Notices

I need some support - how can I do this?

Old 02-03-2014, 01:53 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JustSarah View Post
I'm sure there will be something like our Nytol at your pharmacy - I found they helped me relax at night and then I slept like a log - they were a real help in the early days - I was told about kudzu on this site too actually - I wish you all the best - it's not easy, especially with the demands of children added in - my 2 drive me crackers

Good luck - you can do this xx
great. No groggy feelings the next day? I've tried tylenol pm but it makes me feel terrible for the entire morning.

thank you for the support.
Old 02-03-2014, 01:59 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I get on just fine with them - I guess it's trial and error to find what's right for you - my friend has a stressful job and sometimes takes 'calms' again I don't know if you can get them by you but they do the same thing - just herbal sleep aids .

Keep posting too and let us know how you get on xx
Old 02-03-2014, 02:09 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I get on just fine with them - I guess it's trial and error to find what's right for you - my friend has a stressful job and sometimes takes 'calms' again I don't know if you can get them by you but they do the same thing - just herbal sleep aids .

Keep posting too and let us know how you get on xx
cool, thanks. will do!
Old 02-03-2014, 02:46 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I can tell you that not sleeping is a product of the alcohol abuse. Once you have some sober time in you should notice your sleep habits changing and it feels awesome!! Prayin for ya.
Old 02-03-2014, 03:14 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I know it seems the alcohol helps you sleep, but there's a difference between sleeping and passing out.

This part sucks, but it's going to get better. Far better than those 7 days you first had.

The simple solution is just don't drink.

The hard part is, just don't drink. Try getting into a routine if you aren't already. Make sure you eat a real breakfast, even if that's something you never did before. For me, the hardest part was/is breaking the drinking routine, so you need to develop a new one.

If you know you are having trouble getting to sleep, try to schedule an extra hour of sleep each night so even if it takes an hour to fall asleep, you are still getting 8 hours. Enough sleep makes a huge difference, especially when you are first quitting drinking.

Hot teas are good for relaxing before you go to bed, as has been said here already.

Come here and read how others are coping and making it, there's lots to learn from the old timers here. And the best part is, if you don't agree, you don't have to smile and nod, just move on to something that speaks to you
Old 02-03-2014, 04:31 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Hi Frank. Your first post here reminded me why I chose my screen name! No matter what I do- when I drink, the outcome is always the same. No matter how good my intentions are- it always comes back down to "every single night".
I've proven it over and over, but hopefully once and for all.

Isn't it crazy how we can sorta' justify drinking because of insomnia, even when we know it will cause a hangover- and yet we avoid taking sleep-aids because we don't want to feel "groggy" or become "dependent"? LOL No judgment intended- I'm saying this as an alcoholic insomniac that's tried everything under the moon to get rest, and I totally relate! :-)

One thing is for sure, being tired from a lack of sleep with zero booze in the system- beats being hungover any day of the week! For some people, insomnia is a lifelong battle. It just IS. That may or may not be the case with you.

If insomnia is NOT going to be a lifelong battle for you- it WILL get better with more sober time and good sleep hygiene. If insomnia IS going to be a lifelong battle for you- it's even MORE imperative to avoid alcohol, because it really does make things worse.

In my case- I wake up at the same time every day no matter how tired I am. No, it's not fun. But when I stick to it, I end up getting more rest over time because I eventually end up falling asleep earlier. Insomnia is just one of my special talents- I do all of the sleep hygiene stuff- but since I'm super gifted at being oober mentally active while the rest of the world is sleeping- I just accept it. I accept that some days I'll be yawning- but I'll get through it. Worse things have happened! :-)

I'm glad you're looking into AVRT. AVRT really helps me! Also, your doctor may be able to prescribe you non-narco/benzo medication to help with cravings. I take a med for that and I believe that it's been very helpful. I realize some folks object to that, but it works for me.

