Notices

deal with my therapist

Old 02-11-2014, 12:34 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

deal with my therapist

I saw my therapist today and made a deal with her that if I take in drink in the next few months, I am to call her the next day and she takes me to treatment. Honestly, it seems really extreme and scary to me but maybe that is what I need to really follow through with this. I told her was willing to try anything so I guess I have to follow through- I'm feeling slightly overwhelmed and terrified at the moment though.
Old 02-11-2014, 12:50 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

How about you call before hand and don't drink and you guys can celebrate with a job well done?
Old 02-11-2014, 01:03 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I'd agree with Jdooner. Why not work on a program/plan that you can follow that prevents you from drinking in the first place? Maybe AA meetings, AVRT, CBT, etc....
Old 02-11-2014, 01:05 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I am doing both....going to meetings daily, have a sponsor, etc.
Old 02-11-2014, 01:07 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I'd try focusing on what you can do today, whether it's a meeting, working steps, talking to your sponsor, etc... If you do all those things your "bet" with your therapist will be a cinch to win.
Old 02-11-2014, 01:33 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Maybe....if things are really bad...going to treatment anyways could be the answer....it saved my life...
Old 02-11-2014, 06:36 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
EndGame

It's not something I'd recommend without a great deal of consideration and without consulting with family members and other professionals. Still, I can't imagine a set of circumstances that would lead me to offer such an arrangement. I don't know your back story, but I also can't imagine that your therapist would enter into such a contract with you unless your drinking has placed you and/or others at great risk, imminent danger and/or serious damage that has already occurred.
Old 02-12-2014, 01:48 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Interesting approach, what sort of a therapist are you seeing?
Old 02-12-2014, 04:07 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

She is a very results driven, no ********, kind of therapist- and honestly, I really appreciate that. My drinking is not extreme (I have no consequences from it aside from feeling miserable). And I guess I should clarify that I did not agree to inpatient by any means- but did agree to some kind of outpatient treatment if I can't stop with AA and therapy alone. Honestly, if not for that agreement, I would have been drinking last night so I am starting to feel like maybe it is a really good thing to help motivate me right now. I trust her deeply and she knows me very well, so I am hopeful this will be just what I need.
Old 02-12-2014, 04:16 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Great, if it's working, keep doing it
Old 02-12-2014, 08:22 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I went to 6 week inpatient. I really, really needed it and it was a great healing experience. There wasn't anything scary at all about it.
Old 02-12-2014, 11:46 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

There are different types of rehabs. Some of them do take your phone way and don't let you have contact with the outside world for the first part of your stay. Others are more flexible and people can come and go as they please. It really comes down to what kind of rehab you CHOOSE to enter. You're not going to jail or a psych ward. You're agreeing to adhere to the rules of the place you choose to enter and some have easier rules than others.

There's a lot to be said for rest, regular meals and a supportive atmosphere.
Old 02-13-2014, 08:24 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

sounds like a great deal to me.

Just dont drink and you have nothing to worry about at all