Notices

Weakened immune system

Old 02-16-2014, 08:32 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Weakened immune system

Hey SR,

Having difficulties with my health. ie: Back to back flu's, colds, bronchitis, cold sores, itchy skin, eye infections, overly chapped lips(I drink a TON of water everyday), always fatigued...argh.etc.

Been to the doctors. I've gotten blood work done recently and everything checked out fine.

How is my diet? I eat good. Fruits, vegetables, multivitamins, fish oil pills, meats, lots of fluids. Throw in plenty of exercise also..

Has anyone experienced a weakened immune system after quitting drinking?
It's been 6 months now! no relief...what the hell is going on here!? frustrated.

Stress related? Could the stress of quitting drinking be causing my immune system fail? I am stressed.

anybody relate to this? Please help...
Old 02-16-2014, 08:45 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

Hi Maxx, I often feel like this towards the end of winter. I get one thing and it triggers others. For example I might have a heavy cold, which brings on cold sores, then my gums swell up a bit and my ears get sore. I'm no doctor but my theory is that our immune systems have faced a lot of challenges by the end of winter when we're cooped up with other people's germs; something gets through and that weakens it so other illnesses take advantage.
It's usually resolved itself by the end of spring and by summer time I'm really healthy.
Old 02-16-2014, 08:48 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Its a cold and its a broken hallelujah.

Experiencing the exact same thing. I think you might be on to something with the stress of quitting.

That, coupled with the fact that we likely abused our bodies to the breaking point.

I swear since I have quit, I have struggled with more health issues than I did while I was actively drinking.

Or perhaps it's just that now we are more aware of them ?
Old 02-16-2014, 09:23 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Alpha, has it jeopardized your sobriety at all? I'll tell you one thing, its not making my sobriety any easier.

Its hard for me to be optimistic when i'm constantly sick!
Old 02-16-2014, 09:49 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

If it makes anyone feel better, I haven't really been sick in years. I used to get sick 2-3 times a year, and it was always horrible. Colds lasted 7 days, and then lingered for longer. That hasn't happened in a long time, I don't know why. I don't drink anymore, I don't smoke weed anymore and I eat like they would have 100 years ago. Very minimal processed foods, meat, lots of fruits and vegetables...

I've read that stress or severe underlying pain can manifest itself as physical illness, Eckhart Tolle talks about that in one of his books I think.
Old 02-16-2014, 10:08 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Admiral View Post

I've read that stress or severe underlying pain can manifest itself as physical illness, Eckhart Tolle talks about that in one of his books I think.
Hey Admiral,

Yea, The stress thing is what's worrying me. Don't truly know how NOT to be stressed. Early recovery has taking allot out of me. Hardest thing i've done.

Stress might be killing me just like the drinking was..
Old 02-17-2014, 02:15 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Alcoholism Treatment Program, Alcoholism Addition Treatment
This book tells you a lot of vitamins to take and why. Some of them body builders take.
It helped me to get and stay sober.
Fred
Old 02-17-2014, 02:40 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Better when never is never

Originally Posted by MaxxPower View Post
Yea, The stress thing is what's worrying me. Don't truly know how NOT to be stressed. Early recovery has taking allot out of me. Hardest thing i've done.

Stress might be killing me just like the drinking was..
I was on a horrible project 2.5 years ago and the stress was definitely causing all sorts of mental and physical problems for me. One thing I found very helpful was Dale Carnegie's book How to Stop Worrying and Start Living. It is chockfull of excellent advice for reducing stress in your life. I also added in yoga as it has a more meditative aspect to it, but I think any exercise will work even just walking.
Old 02-17-2014, 02:49 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Autobrew Anon Member

I think lots of things are caused by stress. And I am sure some of my physical ailments aren't benefiting by it for sure.
I take vitamins like a previous poster suggested. Have you checked out exercise or stress reducing methods such as meditation, yoga? I also wonder if this is your body's way of detoxing. I sometimes feel when I am sick (even when I was drinking) that my body was trying to rid itself of bad stuff. Hang in there!!!