Notices

Drunk dream leaving me wanting to drink

Old 02-02-2014, 09:00 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Poison Eater Extraordinaire

Drunk dream leaving me wanting to drink

Usually when I have a drunk dream, I end up feeling relieved I haven't drank. Today, my drunk dream left me WANTING to drink.

I don't see how I am going to get through this week. My head is just not in the right place at all.
Old 02-02-2014, 09:03 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I have has a few drunk dreams..always drinking whiskey for some reason. I feel drunk in the dream and I feel drunk when i wake up...strange
Old 02-02-2014, 09:57 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Urges will pass.

If you need to give in to something, find something that is ok to give into. Buy some chocolate, go out for good dinner, go to the theater – do not give into alcohol.

It is not worth it and it involved way to much pain afterwards.
Old 02-02-2014, 10:29 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Sometimes, rarely, I've had dreams of being on a date with an ex. No matter how pleasant the dream interaction, the person is an ex for a lot of fantastic reasons, and I would never want to be hanging out with them in the real world. Same with alcohol!! Remember the last hangover, how awful the withdrawals were. Go online and watch some you tube videos of people talking about relapse, and how it took them right back to a really dark place. Most importantly, just do not drink!!
Old 02-02-2014, 01:06 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Yeah, I have loads of dreams of being with my ex and wake up thinking yuk!! same with the drinking dreams. Just try to keep occupied and these feeling will pass xxxx
Old 02-02-2014, 01:54 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by freethinking View Post
Usually when I have a drunk dream, I end up feeling relieved I haven't drank. Today, my drunk dream left me WANTING to drink.

I don't see how I am going to get through this week. My head is just not in the right place at all.
what are you gonna do about that freethinking?
how can you shore up your recovery?

D
Old 02-02-2014, 02:29 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Poison Eater Extraordinaire

I went out to lunch and did some shopping to take my mind off....heading to a meeting in a bit. Day went much better than anticipated. Thank God I left the house.
Old 02-03-2014, 08:09 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I may dream about a Porsche, but I don't get up and buy one. It was just a dream.
Old 02-16-2014, 08:11 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

drunk dream..

I read recovered alcoholics will have dreams about drinking. Seems unfair tho. I always dream drinks are being poured for me..or I am surrounded by full drinks. I wake up and I never took a drink in dream. But I always think oh no..this crap is coming to get me now. I guess u gotta do the mind over matter thing. Shopping good idea. I like going to a bookstore and read. Hope all goes well for u freethinking...
Old 02-17-2014, 01:51 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I had two dreams about buying alcohol (for some strange reason not about drinking it, I was in a shop, my wife was with me). They were nightmares actually, not dreams, and I woke up sweating, with a racing heart.

These occurred around the time I was 4 months and 6 months sober.

I never experienced waking up and *wanting* to drink though (and I'm very glad I didn't). Still, sleep is when our brain processes all the little do-dats it has encountered. A part of that brain is used to getting fed alcohol (some scientists say it's all in the midbrain - but I don't really think it's worth a discussion), and wants it back. Your rational mind does not want it back. These parts of your brain fight and have conflicting interests. They sometimes slug it out during sleep, when the rational brain mostly wants to be left alone.

Which is normal; much of our behaviour is governed by conflicting interests.

See what you can do about it (and it sounds you already found out: go out, keep occupied, give yourself a little present), and you'll be amazed how quickly it can go away again.