Notices

Would this bother you?

Old 02-16-2014, 08:39 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Would this bother you?

My Dad and I have this routine most Sunday afternoons, we go for a walk and then go to the local pub with the Sunday newspapers for a latte and a dessert of some sort.

Today my Dad got a phone call and he was ages, so I ordered the cheesecake of the day and a latte for myself. I forgot to ask what type of cheesecake it was.

I was reading the newspaper when the waiter arrived over with a piece of cheesecake, the exact colour and texture of Bailey's cheesecake. I was a bit upset thinking I would have to make a big deal...call the waiter over and send it back...him asking "is everything all right miss?"...and choosing another dessert. Too much effort.

I picked the plate up and sniffed it. It looked exactly like Bailey's cheesecake, but it smelt like coffee cheesecake?

I am a child of the 1980s. When I was a kid, my parents adored having dinner parties. My mom was incredibly sociable back then, (it breaks my heart to see the shell she has become). We had lemon cheesecake Every. Single. Time. they had a party. My brother and I were chatting about this recently. He won't eat lemon cheesecake to this day. Everyone has something right? My Dad won't eat boiled eggs after being given them every morning at boarding school. I won't eat bacon and cabbage after being force fed it by my Gran as a child.

Anyway I was looking at the plate. The cheesecake became such a big deal. I was thinking "will I taste it to make sure it's not Bailey's". It became a huge symbol in my mind...another reason why I am different to others...I don't drink alcohol and I can't eat ******* cheesecake. I was going to call the waiter over and say "I'm really sorry" but I decided to take one tiny bite...I have to say I never had coffee cheesecake ever. I've had "every kind of fruit known to man" cheesecake but never coffee cheesecake. So, all my worrying was for nothing. Man, I need to chill out...big time.

So, would you eat Bailey's cheesecake? I'm just curious...and if you ate it, would that be okay? I'm interested to hear people's views.
Old 02-16-2014, 08:52 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Realising my life

I've had rum'n'raisin cheesecake and it was absolutely divine! I didn't even think about the connection with alcohol until after I'd eaten it! Rum was never my drink of choice so it didn't trigger me in the slightest. I definitely don't count it as a lapse in sobriety as it was no doubt just rum flavouring. I would have it again. I wouldn't have liqueurs, though
Old 02-16-2014, 08:56 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

It would bother me that I let it become such a big deal, Tetra, that's my honest thought. I wouldn't purposely eat food with a lot of booze in it on purpose while maintaining sobriety, to answer the other part of your question.
Old 02-16-2014, 09:25 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Alcohol is alcohol, doesnt matter if its rubbing alcohol or the finest wine of the time. Once its in the system the human organs doesnt care and the body is off again on another drunk. Like drinking that near beer stuff, even though its 0.5%, just trying to fool the body and mind. I am not willing to gamble with my sobriety today, I used to gamble all the time and in the end got drunk. Mouthwash has a very high % of alcohol in it, do I go squishing that stuff around my mouth and spitting it out every morning, or do I buy the non-alcohol brand. Our minds will make up excuses all the time, make big deals out of little mole hills. I have been given the facts today, I know precisely. So do I gamble that the chef will burn off all the aclohol while he is cooking, do I gamble with that any gets burned off at all. Do I put myself in a slippery situation, where I have no game plan, no exit strategy.....never.

Its not uncommon for people not to eat certain foods because of what happened in the past.
Old 02-16-2014, 10:18 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

I would. I don't eat much ice cream anymore but if I did it would be hagenDaz rum raisin. It all depends on how you feel about it. If it bothers you then don't. There is nothing wrong with saying you don't like a certain flavor and not mentioning the alcohol.
Old 02-16-2014, 10:47 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

It wouldn't bother me at all.
Old 02-16-2014, 10:55 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Magsie

I don't want to be tempted. I remember years ago having a sherry trifle, I was drinking at the time so I liked anything what sounded boozy. It was more sherry than trifle and would be disappointed if I had it now but like silent run says it is just flavouring in some things.

I have even done on to zero alcohol Listerine after a man at work got breathalised on way to work and showed positive. He hadn't been drinking but had used Listerine. The policeman waited for twenty minutes and tried again whereas it was negative.

