Notices

6 days sober (withdrawal questions)

Old 02-06-2014, 05:50 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

6 days sober (withdrawal questions)

Hello,

I am new here. Nice to see there is a place to go online to talk about this.
I've been binge drinking for the last 7 or so years. I'd usually drink on Fridays, Sundays, and Tuesdays --- sometimes less but when I was on a roll this is was my schedule. Finally had enough of the constant hangovers while trying to function at my job, at being a parent, etc. so I had my last drink on last Friday. I have my calendar up with my little stars for each day so far that I've chosen not to drink. My main go to beverage was Coors light, sometimes wine and even sometimes whiskey (rare).
I went through some withdrawals like nausea, insomnia, gas, etc. but wondering if headaches and just an overall fatigue/fuzzy head are normal. I feel a little spaced out, have dry eyes, get kind of dizzy.
Funny thing is, although I am craving alcohol I have no intentions of taking another drink. I was laughing at myself last night when my brain started to go down that "oh I want a beer" road and I grabbed some tea instead and just dealt with those cravings.
Any advice you can give would be nice and more importantly are those items above about withdrawals normal?
Old 02-06-2014, 05:54 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I felt foggy for a while. Drink lots of water. I was dehyrated from all the alochol. Also I craved sugar. Try some hard candy or chocolate. It helps!
Old 02-06-2014, 05:55 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
~sb

alcohol affects us tremendously

give yourself time to heal

stay strong and stay stopped!
Old 02-06-2014, 06:05 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

My one piece of advice would be to start moving.

Clean your house. Rearrange your bookshelf. Plant some flowers. Take your kids swimming. Go for a walk. Command yourself to do some push ups and sit ups. Take an assessment of your surroundings, see what needs to be improved upon and then start some home improvement projects. An example would be to go through your closet and pull out everything that you haven't worn in over three years. Now pack it up and take it to goodwill After this, make a conscious effort to replace 10% of your existing wardrobe every three months with your booze money.

Most importantly, do something nice for yourself for having made it this far. Such as a manicure, a massage or simply a new pair of shoes.

Above all, never forget that today and today only will always be the most important day to remain clean and sober.

Hope this helps
Good luck and God bless
Old 02-06-2014, 08:47 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

HI PansLabyrinth - I'm right here with you... I also chose to drink heavily 3 - 4 days a week and I'm just plain tired of the process of going out to buy the alcohol, staying up way too late, going out too late, making bad decisions, and tired of feeling guilt.

I am here because I want to be a person that my son can be proud of and move past the anxiety that I have about, well, everything.

Alcohol seems to take away all anxious thoughts and stress and I even have a great time doing anything when drinking, but the guilt that I live with from 20 years of drinking is really wearing on my soul...

Looking forward to the journey.
Old 02-06-2014, 12:02 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

You are doing really well as far as I can make out xxxxxxxxxxx
Old 02-06-2014, 06:21 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I am on day 11, I still have a few dizzy spells. I also had a peak of hyperactivity around day 6-7, I was a heavy drinker (pint of vodka day). I feel good and motivated this time, I have made it through tough areas where I thought I would be tempted but made it through easier than in the past. Keep up the good work, by being drunks we are setting our children up to be drunks.