Notices

Would you drink if you could?

Old 02-04-2014, 03:02 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

I made what is called a Big Plan, a solemn vow to never drink NO MATTER WHAT. Unconditional permanent sobriety is what I have signed up for. So that means that nothing could ever happen that would lead me back to drinking, including a consequence free bender. I've already asked all those questions and answered them for myself.
Old 02-04-2014, 03:15 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Well youngandclean your list really didn't cover the areas where I had most problems. You mentioned: financial, relationship, legal, health.

I didn't have too many problems in those areas. I had problems with insanity and emotional illness.

You defined alcohol problems as being external, so I guess that you considered your internal processes unaffected by alcohol? In that case maybe you could drink if you could.

The first sip makes me experience instant and radical mood swings, and after 5 drinks the mental instability sets in. I wouldn't drink again because I can't.
Old 02-04-2014, 03:28 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

If you can say yes to this then you still have an active love affair with alcohol. Once I lost my love for alcohol I never have had a desire to drink again. It is romancing the habit to still think hypothetically like this and has to still be lurking just beneath the surface.

I left the habit several months ago for dead and wouldn't have it any other way. The minute I start to think like this I better seek counsel because my mindset is in the wrong place.
Old 02-04-2014, 04:06 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  
Pure Radio Rental

I hit day 50 today and I'm probably still too early on to say no to that question...
That being said I have no intention of breaking my streak. I'm finding the compulsions easing as time goes on.
Also, I would not call my relationship with alcohol a "love affair". Maybe more like having a dishonest, selfish business partner who can put one over on you in a heartbeat.
Old 02-04-2014, 04:14 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sudz No More View Post
If you can say yes to this then you still have an active love affair with alcohol. Once I lost my love for alcohol I never have had a desire to drink again. It is romancing the habit to still think hypothetically like this and has to still be lurking just beneath the surface.

I left the habit several months ago for dead and wouldn't have it any other way. The minute I start to think like this I better seek counsel because my mindset is in the wrong place.
Yes, I do have a love affair with alcohol, a dysfunctional one. I had an intense relationship with someone a while ago. It was also dysfunctional, and I would never get involved with her again, even though I still care about her. She would just pick up where she left off and destroy my life just like alcohol would if I allowed it. Just sayin.
Old 02-04-2014, 04:25 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 2muchpain View Post
Yes, I do have a love affair with alcohol, a dysfunctional one. I had an intense relationship with someone a while ago. It was also dysfunctional, and I would never get involved with her again, even though I still care about her. She would just pick up where she left off and destroy my life just like alcohol would if I allowed it. Just sayin.
The fact that you can admit that is huge and keeps you in the right mindset. Once we forget that we have a troubled relationship with alcohol it becomes very hard to avoid slips. Even though you admit to still loving alcohol you are aware that is a dangerous affair.
Old 02-04-2014, 04:34 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

I can grit my teeth and drink moderate ,But it proves to be a lot of trouble .
Old 02-04-2014, 04:40 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

I can say without a shadow of a doubt that I don't ever want to feel that buzzed feeling again. It's no longer equated with enjoyment. Only the aftermath of what occurs when I get that way.

Why even bother entertaining the thought?
Old 02-04-2014, 04:45 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  

I was actually thinking about this during a meeting last night reading the part in the big book that may be one day science would find a way for that to happen or something along those lines and right now, I would probably say no. See, I pray every day for God to remove the alcohol obsession from me and it usually works. I am happy that many days I have no desire or craving to drink.
Old 02-04-2014, 09:14 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Yes, I would. In another world, I would be drinker like many of my friends. Pick up once a week or maybe once every two weeks, have a few glasses of wine a couple nights week, relax with friends over margaritas, etc. Sure. Why not? Would have loved to have stabilized as a moderate drinker.

obviously not possible.
Old 02-04-2014, 09:23 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  

I'm not going to kid myself or anyone else. I love drinking, and smoking pot. It took a lot of pain for me to finally get the willingness to do something other then use and drink. If I could drink without causing more pain, without experiencing unmanageablitity, I would. I'm not cured of that desire, or of the disease of alcoholism. That's the reason I still go to meetings and do the work. If I don't I will drink.
Old 02-04-2014, 10:02 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  

For now, I wish I could drink, but I hope there will be a day where I no longer crave it. I wish I can have a casual drink like a lot of the people I know, but that most likely will never happen, and I don't want to try and trick myself into thinking it will.
Old 02-04-2014, 10:12 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Not even remotely interested. No intrinsic value. Already been replaced with something better. Moved on. Been there done that.

That's a good one Dee. Oh so simple but true.
Old 02-04-2014, 11:39 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Yes if there were absolutely no consequences I would drink. I quit because of the consequences and I'm at peace with the fact I can't drink. I actually enjoy it most of the time.

Hypothetically though if you removed all the pain drinking caused and left only the good I find it hard to believe so many wouldn't.
Old 02-05-2014, 04:22 AM
  # 55 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Originally Posted by YoungAndClean View Post
I was reading the "Chapter to the Agnostics" in the Big Book of AA and it mentioned a man who having had a spiritual experience, no longer wished to drink even if he could.

Im curious, if you could drink without the financial, relationship, legal, health problems associated with alcoholism, would you?
The moment I had a Spiritual Awakening, alcohol no longer played any role in my body, my life, nor in my mind. For all practical purposes, all I see alcohol as now is as a poison.
Old 02-05-2014, 04:34 AM
  # 56 (permalink)  

If I "could" drink this would be a non-question.
Old 02-05-2014, 03:20 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  

I don't go along with the notion of 'normal' drinkers. People drink to get an altered state. For the type of drinker who has a glass of champagne at a wedding, it may be only a slightly altered state of feeling more relaxed in a social setting but they consume the drug alcohol for its mind altering effects. I dont see how this is more normal than a person who drinks more frequently, or larger quantities or whatever. The only exception to this in my view are the few people who really don't like drinking but do it occasionally to 'fit in'.

I am only sober a few weeks.occasionally the thought of drinking turns my stomach. Long may it continue. Drinking offers NOTHING.
Old 02-05-2014, 03:53 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  

I can drink. I choose not to.

If you're asking me if I could remove all of the costs, risks, and side effects associated with drinking, would I do it?

My answer would still be No.

Life is like the seasons, and I am in my autumn. I enjoyed the summer season of my life but I have no desire to relive it. Aristotle once said that we are never standing still. Rather, we are constantly spiraling, either up, or down.

I agree with that statement.
Old 02-05-2014, 03:56 PM
  # 59 (permalink)  

God I LOVE that ... Being in the autumn of your live!!! That really strikes a chord with me because I do wonder about all the "fun times" being some now that the party is over.... I guess it's ok to enjoy a stiller peaceful healthier time of my life!
Old 02-05-2014, 11:13 PM
  # 60 (permalink)  
Re-Member

In my thirties a six pack lasted a month or two in my fridge. In the last two years before I quit at 58 a six pack got me through 9am - 11am. That was after my three or four shots in my coffee. I am 61 now, and very much living the life retired with no worries about me any more. I am at cause now, no longer at effect.