Notices

The Full Moon Effect

Old 02-11-2014, 03:12 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The Full Moon Effect

I find when ever I am squirelly, and I look up to the sky its usually a full moon. I look back on my past, most of the time I went to prison, there was a full moon. I observe situations happening around me, which seem odd and I look up and theres a full moon. I talk to bus drivers and they same the same thing, I talk to guards in prison and they say the same thing. That they see strange happenings as well when there is a full moon. From a lay-mans presprective I would say that the brain probably expands or contracts like the oceans tide, and we act and feel differently. This explains why I felt different and drank but not on every full moon occasion.

However I must say, that the strangeness of the full moon effect also happens on slivers of a moon. Now I do not know what the phases are called, new, old, dark, whatever. But slivers of a full moon.
Old 02-11-2014, 03:25 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

It's no coincidence the word lunatic derives from Luna, The Moon.
It's a very old observation

D
Old 02-11-2014, 03:35 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Poison Eater Extraordinaire

My cousin used to work in an ER - she's the most logical person I know...she said without a doubt, the craziest days in the ER were on full moons...she said it has to do with the gravitational pull on the brain. I believe it.
Old 02-11-2014, 05:26 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Grateful to be free

I have trouble sleeping when there is as full moon...and lack of sleep leads to every kind of self pity, bad decision making, and too much time to fill. I KNOW it affects me big time
Old 02-11-2014, 05:33 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

The word "lunatic" comes from the word "Luna" which is Latin for "Moon"....since the 1700's....just a little trivia
Old 02-11-2014, 09:34 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Strange things happened during full moon in my wildest drinking days.
I would go out, consume alcohol with a voracious appetite, drink Stroh or Tequila and then start howling and acting like some beast, and then wake up in some strange place with my money gone as well as bits of my clothing with complete loss of any recollection of what had happened and how I'd got there.
Scary.
Old 02-12-2014, 04:44 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

crazy drunks drunks are often said to be "howling at the moon"
Old 02-12-2014, 10:38 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I have lost one shoe many times. I see one shoe on the road, reminds me of my drinking days. I see bums on the street, reminds me of my drinking days. Run through a checkstop, fist holes in drywall, delapidated homes, alcohol cases on the ground, puke piles on the sidewalk, pink police tickets or court summons on the ground, penitentiaries, and most of all crosses on the side of the highway or road.
Thank god I am a free man today, there is a reason to live.
Old 02-12-2014, 09:40 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I've always wondered about the gravitational pull of the moon. After a quick web search, (I think this is correct), a Perigee phase is when the moon is closest to Earth. An Apogee phase is when the moon is farthest from our home planet. The next Perigee is Feb 27. 10-Aug'14, 17:44 UTC, is the most significant Perigee with the moon only 356,896 kilometers from Earth. It's also a full moon. I hope to be camping on that night.

Oh man, I'm going to be up all night reading about the moon. These are the kind of things I do since quitting alcohol.
Old 02-12-2014, 09:59 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

I believe that the sun (space weather) also affects behavior. People become tense and irritable when there are magnetic disturbances. You can keep track of what's happening on the sun at this site:

NOAA / NWS Space Weather Prediction Center
Old 02-12-2014, 10:04 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Magsie

I used to be a werewolf and howl at the moon, but I've grown out of it noooooooooowwwww, lol
Old 02-13-2014, 12:02 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by matt4x4 View Post
I find when ever I am squirelly.
Old 02-13-2014, 12:03 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

D
Old 02-13-2014, 06:45 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by freethinking View Post
My cousin used to work in an ER - she's the most logical person I know...she said without a doubt, the craziest days in the ER were on full moons...she said it has to do with the gravitational pull on the brain. I believe it.
My gf is an EMT (works in an ambulance) and would agree with that 100%. Very strange.

Then again, I think it's silly to attribute things or make excuses "because it's a full moon". There are all kinds of external forces of nature that make us feel strange. Like the calm before a lightning storm, when your hair stands up. Or those hot, still summer days where you can't breathe. Or those days in late autumn when the cold front comes down from the arctic and you can literally feel the temperature dropping degree-by-degree if you stand outside.

It's just another phenomenon that makes nature and living on this planet pretty cool!
Old 02-13-2014, 09:39 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

The brain is a very powerful tool. I watched a cool show on TV awhile ago, and it showed how the brain makes stuff up, colors, movement, height. Interesting stuff. So when the brain contracts and expands, its messing with a very delicate organ.
Old 02-13-2014, 09:44 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

From Tony Phillips at NASA: "Solar activity is at high levels as five M-class solar flares and multiple coronal mass ejections were observed over the past 24 hours."

From By Mark Lerner for Astrology . com: "Here's another 24-hour time-span, like yesterday, when you should be preparing for the inspirational wave about to arrive on our planet tomorrow at 3:54PM PST when the Full Moon manifests its potency. With the Moon in Leo now, nearing its monthly polarity with the Sun in Aquarius, anyone somewhat flaky and confused can become more disoriented while those striving toward being true agents of world goodwill have a great opportunity to shine on their fellow neighbors, national citizens and global dwellers..."