Notices

Is this normal?

Old 01-30-2014, 03:43 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Is this normal?

Well, I have had a good week so far. I had a job interview on Tuesday which went well, though I haven't heard back yet.

I am hugely proud that I did it. It was a big step for me as I usually get so nervous, but I surprised myself by being surprisingly calm.

As some of you know, I am 33 years old, unemployed and live with my parents. My mom and I have issues...

I am going away for the weekend...and I am sooooooo excited!! I am going to my Grans tomorrow night, and my friend and I are going to Dublin on Saturday. I am really looking forward to the break, going to Starbucks for a grande chai latte and a lemon and poppy seed muffin, walking around St Stephens Green and going for sushi. My excitement is sky high, almost child-like.

It makes a change from when I was locking myself away in my bedsit with two bottles of wine a night. My emotions are more intense and my friend said to me the other day: "you are different to how you used to be". I said "in what way?" She said "well you are smiling these days. I know when you got Bell's Palsy it was difficult for you, but you are a changed person since you got back from Spain".

I was rooting through the attic today and I found a school project I did when I was 12. It's about my family. The first few pages are about my family tree, then about my family ("my dad is the best dad" you get the picture) and the last pages are paragraphs my dad, sister and brother wrote about me when I was 12. (I recall my mom refused to do it. She said at the time "it's just an excuse for those nosy nuns to get information about us").

Anyway dad wrote all those years ago:

"You were a happy and beautiful baby. In fact when you were happy, you were incredibly happy; when sad, incredibly sad. You appear to have a great range of feeling. This is a gift that will help you understand and sympathise with others and I hope you will use it well". (Sorry, my eyes filled up re-reading that.)

So, I guess I am wondering is it normal to be so enthusiastic? It's only Dublin, not New York
Old 01-30-2014, 03:52 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I think it's awesome, blossom!

I'm learning with all of this not to look a gift horse in the mouth. Some days are good, some are great, some are meh & some truly suck. My goal is to take each for what it is, celebrate when I can, accept when I can't and keep on moving. Each emotion I've been thru doesn't last forever and neither will yours. It's up to me to make the best of and/or learn from them.

Enjoy every second of Dublin & have a muffin for me! See it thru the eyes of that little girl you once were. You deserve it, Tetra. We all do!!

Btw, I'd give my right arm to be going to "only" Dublin this weekend!!
Old 01-30-2014, 04:12 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Enjoy your weekend Tetra. It's wonderful to have weekends to look forward to, and a clear enough head to look forward to them with...the stuff sobriety is made of :-)

And it's not New York....yet ;-)

Have a great time
Old 01-30-2014, 04:21 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
AA member

Enjoy the weekend,Dublin is a fantastic city.It is good that you are excited about going.
Old 01-30-2014, 04:27 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Dublin's a great city!! you'll have a fantastic weekend!! . . . have a great time!!
Old 01-30-2014, 04:31 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Sounds fun, enjoy it! I'll take Dublin as my first choice
Old 01-30-2014, 05:05 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

For various reasons I don't get out much - I'm going to lunch today and I feel pretty good about that...so yeah it's normal

have fun Tetra

D
Old 01-30-2014, 06:09 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Dublin! I'll trade you places - Pacific NW US in exchange. have a great time - I'm excited that you're excited!!
Old 01-30-2014, 06:49 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Yes, you should be excited! Going to Dublin sounds pretty darn snazzy even for us big city slickers. I love the energy you find in different places - each city has it's own feel and it's fun when it suits your mood. I think you will have a great time. Enjoy!
Old 02-01-2014, 06:12 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I love that you get that excited. Sounds awesome to me. I love any weekend getaway. It could be a lake an hour away and I'm excited as a child like you. Have a great weekend.
Old 02-01-2014, 07:11 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Have a wonderful time and just enjoy the enthusiasm..no need to analyze it