I think a good place to start is by doing what you're doing right now! :-) And besides all of the other great advice you've gotten here- think about setting up a doctor's appointment. There is a lot that they can do from a medical standpoint and if nothing else they can be a good resource for getting you pointed in the right direction.

Keep posting! Looking forward to hearing more from you.
ESN

Last edited by EverySngleNight; 02-03-2014 at 04:33 PM. Reason: Whoa... were 3 smileys really necessary? I'm gonna just go with it.
Old 02-03-2014, 08:48 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I like the idea of Rational Recovery. It helped me a lot. What also helped was taking some art classes with the money I would have spent on alcohol. I took watercolor classes, which are fun because you can just put the water on, add paint, and watch it flow. Easy to make abstracts. And pottery, which is just awesome. They kept my brain happy and busy.

Also, exercise and meditation. At least every other day. Start small if you have not done either. These things all helped me stay quit.
Best,
Nancy
Old 02-03-2014, 08:49 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Oh, and instead of alcohol, I got into the habit of tea or hot cider when the drinking time would have started. They are sweet if you add a little sugar to the tea, and very soothing. I love the herbal teas like orange and coolata. When I am drinking them, I think of how much more I like them than I did alcohol.
Old 02-04-2014, 02:11 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Hey Frank - how did you get on last night ? Hope you made it through ok - you can do this
Old 02-04-2014, 05:33 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Hey Frank - how did you get on last night ? Hope you made it through ok - you can do this
Hi Sarah! I had three beers because I am detoxing right now. I'm actually pretty proud of that since I'm used to having several liqour drinks. I plan on having 3 beers per night for the next week or so, then reducing to 2, etc.

I spent some time in the hot tub, then read for an hour and went to sleep by midnight. unfortunately I didn't fall asleep 'til 4 I even took these things called alteril, something like that, to help me fall asleep naturally. no dice annnd then got up at 730 to get the kids ready for school. so yeah I'm pretty much a zombie right now lol

thanks for checking in
Old 02-04-2014, 05:34 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by EverySngleNight View Post
Hi Frank. Your first post here reminded me why I chose my screen name! No matter what I do- when I drink, the outcome is always the same. No matter how good my intentions are- it always comes back down to "every single night".
I've proven it over and over, but hopefully once and for all.

Isn't it crazy how we can sorta' justify drinking because of insomnia, even when we know it will cause a hangover- and yet we avoid taking sleep-aids because we don't want to feel "groggy" or become "dependent"? LOL No judgment intended- I'm saying this as an alcoholic insomniac that's tried everything under the moon to get rest, and I totally relate! :-)

One thing is for sure, being tired from a lack of sleep with zero booze in the system- beats being hungover any day of the week! For some people, insomnia is a lifelong battle. It just IS. That may or may not be the case with you.

If insomnia is NOT going to be a lifelong battle for you- it WILL get better with more sober time and good sleep hygiene. If insomnia IS going to be a lifelong battle for you- it's even MORE imperative to avoid alcohol, because it really does make things worse.

In my case- I wake up at the same time every day no matter how tired I am. No, it's not fun. But when I stick to it, I end up getting more rest over time because I eventually end up falling asleep earlier. Insomnia is just one of my special talents- I do all of the sleep hygiene stuff- but since I'm super gifted at being oober mentally active while the rest of the world is sleeping- I just accept it. I accept that some days I'll be yawning- but I'll get through it. Worse things have happened! :-)

I'm glad you're looking into AVRT. AVRT really helps me! Also, your doctor may be able to prescribe you non-narco/benzo medication to help with cravings. I take a med for that and I believe that it's been very helpful. I realize some folks object to that, but it works for me.

I think a good place to start is by doing what you're doing right now! :-) And besides all of the other great advice you've gotten here- think about setting up a doctor's appointment. There is a lot that they can do from a medical standpoint and if nothing else they can be a good resource for getting you pointed in the right direction.

