Notices

New here help

Old 02-07-2014, 12:53 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New here help

Help with the forum via I phone app,

Help with finding meetings

Help with making me change

This has been a long time coming, I may be too late, but my marriage and kids depend on it.

I'm nearly 40 years old but I feel like a teenager when it comes to controlling my behavior
Old 02-07-2014, 01:01 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Poison Eater Extraordinaire

If you google "Lousiana AA" you will find a link that will take you where you need to look to find meetings in your area.
Old 02-07-2014, 02:04 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
~sb

https://sites.google.com/site/aadistrict12/

Alcoholics Anonymous Meeting guide! Find a AA Meetings anywhere in the USA
Old 02-07-2014, 03:10 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR.
It's never too late. They say the best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago. The next best time is today.
I don't think anyone ever woke up and exclaimed."Man I'm glad I'm hungover this morning" But we forget so quickly. The problem is our remberer's are broken. But our forgeters work very well.

Fred
Old 02-07-2014, 04:04 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Sober since March 21, 2013

Welcome Barbasol.

What questions do you have about the SR iPhone app?

I got it off of iTunes for 99 cents and keep SoberRecovery with me all day. I've only posted a few times from my phone, but everything seems to work OK.

As for feeling like a teenager at 40, I realized a long time ago that growing up is only an illusion.

I recently turned 60. I see people much older and much younger than me making bad decisions every day.

I decided if I had not grown up by now I did not have to. But I can control my decisions, and not drinking is one of the best choices I have made.

Good Luck with your sobriety.
Old 02-07-2014, 04:06 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome Barbasol. It's so good to have you join us. I think you'll find the encouragement you're looking for.

I was older than you when I finally realized it was destroying me. It's never too late to get free of it and have a new life. You can do it.
Old 02-07-2014, 04:08 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Welcome xx
Old 02-07-2014, 07:17 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I quit drinking right before my 38th birthday. It was the best decision I've ever made! I sometimes feel like I'm behind where I should be for my age - almost as if time stood still and my maturity halted while I was in the midst of my addiction. But I am catching up now and I definitely don't feel like it was too late. Forty is still pretty young when you think about it. Especially if you stop now! You'll live so much longer and you'll feel so much better. Good luck! xoxo
Old 02-19-2014, 08:37 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I made this thread and quickly never followed up. I have a friend if a cousin that is wants to go to a meeting with me so I think I have at least some support.

Thank you all for replying. I made this thread, and still sit here scared. I came to the point to reach out to a few different resources, I know I need the help, why is it so hard to pull the trigger and just commit?

I ham now at 4 days without a drink and a few longer without getting drunk. But I also know that 99% of the time, 1 drink leads to 15 and the cycle starts.

I am rambling,
Old 02-19-2014, 08:46 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Barbasol View Post

This has been a long time coming, I may be too late, but my marriage and kids depend on it.

I'm nearly 40 years old but I feel like a teenager when it comes to controlling my behavior
Hi Barbasol - it's not too late; you have at least half of your life still ahead of you, maybe more. Welcome to SR; we are here to help you. Check out the various sections of this site for lots of great information.
Old 02-19-2014, 08:47 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Hillbilly Girl

Glad you are here Barbasol - A great place to be for support
Old 02-19-2014, 08:52 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I made this thread and quickly never followed up. I have a friend if a cousin that is wants to go to a meeting with me so I think I have at least some support.

Thank you all for replying. I made this thread, and still sit here scared. I came to the point to reach out to a few different resources, I know I need the help, why is it so hard to pull the trigger and just commit?

I ham now at 4 days without a drink and a few longer without getting drunk. But I also know that 99% of the time, 1 drink leads to 15 and the cycle starts.

I am rambling,
Congratulations on 4 sober days. The cycle you mention is what separates an alcoholic from a normal drinker and what brought most of us to SR.
Old 02-19-2014, 08:56 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

Glad you found us again Barbasol

D
Old 02-19-2014, 10:33 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Google is an amazing tool, use it. Youwill find meetings.
12 Step Program has a very high success rate if you follow what is printed in the Big Book. You will change for the better in no time.
40 is not too late, quite young actually.
When I started drinking, i stopped growing.