Notices

Checking in

Old 01-29-2014, 01:50 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Checking in

Hey

Over 14 months clean now, for me.

I got the urge to check in with you guys yesterday though, to remind me to stay vigilant.

I did not feel like drinking, and do not get the compulsion to do so ever now, really, but I had a weird feeling that now the memory of all the pain I went through is fading, I might accidentally drink again, without thinking what I am doing. This might sound a bit weird, but I suppose what I mean is that it has been fairly good for me of late, and I am not feeling like I am battling against my addiction at the moment, so if presented with a drink or anything else, I might forget that I can not consume it, and slip up.

Hope that makes sense. I needed to post this here to stick a flag in the ground for myself, to say, I am still a drug addict, even if I am not feeling like one at the moment and I need to realise that and be careful.

Wishing you the best and hoping you are all getting through this hell, no matter what stage you are at.

Cheers.
Old 01-29-2014, 02:00 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats on 14 months plus

but I dunno TD...I might have done that once, but not anymore.

I finally accepted that taking a drink is not just taking a drink for me - it's the start of a whole host of other things that I don't to be a part of anymore.

If you've accepted that too, then taking a drink will never be just taking a drink for you you either.

It can't ever be just a casual unthinking decision again - not once you accept the implications, and although you might wrestle with doubt, you'll have nothing to fear

But if you're still not sure, well then yeah - maybe there's some work to do?

D
Old 01-29-2014, 02:01 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

It makes perfect sense and something that I look forward to.

I totally believe that with work and some time that you can become indifferent to alcohol.
I am so happy for you and you won't believe this but you have actually made my day.

Congratulations
Old 01-29-2014, 02:03 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Oh, I am absolutely sure I do not want to.

Perhaps I didn't phrase my post properly. I guess I mean it has been so long for me now, that I have not taken any drugs or drunk any alcohol, I felt like I was in danger of forgetting about the problem.

I was worried that if I did forget about it, I might end up drinking or taking drugs again. I am most likely over-thinking this, and the subconscious reason I am posting is just to tell myself I am still off drugs and off alcohol.

All good though. I am clean and will remain clean.
Old 01-29-2014, 02:05 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Notimetoloose View Post
It makes perfect sense and something that I look forward to.

I totally believe that with work and some time that you can become indifferent to alcohol.
I am so happy for you and you won't believe this but you have actually made my day.

Congratulations
Right, that is perhaps a better way to put what I was trying to say; I have grown indifferent to it, and it was this transition that was a bit scary for me, as if I am now indifferent to it, I am not actively staying away from it, which made me slightly worry about my resolve and steel.
Old 01-29-2014, 02:06 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Did I misread your post, I was thinking you were just checking in to keep your guard up.
I think I am not sure... now
Congratulations on 14 months...Dont drink ever!
Old 01-29-2014, 02:08 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Ok gotcha.

Over analysis is something a lot of us are prone too. It has its good points - and its bad.

Indifference is not the same as complacency.

I'm indifferent to others drinking. ads on TV films and the like, but I'm not complacent about any idea I might have to one day join them.

Doubt is a pretty common human emotion anyway, alcoholics or not, but without grounds, I think you'll soon wave it away again
enjoy those months you've clocked up

D
Old 01-29-2014, 02:10 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Its really Kewl TD...Yes I think the trick is to take drinking out of our lives forever.
I am really happy for you. You are an inspiration.
Old 01-29-2014, 02:13 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Congrats on over fourteen months clean and sober! That's fantastic!
Old 01-29-2014, 03:25 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Well done xxxx