Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

Still trying to quit, recent 4 day relapse bender

Notices

Still trying to quit, recent 4 day relapse bender

Old 02-17-2014, 02:41 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by Turninganewleaf View Post
I always associated rehab with street type folks or low bottom alcoholics and drug addicts.
That's a pretty poor assumption Turning. Rehab is for anyone that needs it.
Old 02-17-2014, 03:01 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

I would avoid the rehab rout. You could be judged and even fired for being an alcoholic. At a 100,000 a year salary that would be a huge loss. I always associated rehab with street type folks or low bottom alcoholics and drug addicts. Which clearly, you are not.
This is neither helpful nor true. Yes, you may be judged for being an alcoholic. But you may also be judged for being too young, too old, too fat, too gay, too bossy, too female, etc. You cannot get fired for being an alcoholic unless drinking is impairing and impacting your job. Someone who is sober clearly isn't letting alcohol impact their work. If a medical doctor signs off on rehab (in America), treatment is considered medical. It is covered under FMLA, which allows a person to take up to twelve weeks of medical leave for themselves or to care for a family member without losing their position. Companies are required by law to hold your job for you. It is also covered by disability insurance if you have it. And human resources cannot share details of your medical condition unless you allow them to. An employer would much rather you get sober than deal with an employee who is spiraling in active alcoholism. Trying to scare someone out of getting help isn't helpful.
Old 02-17-2014, 03:20 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  
Poison Eater Extraordinaire

I would avoid the rehab rout. You could be judged and even fired for being an alcoholic. At a 100,000 a year salary that would be a huge loss. I always associated rehab with street type folks or low bottom alcoholics and drug addicts. Which clearly, you are not.
You probably shouldn't be giving advice on how to get sober if you, yourself, are not getting sober.

The last rehab I went to cost $25k for 30 days. No street type folks there, sorry. Rehab is usually for people who have a job, and hence insurance...and/or the ability to pay out of pocket.
Old 02-17-2014, 04:02 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

I believe if I had a job that paid 100,000 a year that would be the most important thing to keep. Yes, you can be fired for being an alcoholic in certain jobs. Would you want a drunken pilot or drunk doctor operating on you?? I've been to many rehabs. Most of them were people who had lost everything. The Salvation Army rehab I attended almost 75% were homeless.
Old 02-17-2014, 04:21 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  
Poison Eater Extraordinaire

I believe if I had a job that paid 100,000 a year that would be the most important thing to keep. Yes, you can be fired for being an alcoholic in certain jobs. Would you want a drunken pilot or drunk doctor operating on you?? I've been to many rehabs. Most of them were people who had lost everything. The Salvation Army rehab I attended almost 75% were homeless.

Well just to reiterate for anyone else reading this: there are different types of rehabs. I have been to several. None had homeless people (not that I would have cared much at the time). I was with mainly middle class people, whom I identified with. I was at one rehab, where everyone was extremely successful (it was a little intimidating actually - as I am a boring housewife with no career). I believe the Salvation Army rehab (as mentioned above) is for homeless people, or for those court ordered. Nothing wrong with either (being homeless or court ordered) - but the point is there are different types of rehabs. Most are middle of the road, and house 'regular' people with jobs and insurance.
Old 02-17-2014, 04:26 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MaxxPower View Post
No withdrawl symptoms yet?

Hope your different, but when I was still in the hangover phase(mid 20's), I said I was going quit all the time cause I felt like crap, never committed.

Wasn't till I started getting the horrific withdrawls/health problems that I had to rethink everything in life.

Was drinking exactly like the way you are now. Thought I was still physically healthy. I looked it.

I'm 32..everything fell apart FAST(health wise) in 5 months..
That's scary

Im 26 and i rarely get a hangover... but I did this morning. It was TERRIBLE

Btw Sorenson, I was sober for 4 days (4 amazing days!) and I relapsed and I've been drinking all week. Lets get sober together. Im starting tomorrow. Well, today technically.
Old 02-17-2014, 04:27 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Would you want a drunken pilot or drunk doctor operating on you?? .
If you are an alcoholic actively drinking, the odds are you won't be able to keep your job long. That's why people get help and get sober. It is illegal to fire someone for being an alcoholic. If they are drinking on the job, that's a whole 'nother story. I have no problem trusting my life to a sober pilot or doctor who is an alcoholic. I would much rather my doctor go to rehab than practice while drinking, covering it up and justifying it.
Old 02-17-2014, 04:35 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  

My father is the president of the company I work for, I don't report directly to him but maybe he will understand if I need to take time off.

That being said I have quit before for extended periods of time however it seems I have a subconscious part of me that doesn't want to quit, and a very strong AV.

At this point I am considering all options, I can see that if I continue I will end up a place far worse then I am right now.
Old 02-17-2014, 04:39 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sorensen View Post
Yes, I have a massive ego, I will work on it, along with some of the suggestions.
Btw this totally made me laugh.
Old 02-17-2014, 04:40 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Jade1224 View Post
That's scary

Im 26 and i rarely get a hangover... but I did this morning. It was TERRIBLE

Btw Sorenson, I was sober for 4 days (4 amazing days!) and I relapsed and I've been drinking all week. Lets get sober together. Im starting tomorrow. Well, today technically.
Sounds good to me. Four days without booze I feel fantastic, in fact good enough that I want to drink and do it all over again.

My hangovers last all day and sometimes until it's bed time and I have a hard time sleeping because I am still hung It's no fun
Old 02-17-2014, 04:43 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Jade1224 View Post
Btw this totally made me laugh.
I'm 27 and I tell people in their 40's and 50's what to do, it can get to your head.
Old 02-17-2014, 04:44 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Sounds good to me. Four days without booze I feel fantastic, in fact good enough that I want to drink and do it all over again.

My hangovers last all day and sometimes until it's bed time and I have a hard time sleeping because I am still hung It's no fun
Thats how I felt!!!! I convinced myself that i didn't have a problem because I get into these drinking phases and then I become a normal person again. I am not an alcoholic I am a problem drinker but its still a problem.

I am going to friend you. We can be sober buddies. Ill message you if I want to drink and you can tell me how stupid I am. It will be great.
Old 02-17-2014, 04:47 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  

I'm 27 and I tell people in their 40's and 50's what to do, it can get to your head.
Well I can help you get your ego in check too. Im pretty sure I would rule at that. Just a suggestion...
Old 02-17-2014, 04:53 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  

I was a night foreman at a grocery store, and I had to tell people who were twice my age what to do. I admit the job wasn't like yours, with all the money involved, but sometimes it sent me on a power trip, and sometimes, it made me feel intimidated, which never helped me with my problems.
Old 02-19-2014, 09:48 AM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Was thinking about you Sorensen; how are you doing?
Old 04-24-2014, 11:26 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  

If your Father is the President ? Then why should it matter of you go to rehab?

I would think he would be happy.
Old 04-25-2014, 02:32 AM
  # 57 (permalink)  

You can start your life in a normal way, just try to ignore alcohol. It is not good for you, it completely spoils your life so it's better you leave it.
Old 04-25-2014, 03:26 AM
  # 58 (permalink)  

"Beating alcoholism is not about achieving hope, it is about avoiding misery and pain"......my advice is next time you get a few sober days going think about the nasty hangover your have afterwards. Not worth it my friend. Never will be.