SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Alcoholism (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/)
-   -   What would you do (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/321754-what-would-you-do.html)

freethinking 02-04-2014 08:56 AM

What would you do

What would you do if you had a couple hours of free time each day but HAD to remain inside your house during that time? My place is spotless, and laundry is done, so looking for answers aside from housework.

doggonecarl 02-04-2014 09:11 AM

Free time? How wonderful.

I would read, or flush and ink up a few of my fountain pens and write a couple of letters, or write a journal entry, or watch that DVD I bought 6 months ago and never had the time to watch. Maybe I'd brush my dogs, take some pictures, and post them to my facebook page. I could make my friend a music CD of artists I know he likes. Wait, I know. I'd start that watercolor sketch I've been meaning to do...

But in reality, I don't have a couple hours of free time. Lucky you!

freethinking 02-04-2014 09:25 AM

I love your list.

Yes, I have it every day while my youngest naps. One can only clean and do so much laundry. My mind tends to think about wine at this point, so searching for ways to keep busy.

doggonecarl 02-04-2014 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by freethinking (Post 4450009)
I love your list.

Yes, I have it every day while my youngest naps. One can only clean and do so much laundry. My mind tends to think about wine at this point, so searching for ways to keep busy.

In truth, I'd probably nap too! But I knew you were seeking ideas for activities.

KateL 02-04-2014 10:03 AM

Watch a film or read. Something hilarious preferably :) xxxx

ScottFromWI 02-04-2014 10:32 AM

I can't even imagine the luxury of having 2 full hours of free time to myself each and every day. I would personally play guitar, read, and take one of the many online classes that i had planned on taking if I ever had the time.

Other things you could do in your own home: Yoga, stretching/relaxation techniques. Baking/canning/preserving food. Light remodeling - painting, etc... The list is as long as you want to make it...have fun!

PurpleKnight 02-04-2014 11:15 AM

Online Scrabble!! :c015:

Mags1 02-04-2014 11:39 AM

Think Snoozy would agree with you on that, purple x

I have quite a bit of free time as I'm learning about myself while getting stronger in sobriety every say. So not pulling any trees up just yet just gently gently, catch a monkey, whatever that means.

I am going through my home clearing and cluttering, I was a bit of a hoarder, but now my head not so jumbled my life is getting clearer.

I'm rambling again x

whiskeyman 02-04-2014 11:54 AM

How about doing a puzzle.
When i was getting sober my sponsor and therapist both recommended doing it as it kept my mind busy.

BradJustBrad 02-04-2014 12:01 PM

Since you have this time every day, how about something longer term. Check out all the free online courses at iTunes U and find something that interest you. Or if you're really adventurous, learn a new language.

TigerLili 02-04-2014 12:22 PM

I watch a lot of tv in my downtime. Currently watching all the seasons of Northern Exposure. In my first recovery, I watched all the seasons of BUffy THe Vampire Slayer. I also watch movies (working my way through the Coen Bros films) and docos. I knit or crochet blanket squares for charity while I'm watching.

freethinking 02-04-2014 12:23 PM

Wow, all awesome suggestions - thanks so much!

TigerLili 02-04-2014 01:04 PM

I learned to crochet from youtube :-)

ErikT 02-04-2014 01:07 PM

You could spend your free time on this website :ring

freethinking 02-04-2014 01:13 PM

Lol, I already spend way too much time on here!!

MsJax 02-04-2014 01:20 PM

Do you know what smashbooks are? Maybe you would like to make one or more of those. They are chaotic and there is no need for "order" which is nice. It's good for the soul to have some personal time :)

ErikT 02-04-2014 01:25 PM

writing in a journal always helps me and if you have two hours of free time....maybe...you could fill up some time with that. You could exercise....draw...paint....take a nap....cook....read....meditate....start a blog....

SillyString 02-04-2014 01:37 PM

Things I'd love to do:
  • Write in my journal
  • Watch my TV documentary/crime shows
  • Play on the internet/ipad
  • Call an old friend
  • Do my nails - and let them thoroughly dry before ruining them!

Mags1 02-04-2014 01:48 PM

What's smashbooks, MsJax?

1newcreation 02-04-2014 01:49 PM

Read a grapevine!