Notices

Please help, mother in need.

Old 02-09-2014, 11:14 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Please help, mother in need.

I can't believe I would ever find myself here. Not looking down on anybody, I just, well. Nevermind.

My 45 year old mom has a problem, and at this point it is very serious. She has been drinking seriously, for I would say oh about 5 years at this point. And she wants to quit now. She has been abstaining from boozing for about 1 day now, and it is pure hell for her.

I am scared for her, because she can't even hold food down! Every time she eats something she throws up! On top of that she has the shakes, she gets hot and cold randomly, she gets woozy all the time, and she has some anxiety.

Is not being able to hold food down a sign that she needs to be in a hospital?

Please understand that she is in a tight spot right now, and still has to be able to go to work and lead a normal life through her withdrawal. And going into an inpatient detox is not an option right now.

Please help .
Old 02-09-2014, 11:20 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I would seek medical help.
Old 02-09-2014, 11:20 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hey englewood - welcome.
I'm sorry you're in this caregiver type situation.

I dunno how she can go to work if she can't hold down food etc, but in any case that's not something you should ignore.

I think for your peace of mind and hers, she should get herself checked out by a Dr.

Noones going to force her into detox or rehab if she really doesn't want to go, but she really should get herself checked over.

D
Old 02-09-2014, 11:29 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Hey englewood - welcome.
I'm sorry you're in this caregiver type situation.

I dunno how she can go to work if she can't hold down food etc, but in any case that's not something you should ignore.

I think for your peace of mind and hers, she should get herself checked out by a Dr.

Noones going to force her into detox or rehab if she really doesn't want to go, but she really should get herself checked over.

D
Do you know how much it will cost for a check up like this? We don't have insurance. Btw thanks for such a fast reply, you guys are awesome.
Old 02-09-2014, 11:35 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I don't live in the USA - I'm assuming you do - so I'm afraid I have no idea.

There are a lot of free or low cost clinics around in the US - if there's one in your local area you might get some medical advice there, but as you'd imagine there may be a wait?

http://www.needymeds.org/free_clinics.taf
The 10377 clinics in this database are free, low cost, low cost with a sliding scale based on income, or offer some type of financial assistance.
2-1-1 Call Center Search

2-1-1 provides free and confidential information and referral. Call 2-1-1 for help with food, housing, employment, health care, counseling and more. Learn more about your local 2-1-1 by looking it up here.
Old 02-09-2014, 11:49 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Healthcare.gov
Old 02-09-2014, 11:55 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
LDT

In the U.S. most E.Rs Cannot turn you away .... Take your mother to the emergency room . Explain your situation . Tell them you are afraid for her life ....because withdrawal can be life threatening . I hope you will do this soon . They will help you . You are a good and caring daughter.
Old 02-10-2014, 09:26 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Grateful to be free

I am NOT poking fun, because I do and have done this but...

My mother has a life threatening condition, but she can't afford treatment...what should I do. She has to work, so she can't do treatment,

Well, she can't work if she's dead either.

Again, I have said and done this very thing, so I am not making light of it...but what the F kind of twisted logic we use right...

I mean, well, if I die it's ok, because I'll be dead and I won't NEED a job...but if I live, I need that job, so it's worth taking the chance of dying to hold onto it. Also, can't afford to be in debt to the hospital because I live so close to the edge right now...so, I'll just close my eyes, cross my fingers and hope I don't die.

I totally understand living this reality. Been there, done that, ended up in the ER anyway. When the cops kick down your door and they stick you in an ambulance....

Funerals cost a lot too. Take her to the ER, if she needs rehab, get her into a program (paid for or free..Salvation army etc) because this is the only life we get. the ONLY life we get. People are in debt for way stupider things than saving their own life, and they can't throw you in jail even if it takes you a really long time to pay the hospital bill.

Take care of your mom. Take care of your mom. Take care of your mom, because if you don't and she dies, you'll wish you did.

Big Huge from the bottom of my heart hugs
Old 02-10-2014, 11:22 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

yes, please go to the Dr or Emergency.
If you need your mom alive do not take withdrawl lightly.
Old 02-10-2014, 04:54 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

She needs medical detox. Please take her. Don't worry about the money right now. Please.
Old 02-11-2014, 09:38 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

The ER will see her - she has to be completely truthful about her situation with the doctors for them to fully help her at this point. Then AA is Free when a healthy detox is underway. Meetings are usually held at times people can make a meeting at lunch or at night. Right now though - the ER should be the first stop. Praying for you and your mother.
Old 02-11-2014, 09:40 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I hope you took her to the ER. It would of been the best option.