Notices

Will I get my energy/motivation back?

Old 02-10-2014, 08:36 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Will I get my energy/motivation back?

I've been drinking for fifteen years(I am 30). In the beginning, I could drink "socially" and I was still able to focus on my passions and hobbies. For the last few years, i have been drinking everyday when i get home from work. I no longer have the energy to work very hard on my music(what i use to love). I tell myself I will, but I end up drinking and tired. I can't get motivated.

Would you say the alcohol has a lot to do with my lack of motivation/energy?

Will i be able to gain these back once I am clean for a while?

I am on day 2 of not drinking, but i have been smoking pot to help myself relax.
Old 02-10-2014, 08:42 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

What do you think? Why are you quitting drinking?
Old 02-10-2014, 08:44 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Getting sober certainly helped me feel better over time, but it takes a lot longer than 2 days. The pot probably isn't helping either.
Old 02-11-2014, 10:55 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Very hard to say - we alcoholics/addicts often have anxiety/depression issues underlying the addiction which can drain us of the desire to do the things we used to enjoy. On top of that both pot and alcohol are depressants, so a lack of energy if you're using is to be expected even if you're not depressed.

I don't personally know many friends (who I've met in AA) who have sincerely worked a program of recovery (not just abstinence) who don't feel much, much better not only physically, but spiritually and mentally as well. If you think you have a problem and are interested in advice, seek out a drug and alcohol counselor or try attending an AA meeting and see if sobriety is something you think might help you out.