Notices

Relapse

Old 02-09-2014, 06:45 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Relapse

I've struggled with alcohol for several years. Last October I decided to go into treatment after realizing how powerless I am over it. I received my 60 day coin - then took that first drink again shortly after. After 60+ days of drinking, I want to quit but am struggling. I go to meetings a few days a week - but can't seem to quit. Looking for the right place on these forums to discuss other's struggles so I can learn what works to get back on track. My marriage and relationship with my daughter is at stake. Thanks.
Old 02-09-2014, 06:47 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

You've done it before and I am sure you can do it again xxx
Old 02-09-2014, 07:00 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Poison Eater Extraordinaire

I started going back to meetings about a month ago, yet I only have 2 weeks sober. I think you should keep doing what you are doing (go to meetings), share about what you are going through, and if you believe in it - pray for help on the matter.

It was after I finally shared what I was going through at a meeting (how I kept relapsing, and was scared I would never get back on track and that the obsession would never lift) did I start to "get it" again. I heard what I needed to hear on the topic, and one day it just sort of dawned on me that I was not thinking of drinking all day long...the obsession left.
Old 02-09-2014, 07:39 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

you go to meetings, which is good, but goin to meetings and not drinking don't treat alcoholism.theres action.
have you done anything else other than go to meetings? get a sponsor? read the big book? put the suggestions in it to work?
Old 02-09-2014, 07:51 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LivingAgain2 View Post

Looking for the right place on these forums to discuss other's struggles so I can learn what works to get back on track.
welcome
feel free to post on
many here will wish to help you

Mountainman
Old 02-09-2014, 09:03 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Looking for the right place on these forums to discuss other's struggles so I can learn what works to get back on track.
We are both from the class of September 2010, meaning we both joined the same month. You have 17 posts. I have over 4000. My point? SR has worked to keep me sober, because I use it. I started by listening to those who had sobriety. And now I try to pass on what worked, or didn't work, for me

It can work for you, too. But only if you avail yourself to it. Read and post.

Good luck.
Old 02-09-2014, 09:18 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

People are here to help you but you have to want to help yourself. Don't let yourself hit rock bottom before you realize its time. You have a daughter and a marriage that is counting on you. Good luck!
Old 02-09-2014, 01:16 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone - this honest advice helps a lot.
Old 02-09-2014, 01:30 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
p***enger

Livingagain2, what are you doing besides going to meetings? Do you share there? Are you getting to know people who support you in getting sober? Are you making calls? How much other support (including SR) are you using?

For me, staying sober requires full-on attention every single day. As they say in the rooms, put as much time into staying sober as you put into drinking.
Old 02-09-2014, 01:30 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Realising my life

We are all here to support you, LivingAgain Read and post here as often as you can - doing that is really helping me xx
Old 02-09-2014, 04:12 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

What helped me most after my relapse was telling my aa group what happened, once I was open and h est people went out of their way to help me. You can do it never stop trying. Even if you have 99 relapses keep going.
Old 02-09-2014, 04:42 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

some great suggestions here Livingagain

I really believe we get out of our recovery what we put into it...think of things you can add and follow them through...

it all starts with a day one

D
Old 02-10-2014, 04:09 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I've done a hard reality check and realized that rather than helping myself, I've been making up excuses for myself. When I read these posts I see the little effort I was actually putting info getting sober again. I have to help myself - and I'm starting today. Thank you for listening and for all the good advice.
Old 02-10-2014, 04:36 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

good! I suggest you do whatever you can to get the booze out of reach also...none in the house, don't drive by liquor stores, (take another route) Just stay away from the stuff as much as you can. Keep a phone number of someone you can call in case you get tempted to buy some. Gotta use your support system and I'm sure some of those at the meeting would love to help you. One day at a time. Don't drink no matter what! PRAY! (((hugs)))
Old 02-10-2014, 07:15 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

what I do or don't do today

When I read these posts I see the little effort I was actually putting info getting sober again.
yes - it usually takes much effort
and a good solid plan to get and stay sober

most of my days were spent thinking of and drinking
that's a lot of time to fill with good things

it's all about what I do or don't do today

Mountainman
Old 02-10-2014, 09:08 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I've struggled with alcohol for several years. Last October I decided to go into treatment after realizing how powerless I am over it. I received my 60 day coin - then took that first drink again shortly after. After 60+ days of drinking, I want to quit but am struggling. I go to meetings a few days a week - but can't seem to quit. Looking for the right place on these forums to discuss other's struggles so I can learn what works to get back on track. My marriage and relationship with my daughter is at stake. Thanks.
It sounds like you attend aa. If that's the case, meetings are not the full solution. Find someone to take you through the twelve steps. That usually solves the relapse problem foe people.