But that's just me, I can't afford the demon drink to sneak up on me, I fear any alcohol passed my lips in any form would start me on the slippery abyss I worked so hard to crawl out of.
Old 02-16-2014, 11:01 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

As long as all the alcohol has been cooked off it is just adding flavour. I can't make my famous beef short ribs without red wine, I just have to make sure I dump the whole bottle into the pot
Old 02-16-2014, 11:34 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi Tetra, I was always wondering about the communion wine at Church. Our church doesn't offer grape juice, all cups are filled with wine. All of them. I've never seen anyone turn it down.
BTW...I can't stand Tuna noodle casserole! My mom served us that for dinner to us kids every week. Yuck, I can't eat it now, but my kids love it. And the circle goes around and around. TF
Old 02-16-2014, 12:19 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I would eat it without hesitation that one time. I don't search out food that may have alcohol in it but in that situation I would just eat it. It's not like it would have some huge amount in it. For special occasions I will still cook something that requires wine.

I found out a while back at least for me, the biggest obstacle was my mental desire to enjoy a beer. Once I got past that I was in the clear. Ingesting a small amount that has been mixed into food does not trigger me. I do however suggest that this is entirely subjective to the individual. If you think it will bother you than steer clear.
Old 02-16-2014, 12:34 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sorensen View Post
As long as all the alcohol has been cooked off it is just adding flavour. I can't make my famous beef short ribs without red wine, I just have to make sure I dump the whole bottle into the pot
I have seen much better alcohol burn off charts that compare quantities of alcohol, but can't find them on the spur of the moment. Not as much burns off as people think, especially when flambéing and baking. Deserts especially are often baked prior to alcohol being added, and cheesecakes sometimes aren't baked at all. So it really depends. If you're cooking your all-day short ribs, you're probably good . I know a lot of people have that one recipe that just doesn't taste the same without it!
Alcohol Burn-off Chart

Originally Posted by foolsgold66 View Post
It would bother me that I let it become such a big deal, Tetra, that's my honest thought.
I agree; I think the fact that it bothers you is all that matters.

I have seen some people fall apart because they ate a sugar cookie that had a miniscule amount of vanilla extract in it, and then I have seen people eat rum-soaked cake and it doesn't phase them a bit. I think this is really a personal preference. I personally never actually liked the taste of alcohol; I drank despite that solely to get drunk. So I don't like things that taste like alcohol either. I know I personally can taste even very small bits of alcohol that hasn't burned off, but it doesn't bother me (other than the fact that I don't like the taste). I guess I would need to actually get a buzz to have a craving for it. But everyone is different. Don't let it bug you that you had this reaction.
Old 02-16-2014, 12:38 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I don't know how to bake very well but if I did I would not be making rum balls lol

Wine is essential to classic French and Italian cooking, I will have to recognize my AV when I am creating my favourite dish.

That being said, I probably won't make short ribs or risotto for a while as they both require red and white wine respectively.

Nothing wrong with a juicy steak or prime rib with garlic mashed in the meantime
Old 02-16-2014, 12:40 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

fruit pudding with brandy sauce was to die for at Christmas time, I like chocolate cake though....
Old 02-16-2014, 12:51 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sorensen View Post
Me too. I'm sure there are suitable substitutes to wine, pomegranate juice sounds interesting, but I'm not willing to compromise, especially when braising or in my seafood dishes. Key for me is to use up or dump out the excess alcohol.
Old 02-16-2014, 12:56 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Similar experience for me traveling for work last week. At a client dinner I was about to order the clams in a linguine dish. As the table was ordering the person next to me ordered the clams in white wine sauce and I did a double take and was like whoa. I never noticed the white wine component when i read the menu and if I did I read it i never thought twice. Only 65 days sober so I opted to pass. It was the first time this happened.

Agree that it is individual and likely not a big deal. At this point I'm thinking purity is best but this could change.
Old 02-16-2014, 01:50 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

it wouldn't bother me. I still sometimes cook with low alcohol wine - there is some 4% ABV wine in Morrison's that good for favouring sauces or casseroles with dash or two.

but I wouldnt go near zero alcohol beer or wine, for fear of it being a trigger...
Old 02-16-2014, 01:51 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

Alcohol Burn-off Chart

Here is a chart.

I don't eat food with alcohol in it and I definately don't cook with it. I wouldn't be eating the cheesecake, but that is just me. In my mind alcohol is alcohol whether it is cooked or not.

Not criticizing anyone just doesn't work for me. You will find varying opinions on this.
Old 02-16-2014, 01:58 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

No unless you can get wasted on it, it doesn't worry me, though I have found myself avoiding all sorts food out of some other sense of sober solidarity but not because of the alcohol content.
John.