Keep posting! Looking forward to hearing more from you.
ESN
Thanks for sharing. I'm like that as well (working late at night and being very creative). I really enjoy writing when I can't seem to sleep. Insomnia started to be a problem for me when I was around 18. I'm 27 now and still having the issues. Hopefully my detox from alcohol will change that.

Stay in touch
Old 02-04-2014, 05:36 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sanantoniosober View Post
I know it seems the alcohol helps you sleep, but there's a difference between sleeping and passing out.

This part sucks, but it's going to get better. Far better than those 7 days you first had.

The simple solution is just don't drink.

The hard part is, just don't drink. Try getting into a routine if you aren't already. Make sure you eat a real breakfast, even if that's something you never did before. For me, the hardest part was/is breaking the drinking routine, so you need to develop a new one.

If you know you are having trouble getting to sleep, try to schedule an extra hour of sleep each night so even if it takes an hour to fall asleep, you are still getting 8 hours. Enough sleep makes a huge difference, especially when you are first quitting drinking.

Hot teas are good for relaxing before you go to bed, as has been said here already.

Come here and read how others are coping and making it, there's lots to learn from the old timers here. And the best part is, if you don't agree, you don't have to smile and nod, just move on to something that speaks to you
thank you took me four hours to fall asleep last night *sigh* I should sleep fine tonight though since I'm so tired (I hope). I'm also going to try some hot tea per your, and other forum user's suggestion
Old 02-04-2014, 06:42 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Awww - I hope you get some kip tonight - lately I find im nackered at 4pm then wide awake at 9 pm - it's so frustrating - I'm learning to cope though - a nice hot bath always helps once the kids are in bed too .

Well done with the cutting down - I prob had 3 beers a night most nights (binges are my biggest problem and then it would be whatever i could get my hands on) and when I stopped completely I had about 5 nights of just sweating as I slept - not nice but all part of the process I guess - feeling loads better now on day 14

Hang in there
Old 02-04-2014, 07:23 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Awww - I hope you get some kip tonight - lately I find im nackered at 4pm then wide awake at 9 pm - it's so frustrating - I'm learning to cope though - a nice hot bath always helps once the kids are in bed too .

Well done with the cutting down - I prob had 3 beers a night most nights (binges are my biggest problem and then it would be whatever i could get my hands on) and when I stopped completely I had about 5 nights of just sweating as I slept - not nice but all part of the process I guess - feeling loads better now on day 14

Hang in there
congrats on day 14 first time I tried to go sober I had the same thing with the night sweats. really sucks. and yeah, same thing with me. late afternoon comes and I feel like I could pass out. then my second wind comes early in the night.

you hang in there too!
Old 02-08-2014, 09:11 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

just bumping this up to let everyone know I'm still in my detox process. Not easy. many sleepless nights. *sigh*
Old 02-08-2014, 09:23 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

If you don't mind me asking, how much have you tapered down to each night?

Since this is still so new, your body may see those first couple of drinks as just getting started, tricking your brain into "waking up" and then not letting you sleep because it's expecting more alcohol before it lets you sleep.

Good luck, keep the updates coming.
Old 02-09-2014, 03:01 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sanantoniosober View Post
If you don't mind me asking, how much have you tapered down to each night?

Since this is still so new, your body may see those first couple of drinks as just getting started, tricking your brain into "waking up" and then not letting you sleep because it's expecting more alcohol before it lets you sleep.

Good luck, keep the updates coming.
That's probably exactly what has happened. I went from having about 8-10 mixed liquor drinks per night to having only beer, 3 per night as of right now.
Old 02-11-2014, 12:53 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

How about melatonin? It comes as liquid or pill. It's the same stuff your body produces to make you sleepy. Take some about 15 min before you want to sleep. Good luck!
Old 02-11-2014, 02:44 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  
Administrator

What worked for us may not always work for others so it's best to check with your Dr before taking any supplements, Frank

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ml#post4325123

No offense, Road

D
Old 02-11-2014, 02:57 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

No that's good to know. My dr recommended it for my kids so I had no idea!