Notices

Detoxing

Old 01-30-2014, 05:19 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Detoxing

I have been 4 days sober, I am determined this time. I have not had the shakes or muscle spasms. I am going cold turkey, I have a lot of support. I just found out the other night that cold turkey can be dangerous. If all I have is cravings and no real physical signs, am I probably OK? I never had signs when I have tried in the past. I saw my life spinning down the drain this time so I am the most motivated I have ever been, and the NATGEO episode of "DRUGGED: alcohol" scared the **** out of me. I never knew you could die by quitting.
Old 01-30-2014, 05:40 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hey, sweetums-Yup...I thought I was going to Die back in September and looking back I perhaps SHOULD have gone to Hospital. I obviously made it through but took an AWFUL chance Withdrawing at Home...
Old 01-30-2014, 06:07 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

If I am not feeling physical affects now, am I still in danger?
Old 01-31-2014, 02:58 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

If you are concerned sweetums you should see a doctor.

Anyone that I have heard having withdrawal symptoms gets them nearly immediately and they seem to peak around day 4 and pretty much finish in the first week - although the brain fog can continue for some time.

I'm not a doctor, this is solely based on what I have heard/read. I also read the what can happen when withdrawing thread after I had been sober a few days and it freaked me out. I did go to a doctor around that time and it put my mind at ease.
Old 01-31-2014, 04:19 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Be careful! My dad went cold turkey some time a go, he had a seizure. Not a very pleasant sight. And also very dangerous but he survived for now.
Old 01-31-2014, 04:37 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi. That was a very powerful and accurate show. Death by deteriorating body organs is a horrible way to go, and have seen to many go that way. One would have been too many. It's called alcoholism. Called Cunning, baffling and powerful for a reason. I strongly point out that if an alcoholic continues to drink things (us) will get worse continually.
In AA it's said that we can end up incarcerated, in a mental institution, dead or worse in my eyes continue in the pains presently we are currently living.
We have choices.

BE WELL
Old 01-31-2014, 04:41 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I have detoxed on my own a few times, each progressively worse, and I should have seen a doctor. That said, my worst days were always days 1 and 2, then mostly just foggy on day 3 still with some sweats, and feeling pretty ok by day 4-on. I drank a lot (more than 750ml hard liquor/day and night). I think everyone is different. Good luck and hopefully you are out of the woods. If you're concerned about anything, a visit to the doctor to touch base is never a bad idea!
Old 01-31-2014, 02:02 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thank you all DAY 5, Fridays are usually my worst, not a bad day! Anxiety was up a bit, but I was putting in my 2 weeks notice to work per Diem, all went well. NO CRAVINGS!!! still going to stay away from the shopping plaza with "THE" store in it, don't need temptation right now, but I am feeling like I may have it this time, I know it's early, but have never felt this good on day 5!!!
Old 01-31-2014, 07:09 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

What are ya doing on a Friday night
Old 01-31-2014, 07:35 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Pure Radio Rental

I call it the three days of hell.
Just the thought of having to go through them again really deters me from drinking.
Old 02-01-2014, 06:05 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

If you are on day 5 and you are not having physical symptoms, I'd say the worst is over. If you feel anxious over the next few days I recommend a hot bath for anxiety. That really helped me the first month. Also this early in, drink as much water as you can stand to get the toxins out of your body. Sounds like you are well on your way. Good luck.
Old 02-01-2014, 06:15 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I got Chinese, "ROOT"beer, Ice cream, sat and watched movies with my wife and kids and made root beer floats, great time, I have missed these times over the last year as I was slipping.
Old 02-01-2014, 10:05 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I'm on day 5 too!! I don't have any physical symptoms either. Too be honest - I wasn't worried about having them either. The only symptom I have is how AWESOME I feel every morning waking up without a hangover
Old 02-02-2014, 02:56 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

That's really cool to make root bear floats with the kids! Hope your sat went well and you are enjoying sunday
Old 02-02-2014, 07:05 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

On day 9 and I feel great. Eating a lot though, the sweats stopped after day 3 and Stephen King stopped directing my nightmares on day 5... so all seems good. I drink a lot of water, almost a gallon a day.
Old 02-02-2014, 07:51 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Very glad to hear you made it through the worse of it. I detoxed at home 50 days ago and it was hell. I probably should have been under a doctor's watch, but thankfully I made it through. I am currently tapping into that painful memory whenever I have a serious craving. The best part is that we never have to detox again if we stay sober.