “expert� in an alternative to AA. His advice is not pulled out of thin air. I myself have benefited from what he has had to say many times. I have also benefited from what countless AA members here and in person have had to say. So my point is give your advice and share your experience. You don’t realize how many people are listening. But please, leave out the criticizing of other advice. It helps no one and the only reason people come here is for help.
Old 06-25-2004, 06:49 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Sorry Don....

Originally Posted by bartender129
Anyway your advice to ask experts is a really good idea. But that tactic shouldn’t be limited to only asking AA experts. I can tell you from experience, that Don is an “expert� in an alternative to AA.
Definition of an Expert=Ex is a has-been and spert is a drip under pressure. There aren't any experts here Bartender and thanks for not being critical in your criticism of past posters. I'm sure you don't mean to be critical and an "expert" either, do you Bartender?

Don, you're a great guy and I too enjoy your posts but I just couldn't pass up the "Expert" thingy. Hope you don't mind....but if you do....well... :andy:
Old 06-25-2004, 06:56 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
learning

Notice the "...." around expert music?
The experts here that I was refering to were the ones who have a designated forum to specifically ask them questions.
Old 06-25-2004, 07:40 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Music
Definition of an Expert=Ex is a has-been and spert is a drip under pressure. There aren't any experts here Bartender and thanks for not being critical in your criticism of past posters. I'm sure you don't mean to be critical and an "expert" either, do you Bartender?

Don, you're a great guy and I too enjoy your posts but I just couldn't pass up the "Expert" thingy. Hope you don't mind....but if you do....well... :andy:
Music--Expert: one from whom things drip rapidly under pressure!
LOL!
Don
Old 06-25-2004, 07:52 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by moni8305

I suppose what worries me the most is the person he has become when he drinks. He's a little aggressive and he blacks-out sometimes and can't remember anything he said or did the night before.

He says and does ridiculous things and I think that he drinks because he's angry ...

Originally Posted by Mogqua
Maybe some missed this part.
It seems as safety is a concern here.
Anything unmindful of that can be risky.

Don:
"Not seeing" what makes this approach dangerous or irresponsible is exactly what makes it so.
Other than that, I find no reasons to engage in your tautology, or sift through the verbose litany looking for "snips".
No, I wouldn't suggest having the conversation or presenting the information when the friend is drunk. That seemed pretty obvious to me. Generally, sharing concerns about drinking would be best when both parties are sober.

For those who don't have a dictionary at hand, 'tautology' is 'needless repetition of an idea using a different word or phrase'.
Don